Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Buying only a Pentax Q Body & no Lens

I recently saw the price of the pentax Q went down to USD110 in Amazon, I was thinking of buying just a body and a nikon lens adaptor.

Am I going to regret this purchase?

02-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thepentaxguy Quote
I recently saw the price of the pentax Q went down to USD110 in Amazon, I was thinking of buying just a body and a nikon lens adaptor.

Am I going to regret this purchase?

I'm assuming you want to use it for adapted lens...if you go to the q section you can see pictures that people have taken with non q lens...it's a lot of fun and you get some awesome shots!!! I don't think you will regret it but I have and love the q
02-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #3

What Nikon lenses do you plan on using?

I use an assortment of Nikon lenses. Mostly intended for 35mm film.

I get great results!
02-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
I was planning to use a Nikon 35mm f2D and 50mm f1.8D . I haven't seen samples of these lens with the Q was concern about the results.

the 50mm samples of the euro coin looks interesting but it would be nice to get some shots of people.

Last edited by thepentaxguy; 02-16-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: more information
02-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

I don't have any portrait photos with those lenses but here is the closest thing I have...

Q + NIKKOR 28mm f/2.8 AIS

It is worth a try to use old Nikon glass. you will get an interesting results. Doesn't work in every situation but you will get used to it.

Edit: People will tell you that you NEED an LCD loupe/hood but honestly they are a hassle and not worth it unless you are shooting something like...birds. Birds fidget a lot and I suppose you don't have time to "make a mistake" with focus.

If you are doing portraits then I think you will be content with your purchase. Post your results/experience on the forum ! I am always interested in seeing Nikon glass on the Q.

Last edited by MarinatedHerring; 05-17-2014 at 04:33 PM.
02-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

For your intended use with adapted lenses, no, I think you will not regret it - and really enjoy it.

I recently got a Q for use with my M42 Takumar collection. Very happy.

But I did buy it with the 02 lens - for $189 at newegg. Glad I did. For $79 you get a reasonably nice 'wide to short telephoto', AF with built-in motor - something wife can use without hassle. (Not quite the same with the Taks...).

I suggest get the package with the 02 lens - and you won't regret it, either.