Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So where does the Q go from here?

Pentax has already upped the sensor size in the Q7, making it probably the only digital system to use two different formats. Pentax has to be eyeing the super small Panasonic as a mild threat. Where does the Q head next?

Thanks
barondla

02-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DMC-GM1 being m43 is a sensor challenge but Q System has a technology first-mover advantage (internal ND filter, shutter evolution) and is far ahead on lens development. IIRC we were told Pentax sees Q mount as a System mount, not a one-off toy, so I expect development to continue.
  • Will Q stay right where it is, to become a replacement for compact cameras for those who eschew phonecams?
  • Wil Q adopt some of Ricoh's collapsible-lens designs (Maybe!!).
  • Will Pentax use Q to test their first EVF design (Maybe).
  • Will Q be the first Pentax camera to have native Wi-Fi? (IDTS - that'll be a Ricoh camera).
  • Will Pentax develop and extend the GoPro-style brackets? (Yes)

The big question, of course, is whether the 1:1.7 sensor can compete with m43 over time in final IQ if Q buyers care about final IQ.
02-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think the Q system has a very bright future. It's possibly the most forward-looking thing that Pentax has going. (Never mind all the clamor for FF!) Right now it's mostly a fun-factor camera, but it can become more than that.

I'd like to see a Q with an EVF of some sort. Exactly how to best do that, I'm not so sure.

I'd like to see a Q body that's like a sort of mini-DSLR, with the EVF and maybe a tilting screen and a second command dial (or an EV comp dial, like the MX-1). Yes, it would have to be bigger and more expensive than the Q7, but it could still be smaller than an OM-D, especially when factoring in lens size.

---------- Post added 02-23-14 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The big question, of course, is whether the 1:1.7 sensor can compete with m43 over time in final IQ if Q buyers care about final IQ.
If the camera world is ruled by pixel-peepers and bokeh freaks, then M4/3 will always have an advantage over 1:1.7. I do think that there's more sensor technology coming down the pipe that will make 1:1.7 competitive and satisfying for the rest of us (to whatever extent it's not already so).
02-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Were that the big question the Q would never have got off the ground. It's more about overall size of the system, adaptability, and the fun factor. The 08 ultra-wide zoom is a significant step forward, upping the fun while staying small.

02-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Pentax has already upped the sensor size in the Q7, making it probably the only digital system to use two different formats.
The Leica M series has also used different formats,
switching to FF from a 1.3 crop when the M9 appeared.
02-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think the Q has a lot of potential. Pentax can go in any direction, at this point. Just depends on the market success. Only thing that bothers me with the Q evolution so far is that it is slightly confusing - the Q and Q10 have the same sensor, but different body/looks. The Q7 and Q10 have the same body, but different sensor.. I'm sure this kind of evolution is very frugal and cost-effective, but its confusing for many consumers (we get threads about this fairly regularly, even though there are reviews and explanations already out). This confuses the recognition of the product.
But what is great is that the sensor size increased, and new lenses were recently announced. Future seems bright.
02-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The Leica M series has also used different formats,
switching to FF from a 1.3 crop when the M9 appeared.
Good point about the Leica.
thanks
barondla

---------- Post added 02-23-2014 at 10:40 AM ----------

Don't misunderstand, I am not worried about the mini Pana ( basically a mini Nex using tele m4/3 teles). Pentax will likely try to differentiate the next Q even more.

So does Pentax weather proof, add EVf, make a pro version, do a Q7 with metal body or some thing else?

I am no longer worried about the Q surviving. It is thriving. Just curious where we are headed.

The Q system is the smartest thing Pentax has done in years and the only thing in front of the curve. Way in front.

thanks
barondla
02-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

The Q seems to have allot of potential... Its small, but even more relevant is that the lenses are small. I'd like to see it evolve...
Sensor improvements - increasing the sensor size is one thing, but the sensor quality can also be improved over time
A screen that is visible in bright sunlight, or an optical viewfinder - but that would add bulk
WiFi would be great

I like the fact that the Q7 has moved things forward with a bigger sensor and it will autofocus during movie mode.

They could also diversify... Making one a simple consumer level device a'la iPod and one for more professional photographers with a full set of controls like a DSLR.

02-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #9

For me, the first two things that need to be changed on the next update are a higher resolution LCD and built in wi-fi with camera control via a phone/tablet.

Possibly an optional clip-on EVF, but to keep it small I don't think it should be built in, unless they produce two versions.

Next up would be 5 axis image stabilisation like Olympus and some fast telephotos lenses.

I also think the camera has a great future with video too, as it's so small, if they improve the bit rates.
02-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

For me a higher resolution LCD would be nice, I would also like to see a smaller, better eyepiece hood. Something with a wider lens closer focusing lens and overall shorter package than what is available today rather than a EVF. And a low cost optical view finder for the 01 and 06. A super telephoto f2.8 prime would be nice, something in the 1100mm range.
02-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I think the replies have already touched on where the Q can grow: more lenses, EVF, and a better LCD. The sensor could get marginally bigger if they can push it back deeper into the body somehow but that could invalidate some of the lenses. I think Pentax is counting on sensor technology progressing. The 1/1.7" sensor will get better and better up to some point. Maybe we'll see a higher pixel count with the same performance as today like the K-3 and K5 II series?

Sometimes I think a touchscreen LCD could be nice too.
02-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

tilt screen and touch interface for some operations will be nice but I doubt I will need to upgrade my Q7 any time soon.
02-23-2014, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #13

I really hope they never put in a touch screen... there's no need... WiFi control from a phone would be a far better option.
02-24-2014, 02:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wifi (even with just flu-card - which could be implemented in the Q7 with a firmware update) is a must
A removable EVF would be fantastic.
02-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluefoam Quote
I really hope they never put in a touch screen... there's no need...
Agreed. My E-M5 has a touch screen, but I don't use it and find it a nuisance when it unexpectedly reacts. Let's keep things simple!

I also don't think there should be any attempt to increase the sensor size any further. It's been right-sized already in the Q7.