Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Macro on Q

Hi, I got my Q recently and got the 02 and 06 lenses. I am wondering how you shoot macro shots as I have a hard time getting in close to small objects. I also have a Pentax MX-1 and with that camera its easy, but on the Q I am finding it difficult.

I did find that if i used manual focus and used a higher f stop, then it would work a little better but I don't know any other way of getting a good close up on a very small object. I am having a hard time focusing. Any suggestions? Or is the Q just not suited for closeups like that?

03-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I experimented with the Q and a 100mm macro lens with a reversed 50mm on the front. Here's a couple:

45 rpm record grooves:

Tip of sewing needle:

Root of hair from my head:

It is tough focusing because it's so close. But it would be difficult at that magnification on any camera.
03-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd love to see Pentax come out with a little extension tube...or maybe a double-element close-up filter for the Q series. Something compact that expands the versatility.
03-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
what is it in the MX-1 that makes it focus at 1cm that the Q doesn't have? Is it a software thing?

03-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulcote Quote
what is it in the MX-1 that makes it focus at 1cm that the Q doesn't have? Is it a software thing?
That's a very good question. I was talking to someone recently who uses a Nikon P&S to shoot pics for her Facebook page. She takes a lot of wide-angle, close-up pics with her P&S. She's thinking of upgrading to a DSLR and I had to tell her that a DSLR is not going to do those kinds of pics, but I had no good answer as to why it wouldn't. Why CAN'T a K3 with a kit lens focus as close as an inexpensive P&S?
03-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

While I haven't seen an MX-1 in action, I assume its macro feature is the same as other fixed-lens cameras -- the macro mode is simply built-in extension. The lens moves farther away from the sensor, magnifying the image. There's no reason this couldn't be built into interchangeable-lens cameras, other than cost and size, but it never (?) is.

So for maQro we're left with adapted lenses. A Q-mount macro lens is on the roadmap, but we don't know when it will appear.