Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

Can't open .MOV files in windows movie maker

I'm trying to use the movies from my Q in Windows Movie Maker, but it won't support .MOV files...
... I've downloaded 4 different converters but none are working on these files...

Any suggestions for a usable converter or a freeware movie maker?

....aghhhhh

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 09:43 AM ----------

Seems it might be a codec issue. Any idea where to download the right codec?

02-17-2014, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Emperor and Senpai

Download K-Lite Codec Pack Mega

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 11:46 PM ----------

That should cover EVERY codec you need.
02-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's weird. My movie maker works with all Pentax .mov files, just not the older .avis.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Pretty sure .MOV are quicktime files.

I remember quicktime files being extremely difficult to use for anything, and pretty much needing you to download Quicktime, which is the most horrid resource hungry, piece of shit software I've ever used this side of iTunes.

Are there any options on the Q to record in AVI or any normal file format?

02-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
There doesn't appear to be a choice to record in any other format. I have installed the codec pack and have a new software to convert the files (Aimersoft) which now allows me to get the files into Moviemaker, but now it keeps crashing... particularly when I add any in app effects like transitions or titles... over my source clips.
02-18-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The newest version of Windows Movie Maker doesn't work with .MOV for some reason.
I had to step back to an older version after an upgrade didnt let me work with my Q files any longer.
This one is working for me at the moment - I had to uninstall windows essentials then install this version on its own.
Unfortunately I dont recall where I got it, sorry.
Attached Images

02-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The newest version of Windows Movie Maker doesn't work with .MOV for some reason.
I had to step back to an older version after an upgrade didnt let me work with my Q files any longer.
This one is working for me at the moment - I had to uninstall windows essentials then install this version on its own.
Unfortunately I dont recall where I got it, sorry.
Mine says build 15.4 at it works as well. So that must mean that whatever came after version 16 is either buggy or bad.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2014, 04:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You can get an older version here
Download Windows Movie Maker 2.6 from Official Microsoft Download Centre

02-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use VLC player, works with any file and it is free: VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
02-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I use VLC player, works with any file and it is free: VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
VLC is a great player but it won't do edits, will it?

I use movie maker for editing the Q files before I put them on YouTube.
02-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
I discovered that the version of movie maker that I downloaded yesterday is an old version... There is a newer version for Windows 7, which I have now installed. It's working fine, with the converted files, I'll check tomorrow if it'll deal with mov's...

Btw, it's a completely different interface... I must be behind the times.
01-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I reinstalled movie maker and the complete essentials package. No more problems. My .mov movies play in the media center and movie maker.
Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows
Get Movie Maker - Microsoft Windows