Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 07:09 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
fingerprint on the protective glas

just noticed during a lens switch that there is a fingerprint in the protective glas in front of the sensor on my Q ... WWJD ?!

02-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First I'd check to see if it actually causes a problem...then if it does get a sensor cleaning kit.
How did you manage that, anyway - or did it come this way?
02-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It would be easy to get a fingerprint on the sensor of the Q while changing lenses. I think they should've put a protective shutter over the sensor that's opened whenever a lens is mounted. I would think it would've been fairly simple & cheap to implement.
02-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I accidentally touched the sensor of my Q7 with a fingertip the very first time I mounted a lens. It happens. The sensor is very close to the body surface.

So far I haven't worried about it.

02-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
i dont know how i got my fingers on the thing.
since its not the sensor itself but a peace of protective glas or plastic ... do i need a sensor cleaning kit ?!
02-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
i dont know how i got my fingers on the thing.
since its not the sensor itself but a peace of protective glas or plastic ... do i need a sensor cleaning kit ?!
Yes, the sensor cleaning kits are designed to clean the top layer that covers the sensor.

I'd be inclined to clean it even if I couldn't detect any image degradation as there might be acids in the fingerprint oils that may tend to etch the surface over time.
02-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Pre-moistened sensor sticks for Q

Pre-moistened sensor cleaning sticks, such as Eclipse, are too wide to clean that glass sensor cover in the Q. A fingerprint on that glass, if its effect is not apparent in any image, I would not worry about. I trimmed a sensor cleaner to fit, but it is still a very difficult item to clean and probably not worth the trouble. I only attempted to get a print off my Q because I'm now using the Q7 and had little to lose by trying, but I did not find it a useful exercise. If anyone has a better solution than trimming a sensor stick to fit that small area, it would be nice to hear.

Yes, a print can get on the Q glass easily. Mine was printed by a friend at a bar who reached over saying "what's that" and picked up my Q from the back while I was changing lenses. It is brilliant that there is a multi-coated piece of glass to protect the sensor, but it's easy to touch. Be careful.

02-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would also just go a regular sensor cleaning swap/kit for it.
02-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #9

Original Poster
small flange focal distances arent that appealing to me now as they where before .... how do you manage a sony A7R without always worrying about the sensor ?!