Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Q7 Firmware Wishlist - Playback Zoom

Particularly when I'm working at lower shutter speeds, I'll often shoot 2-3 identical images as insurance against camera shake. I then like to zoom in on the LCD, and ensure I got the capture I was after. During playback on my K-5, I can use the rear wheel to zoom in, and the front wheel to advance to the next shot to compare. The zoom level I choose is maintained from shot to shot. And once I have zoomed the image, the D-pad functions to pan the view around.

Not so with the Q7.

Perhaps I'm missing something; but to accomplish the same thing, one apparently must zoom in, examine the shot; reset zoom level with "Menu"; then advance to the next shoot, and zoom again. So, why not have it function as follows:

1. During playback, spin the rear wheel to reach desired zoom level
2. At this point, the D-pad serves to pan the view around on the image
3. Long press "OK" - this changes the D-pad function. Now, the right and left buttons advance and reverse from shot to shot (with zoom level remaining at the chosen level); up and down buttons could function as secondary zoom controls.
4. Long press "OK" again, and the D-pad returns to its panning function.

I know Pentax is comfortable using the long press as a control method, as this is exactly what one does on the K-5 to toggle between moving the autofocus point and normal D-pad function.

I'd reckon this would be *very* easy to implement, and I personally would find it to be extraordinarily useful.

Anyone else?

02-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a good one.
The one I'd like to add is support for the K-3's Flucard. I got one with my K-3 and would love to have that inbuilt control in my Q7 as I reckon I'd use it more there to be honest.
02-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

yes having to go out of zoom and advance to another image before rezoom is like using my K100D all over again
02-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, here's one. How about unlocking non-p-ttl flashes when using a manual lens. Trying to do macro work with an adapted lens + wireless trigger is impossible

02-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Oh, here's one. How about unlocking non-p-ttl flashes when using a manual lens. Trying to do macro work with an adapted lens + wireless trigger is impossible
Turn off the flash and it should work, but if you are not using a Pentax adapter the max shutter speed is 1/13.
With the Pentax adapter I think it is 1/250
02-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nope - that dont work either.
02-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Please describe your setup. I have been able to get wireless triggers to trigger an external flash successfully.
02-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Q7 + Cheap chinese adaptor + Sigma 50mm 2.8 EX Macro + CowboyStudio manual triggers + 1x Yougnuo 568EX + 1x Sigma 530 Super

02-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I stand corrected Lurch. I just tested both my Q7 and Q and the behavior is as you described.
I guess I must have only tested them with the Pentax adapter, in that case I can use the Pt-04 triggers up to 1/250.

If I attach a body cap I can only get a Pentax flash to trigger, the PT-04 will not trigger.
With the Pentax flash attached the camera will not allow a shutter speed past 1/13.

This behavior appears to have been described previously here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/159246-definitive-manual-ext...-guidance.html

Sorry for the misinformation.

One thing I have been able to do is trigger external flashes in slave mode optically by using the built in flash as a trigger.
Perhaps that may be an option for you? You will be limited to 1/13 without the Pentax K-Q adapter though, the leaf shutter is needed to get it to fire at higher speeds.
02-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Think I might just order a genuine adaptor.
So my set up would work with the genuine adaptor?

(Apologies for the hijack)
02-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Think I might just order a genuine adaptor.
So my set up would work with the genuine adaptor?

(Apologies for the hijack)
Yes, lets continue the conversation over here, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/159246-definitive-manual-ext...ml#post2720324