Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #1

Cheap C-Mount Experiment

Hey Q forum,
I was bumbling around on Amazon last night, looking for some new glass to experiment with on my Q and I stumbled upon this.
It's a really bright and fast manual C-mount lens that's cheaper than dirt. Nothing super special, but I think the manual, smooth aperture would be fun to experiment with on the Q. I think I'll be ordering it along with this adaptor and seeing how the Q handles with this little lens.

I'll be updating the thread with shots once I get ahold of it and I'd love to hear what you guys think
~M

02-14-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Quite a few of us already went that route and you won't be disappointed.
My only recommendation - if you get that lens, make sure you get the 12 blade version!!
02-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Forum Member

I have got one of those and they are a pretty good lens for the price.
I see that there is alo a Fujian 50mm C mount, I have been tempted, but not sure if it is as good.
02-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep... It's the first C-mount lens I bought, and you can't beat it for the price. Pretty cool little lens.

If you want something a bit longer, and even better, this Industar 2.8 / 55mm lens in M39 mount is a gem. No fringing, even wide open, and it's tiny size makes it a great fit for the Q. It's the equivalent of a 308mm tele on the Q and takes up very little bag space.

02-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a lot of 25/1.4, 37/1.8 and 50/1.4 c mount lenses for about $40. How good are any of them on the Q . Specifically how much better would my K50/1.4 or my 8 element Tak 50/1.4 be than these lenses?

Aside from the size, which is attractive, are they worth it considering what I already have with the pentax lenses? The 25/1.4 seems intriguing fast and small and about right for portraits

Anyone ever tried D mount lenses? There are tons of 8mm cameras in garage sales
02-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to try a 25/1.4. Ordered it tonight, should have it in a few days
02-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

I have the 25mm f1.4 lens. It's ok. You'll get some purple fringing and such and it's a little soft but it's a fun lens for the money. Has nice swirly bokeh.

02-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, got the lens, still waiting for the adaptor. Not sure all lenses are equal but mine cameo from russia.

Lens has excellent focusing dampening, and 330 degree focus throw, for fine control over focus, my k and M42 , 24mm lenses are 120 degrees throw so not as good considering crop factor and effective focal length.

Lens is a Fixed Rear Element design

Lens has a round aperture at all f stops

Lens has no aperture clicks
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let us know how the adapter turns out...
02-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There are a lot of 25/1.4, 37/1.8 and 50/1.4 c mount lenses for about $40. How good are any of them on the Q . Specifically how much better would my K50/1.4 or my 8 element Tak 50/1.4 be than these lenses?

Aside from the size, which is attractive, are they worth it considering what I already have with the pentax lenses? The 25/1.4 seems intriguing fast and small and about right for portraits

Anyone ever tried D mount lenses? There are tons of 8mm cameras in garage sales

You have to be careful with the D mount lenses unless you don't mind vignetting. Stick with lenses that do not have long bodies.
Let us know how the 25mm C mount turns out. Is it one of those fujian brand lenses?
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Let us know how the adapter turns out...
QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
You have to be careful with the D mount lenses unless you don't mind vignetting. Stick with lenses that do not have long bodies.
Let us know how the 25mm C mount turns out. Is it one of those fujian brand lenses?
The lens has no marked brand but came from Russia, or at least Eastern Europe . Adaptor is still likely a week or so away as it comes from china

D mount lenses will be a garage sale type experiment, c mount seems to be the ideal format, but I do note that in D mount there are some very short focal lengths out there
02-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
Just ordered this tonight along with yet another Wasabi Power battery ( never can have too many). I'm excited to see how the lens performs, especially with that macro ring.

Only unfortunate part is that I have to wait 17-28 business days for it to ship from across the pond.
Once it gets here I'll be sure to post a test shot or two
~M
02-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MykeBatez Quote
Just ordered this tonight along with yet another Wasabi Power battery ( never can have too many). I'm excited to see how the lens performs, especially with that macro ring.

Only unfortunate part is that I have to wait 17-28 business days for it to ship from across the pond.
Once it gets here I'll be sure to post a test shot or two
~M
It will be really interesting to see, as with my 25/1.4 when the adaptor arrives. I went for the 25 because I am looking to top out the long end of a travel kit.

The Q has an advantage over my DSLR and legacy lenses in terms of size. That's for sure, and why I am looking at CMounts. But going much longer than 25mm physics takes over. No matter how compact they try, a 50/1.4 MUST be a minimum of 36mm in diameter plus what ever "packaging" is needed, so I do not see lenses of this length being much more compact than their k mount equivalents,

If I want longer, then I have a ton of M42 and K mount lenses for super tele, but that is not normally my need for travel.

Hopefully my adaptor will be here soon. The lens , sitting on its own keeps looking at me like a dog that wants to go out and play
02-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
It will be really interesting to see, as with my 25/1.4 when the adaptor arrives. I went for the 25 because I am looking to top out the long end of a travel kit.

The Q has an advantage over my DSLR and legacy lenses in terms of size. That's for sure, and why I am looking at CMounts. But going much longer than 25mm physics takes over. No matter how compact they try, a 50/1.4 MUST be a minimum of 36mm in diameter plus what ever "packaging" is needed, so I do not see lenses of this length being much more compact than their k mount equivalents,

If I want longer, then I have a ton of M42 and K mount lenses for super tele, but that is not normally my need for travel.

Hopefully my adaptor will be here soon. The lens , sitting on its own keeps looking at me like a dog that wants to go out and play
Yeah, I went with the 35mm for now, but I would be interested in seeing if there are any super tele's that are longer than the 06 Telephoto. I don't have any old K-gear or anything so getting a really long-reaching lens, maybe a C mount, would nicely fill out my lens setup for the Q.
02-27-2014, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MykeBatez Quote
Yeah, I went with the 35mm for now, but I would be interested in seeing if there are any super tele's that are longer than the 06 Telephoto. I don't have any old K-gear or anything so getting a really long-reaching lens, maybe a C mount, would nicely fill out my lens setup for the Q.
The Pentax-M 3.5/135mm tele makes for a whopping 756mm equivalent super-tele on the Q. Pick one of those up for $40 or so used and a cheap $20 Fotodiox K to Q adapter, and you're in business. That particular lens is a good performer on the Q, it's very compact, and even has a handy built-in slide-out lens hood. I bought one specifically to use on the Q.

If you go that route, you may also scout around for this Pentax-A f 4/35-70 zoom. It makes a very handy 200-400mm equivalent zoom on the Q, and is also a good performer. They're also typically pretty cheap.

There are some good C-mount lenses, but there are many more good K-mounts, and they might even be cheaper. Plus, you can use them on a Pentax DSLR, should you ever take the plunge.