Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- I think to be commercially successful the Q line has to introduce an optional EVF with the next model - if it doesn't it needs one built in. Primarily just to stop the squawks of "but it doesn't have an EVF!" and to help with usability outside in bright sun

- It would also be nice to go back to a metal body

- As someone else mentioned a collapsible zoom would be very nice as well; to make it properly pocket-able

- A 'weather-sealed' Q-Active might be nice as well but not necessary given the fact that Ricoh has kept the rugged compacts going.

05-09-2014, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since this thread is still alive…

I'd like to make the Q my Instagram camera. It would kill the category if…

- built in cell or wifi (to connect with my smartphone)
- Android OS or other
- Built-in, fast editor like Snapseed.
- Touchscreen

Please, Pentax, make this happen and I will win Instagram!
05-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member

^ not sure Android is necessary. It would require specific hardware and smartphone functionality is of limited use if pentax could develop built in wireless or bluetooth for communicating with a phone - which would be easier.
05-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

According to Boris on another thread (I'll link if I can find it) about a Pentax Rep visiting Carson City, NV - Pentax has two new Q bodies in the pipeline. Didn't say what that means, but it is news. Also said Q was designed for the 1:1.7 sensor but at the time Q was introduced that sensor didn't have video capabilities. Said there is no current plan to move to a larger sensor. Also said the intial price of the original Q was a mistake.

05-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
According to Boris on another thread (I'll link if I can find it) about a Pentax Rep visiting Carson City, NV - Pentax has two new Q bodies in the pipeline.
Here's the link:

www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/261356-ricoh-pentax-rep-coming-gordons-photo-service-carson-city-nv-may-10-a.html

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Also said Q was designed for the 1:1.7 sensor but at the time Q was introduced that sensor didn't have video capabilities. Said there is no current plan to move to a larger sensor. Also said the intial price of the original Q was a mistake.
JPT shared that:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/261356-ricoh-pentax...ml#post2810568
05-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
^ not sure Android is necessary. It would require specific hardware and smartphone functionality is of limited use if pentax could develop built in wireless or bluetooth for communicating with a phone - which would be easier.
I've got an EyeFi card and while it's nice, it really adds complexity to a process that should be as simple as possible. Sure, it's only a couple of extra steps (connect, select, download, open in photo editor, edit, share VS select, edit, share), but when you are out in the field and want to post something (or many somethings) ASAP, those extra steps are the difference between doing it and not doing it.
05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #52

i'd def go for a WR Q and at least one WR fast wide angle prime lens

also a tiltable screen would make it even more awesome for street
05-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've got an EyeFi card and while it's nice, it really adds complexity to a process that should be as simple as possible. Sure, it's only a couple of extra steps (connect, select, download, open in photo editor, edit, share VS select, edit, share), but when you are out in the field and want to post something (or many somethings) ASAP, those extra steps are the difference between doing it and not doing it.
I never cared about WiFi until I actually bought an Eye-Fi Pro card and linked my Q7 to my tablet. My extended family has departed Facebook and use Instagram and personal blogs to share photos now. While I continue to PP and blogpost what I consider the best images it is nice to instantly share an in-camera jpeg when the mood strikes.

I agree. If it was easier to do I might do so more often.

05-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I'm not sure that it isn't possible to develop an analogous sharing system to Android but in the camera's basic software OS.
05-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #55
Site Supporter

To be honest, at this point Android hasn't proved stable and reliable enough for me to want it built into my camera. That doesn't mean some kind of built in WiFi wouldn't be somewhat interesting, though I'm sure there are others who would make more use of it than I.

I'd love to have some sort of EVF option, and weather sealing would be nice of course, but that would mean you'd have to introduce weather sealed lenses, which would mean a new lens lineup to at least some extent. I wouldn't want any of these things, though, to make the cameras very much bigger. Otherwise at some point I start considering using the K-5 or K-7 with a pancake lens (or acquiring a K-01).

Edit: It occurs to me that I didn't mention improved battery life, which I expect I would very much like, though I haven't actually received my Q7 yet to see for myself how long the battery lasts for how I will shoot with the camera.

Last edited by CFWhitman; 05-19-2014 at 06:00 AM.
05-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Based on a post today by "mwacht" I would like to see an option for continuous focus or focus subject tracking on a future Q

Edit Oops I see they already have focus tracking

Last edited by hnikesch; 05-28-2014 at 12:23 PM.
06-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Since this thread is still alive…

I'd like to make the Q my Instagram camera. It would kill the category if…

- built in cell or wifi (to connect with my smartphone)
- Android OS or other
- Built-in, fast editor like Snapseed.
- Touchscreen

Please, Pentax, make this happen and I will win Instagram!
This sounds good to me.