Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 10:00 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bag for Q?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been hunting around for a while for a nice small bag that would take the Q and a couple of lenses.
However being a fairly funky (and in Silver/Black) a fairly retro camera, I really wanted something that would suit the Q. Not just some black, nylon thing....

Last week I spotted this on eBay. And taking a punt on the measurements I ordered it...
THE BOX Brownie Camera BAG Retro Vintage Style Shoulder BAG FOR DSLR | eBay

The one thing I dont like about this and similar hard leather, vintage/retro bags is they tend not to have any dividers in them and I'm not a huge fan of having my gear rattling around in a bag.
Putting in a divider for the camera to have a snug fit was easy. I've got a few random velcro dividers kicking around from past bags. But this then lead to an empty space in theory for the lenses. But again, I dont like them just rattling around.
I then remembered the small loops bags used to have in the lid to keep film rolls. Well, a Q lens isn't that much bigger than a film roll really (compared to a full sized lens at least).

So I set to work.....

The more observant of you may have noticed the three screws in the top?
(Here is a better view)

Essentially I just drilled 3 holes in the lid and put in a series of straps with buckles (velcro straps would also do).

The only thing you cant see here is; behind the silk lining I slipped in a small strip of 2mm mild steel. About 2cm wide and 16.5cm long. Three matching holes are drilled in it to match the three screws. This gives the lid some rigidity when you tighten up the strap, or you end up with weird ugly 'lumps' in the lid.

So now I have a nice small, stylish (I think) bag that securely holds the Q with a lens on it and two more lenses and still some useful room for other things (flash perhaps?)

The only thing left to do it replace those three screws with some nice brass ones to match the rest of the bag.

Last edited by Lurch; 02-24-2014 at 01:36 AM.
02-24-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool bag. It does compliment Q styling. The "film loops" are a splendid way to transport and protect the lenses. Glad your efforts worked out so well. The Q is not easy to bag! Thanks for illustrating the bag mods with pictures. Makes it simple to follow your design.
thanks for sharing
barondla
02-24-2014, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a sharp lookin' bag!
02-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I got the black nylon thing, altered a Targus Netbook case for 2-Q's should fit my Modern Yellow Q7 well. Wanted something for the adapter and 200mm lens

02-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #5

any experiences with any crumpler bags ?!
02-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not personally, but going by their website, the styles are pretty 'meh' to me
02-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They are well made, I have a messenger bag of theirs for cycling (non camera variety). I can carry 2 6packs in it, thats winning in my book!

I can't comment on the camera bags and features though.

Also note they are cheaper outside Australia than in, when they are an Australian product....stupid

02-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

yeah for proper style you have to slaugther a cow first ...
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got the brass nuts for the top

03-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

I find Crumpler to be a great camera bag

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
any experiences with any crumpler bags ?!
I just posted what I use for My Q system...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/254943-another-bag-q-thread.html#post2744778