Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The Pentax-M 3.5/135mm tele makes for a whopping 756mm equivalent super-tele on the Q. Pick one of those up for $40 or so used and a cheap $20 Fotodiox K to Q adapter, and you're in business. That particular lens is a good performer on the Q, it's very compact, and even has a handy built-in slide-out lens hood. I bought one specifically to use on the Q.

If you go that route, you may also scout around for this Pentax-A f 4/35-70 zoom. It makes a very handy 200-400mm equivalent zoom on the Q, and is also a good performer. They're also typically pretty cheap.

There are some good C-mount lenses, but there are many more good K-mounts, and they might even be cheaper. Plus, you can use them on a Pentax DSLR, should you ever take the plunge.
Awesome! Thanks for the links. It's rather daunting delving into all the old lenses and trying to figure out what the crop factor will turn them into on the Q.
The help is much appreciated, and I bet I'll pick up one of those soon. Probably starting with the supertele and then filling in the closer range with the 200-400mm.
Also it's a good point about using them on a Pentax DSLR. I might get a K50 towards the end of this year and I'd still get to use them then

Last edited by MykeBatez; 02-27-2014 at 10:10 AM.
02-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MykeBatez Quote
It's rather daunting delving into all the old lenses and trying to figure out what the crop factor will turn them into on the Q.
All ya gotta do is multiply the focal length x 5.6.

So: a 50mm lens would be a 280mm equivalent. (50 x 5.6 = 280) etc,etc.

Keep in mind if you're using a supertele (like the 135 on the Q) you need a real steady hand or a tripod. And you'll want to keep you shutter speed up to 1/750 or faster for handheld shots, since that lens is a 756mm equivalent on the Q.

An easy rule of thumb for handheld shooting is whatever the focal length of your lens is (or rather what the equivalent is on the Q), that fraction of a second is the rough minimum shutter speed you'll want to use handheld. And even then, you'll probably get some shaky shots, so you can shoot several of each subject & pick the best one.

Congrats on getting the Q. You're gonna have a ball with it! :-)
02-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MykeBatez Quote
Awesome! Thanks for the links. It's rather daunting delving into all the old lenses and trying to figure out what the crop factor will turn them into on the Q.
The help is much appreciated, and I bet I'll pick up one of those soon. Probably starting with the supertele and then filling in the closer range with the 200-400mm.
Also it's a good point about using them on a Pentax DSLR. I might get a K50 towards the end of this year and I'd still get to use them then
One thing to consider, and my situation is different, I have 55 K and M42 lenses, so my curiosity in C Mount is super small. The 25/1.4 I got is 1/4 the size and weight of either my tamron 24/2.5 or the kiron 24/2 .and it is a full stop faster than either of my other 24mm lenses. Plus a C mount adaptor is much smaller than the K-Q adaptor

But once you go to tele lenses, I see no point unless I happen to come across a C mount that really shines, because once you get to the 100mm+ focal length! the front element size required for the aperture dominates lens size

Also, for old pentax lenses, there are K to canon, M42 to canon, and for all mirror less cameras made by everyone else, there are likely K&M42 adaptors, you don't need to stay with pentax to use the lenses, but once you try a pentax camera, and I suggest do this first, then play with the canikons you'll decide pretty quickly that pentax has a lot to offer
02-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Also, for old pentax lenses, there are K to canon, M42 to canon, and for all mirror less cameras made by everyone else, there are likely K&M42 adaptors, you don't need to stay with pentax to use the lenses, but once you try a pentax camera, and I suggest do this first, then play with the canikons you'll decide pretty quickly that pentax has a lot to offer
Oh yeah, I've already looked at Canon and Nikon's offerings and decided I like Pentax's much more. The value is better and as far as I can tell Pentax has by far the best menu system out of the 3. I'm looking at getting a K30 or K50 sometime in the next year.

03-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #20

Original Poster
...And the results are in folks! I received the lens about a week ago and I've been experimenting with it ever since.
Here are a few of the shots I've taken, not all of them have turned out so good, but I assume thats part of the experience with this lens.
Hope you guys like em,
~M

03-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried c-mount lenses on the Q7? I'm surprised to find no one with any experience with this yet