Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

q tips...

I've decided I need a tripod for the q. I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up an 08 wide lense soon - my main use is for commercial interiors and shopfronts. The tripod needs to be very compact, as I travel allot and usually only carry a satchel.

So my question is: what is the ideal height for a tripod? I don't want to get something too short and for the perspective to look odd.

It will only get occasional use.

02-16-2014, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest a joby...it is small and you can wrap it around anything so height isn't important...they make cheap ones and more expensive depending on what you need

Amazon.com: Joby GP3 GorillaPod SLR-Zoom Flexible Tripod + BH1 Ball Head with Bubble Level: Camera & Photo
02-16-2014, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I thought this would be about cotton swabs
The mini tripod market seems to be booming, though. Years ago there were few choices, these days you have plenty. I suggest you handle the tripod in store, so you can evaluate if it has enough weight and if its build is good enough.
Those GorillaPods certainly are popular, though. Not "super" compact, but very versatile
02-16-2014, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

The Q weighs next to nothing so you can really get a light one, heoght is your own preference. When I bought mine I got the tallest I could afford because I was having problems with my neck out of joint and it hurt to bend down. A chiropractor fixed my neck and I'm glad I got the tall tripod.

02-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks All for the feedback. I'll check a few more out in the shops this evening.
02-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
Another Question:
are wireless remotes universal, or do I need a Pentax specific model. Just looking for something cheap - one button to trigger the camera etc...
02-17-2014, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
Another Question:
are wireless remotes universal, or do I need a Pentax specific model. Just looking for something cheap - one button to trigger the camera etc...
I don't know if they're universal or not, but I bought a cheapo off ebay for my K-01 and it works great. Regarding a tripod..I haven't actually tested this theory, but I would think that the old rule about buying a tripod that extends to the height you want without center column extension may not apply for the Q...and certainly not indoors, if you're going to use a remote release. You might even be able to get away with using a monopod that has some sort of footing that allows it to stand on its own.
02-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I find the Hama Traveller Mini Pro Tripod an excellent travel tripod that fits the Q perfectly. The only catch is that it's not sold on the US market, so you have to order from Amazon UK (no biggie, was under $35 delivered!)
It's nicely made with a ball head that locks securely and even supports DSLR/200mm+2xTC combo for travelling!

Since the Q is so tiny & light another option can be a Nano Clamp with a small ball head (if there is a surface to attach to). Have fun!

02-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #9

Original Poster
I've picked up a Velbon P-Max this evening. Its light enough, compact & was the equivalent of about $35US... Which seems to be allot less than half price. Its a fairly sold peice of kit & has a cool quick release for the legs...

Amazon.com: Velbon tripod Ultra lock P-MAX 5-stage small aluminum 2Way tripod quick shoe with aluminum 404 404: Camera & Photo

ULTRA Series of Velbon Tripod

Last edited by bluefoam; 02-17-2014 at 11:00 AM.
02-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote

Since the Q is so tiny & light another option can be a Nano Clamp with a small ball head (if there is a surface to attach to). Have fun!
Excellent, I have the Manfrotto Super Clamp and a Benro BH-00 Ballhead that also works well with the Q.
02-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a gorillapod knockoff for my Q. Very compact & easy to take along. Very handy & works great.