Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash for Q?

Just spied this:
Nissin Digital Flash: New Products : Compact Flash Nissin i40

QuoteQuote:
The pocket size of Nissin i40 weights only 203g of weight (*1). It is suitable for filling shadows on even the sunniest of days, suitable for family shooting, indoor/ outdoor shooting and especially suitable for traveling. Professional functions are included: Wireless TTL mode; Supports up to 1/8,000 seconds shutter speed; Flash output of GN40 at 105mm; Video light function with 9 steps of output level adjustment; Simple operation panel with two selector dials to operate the flash; Flash head tilts up and rotates horizontally to right and left for making bounced lighting more versatile by utilizing more angles. A Soft box is supplied.
It goes to say it will support e-TTL, i-TTL, and Sony. But dont think the mention of P-TTL means us. Seems Sony has started using our acronym for Pre-Flash TTL.
(Any idea what FT system is? Fuji?)

It'll be interesting to know if it will happily fun in full manual and therefore still be usable to us.

02-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

So cute..!
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If that green A means what I think it means, it is better than just a manual flash, it has the old auto mode with its own sensor. Head doesn't look like it can be zoomed without TTL though, so that wouldn't work well if it shipped at 105mm.

I'd be all over it if Yongnuo made a flash like this with their traditional manual style.
02-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Just spied this:
Nissin Digital Flash: New Products : Compact Flash Nissin i40

It goes to say it will support e-TTL, i-TTL, and Sony. But dont think the mention of P-TTL means us. Seems Sony has started using our acronym for Pre-Flash TTL.
(Any idea what FT system is? Fuji?)

It'll be interesting to know if it will happily fun in full manual and therefore still be usable to us.

Looking at their site the "FT" means the model is for "Four Thirds"

Looks likes there is no Pentax version with P-TTL.

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If that green A means what I think it means, it is better than just a manual flash, it has the old auto mode with its own sensor. Head doesn't look like it can be zoomed without TTL though, so that wouldn't work well if it shipped at 105mm.

I'd be all over it if Yongnuo made a flash like this with their traditional manual style.

Looking at the manuals on the Nissin site for other flashes in their range

The Green "A" means fully automatic noob mode so it's not the like the A-mode of a Pentax AF540 or 360 and others.

so no..... it looks like there is not a mode like this on the little i40 .

In some of the higher models in their range like MG8000 and Di866mkII these have built in light meter.
In these the "Av" mode means you can set the Aperture on the flash to match you camera aperture setting and it uses the flash units own light meter to get the exposure correct.
The ISO information is read from the camera (as I read it) and is not set separately on the flash. This means the flash has to communicate with the camera. There is no P-TTL (pentax) version so it wont work anyway.

I guess it could work in manual only mode if it's only using the centre contact to fire, the same as any old flash...... but it's going to be $250.

or ...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233827-small-flashes-q-q10-q7.html

Last edited by steve1307; 02-27-2014 at 04:46 AM. Reason: PF thread link added
02-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
too bad it doesn't work for the Q, nissin makes good little flashes