Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

diffraction vs depth of field for Q

I have a question for more veteran Q users. If one were taking a photo of a landscape and wanted maximum depth of field would you shoot at f7 or f8 or just shoot at f4 to prevent diffraction. As I understand it diffraction starts getting bad around f5.6. Lets say you were using the 02 lens and it's said to be sharpest at f4 would that be enough dof for a vast landscape or would you opt to stop down further? Thanks for any help or insights into this.

02-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
f/5.6 is still reasonable to use. I'd say it's roughly equivalent to f/16 on APS-C for a similar image, in terms of both diffraction and DOF.
02-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find it depends on the lens. With the 02, f:4 to f:5.6 is good. A couple of my other non-Q adapted lenses are best at f:5.6 to f:8. DOF with the Q is pretty deep. You should get all the DOF you need at 5.6.
02-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If you are shooting wide angle landscapes then I would say shoot as wide open as you can. The has plenty DoF for landscapes due to the smaller sensor size. Check out this review of the 01 lens:

Pentax-01 Standard Prime 8.5mm f/1.9 (Pentax Q) - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

I would say that maximum resolution is achieved starting at f/2.8 before it starts to fall at f/4. Maybe f/3 is ideal? I don't know. You'll have to try it for yourself and see what you think. Diffraction became very evident to me as I started going beyond f/4. Yes, I seem to get more DoF but at the expense of overall sharpness - at least to my eye.

The 02 lens is similar:

Pentax-02 Standard Zoom 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 (Pentax Q) - Review / Lens Test - Analysis

I posted a landscape shot made with the 01 at f/2.8 here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-233.html#post2680170

If your Q is overwhelmed with light then lower the ISO and turn on the ND filter. Building a switchable ND filter into the Q system was a stroke of genius from Pentax in my book

02-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and tips. Yeah that ND filter is really handy so you don't have to stop down as much in bright conditions. I thought of that too and have used it a few times. Looks like even 2.8 on the prime is suitable for landscape. I saw some really nice Q photos on flickr by various people that shot at f7 and f8 so I was just wondering if there was any benefit there or they just did that cause it was so bright out. Check out this stunning Q shot taken at f7.1. Wonder why they chose those settings here since a sunset isn't usually super bright.

02-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Understanding Your Camera’s Hyperfocal Distance <- Handy calculator on site.

I thinking that there's not generally a lot of point in going past... f/4-4.5 even in very bright conditions. There's the ND filter and the electronic shutter with max of 1/8000. Easy enough to avoid diffraction.

Last edited by Multi-coated; 02-07-2014 at 09:41 PM.
02-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The shooter in the ocean / beach landscape above has some shoreline that is very close to him. He wanted that to be in focus. Many landscape shots tend to have the camera pointed slightly upward so the closest thing to the camera (which is near the bottom of the shot) is actually pretty far away. It's so far away that even at f/2.8 it will come into focus. The sand in the shot above looks like it may only be 10 feet away and the shooter may have crouched down to capture it.

It would be great to have taken this shot twice - once at f/2.8 and once at f/8. When you compare the shots side by side you will pick out what would be the diffraction. You would also see the sand be a bit softer too.