Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Collapsible Tabletop Tripod -- Q / Q7

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently acquired this clever plastic collapsible NOS Pentax tabletop tripod to use with my Q and Q7. Came packaged in Pentax OEM box printed Asahi Optical Co., Ltd. JAPAN Part # 50020 eBay Post - 6 left @ $15 BIN / Make Offer

The base is adjustable to level your camera (or to raise 90 degrees for portrait orientation). For storage the two outer legs fold inward to the third leg then the legs fold flat against the base. It probably isn't sturdy enough for a K3 but an M-series film body might be OK.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2014 at 04:21 PM.
03-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Neat! Literally and figuratively! Much better than the elegant but flimsy miniature tripods of the 1950s and 60s. You may have started a trend, but one that won't be satisfied soon: I imagine they're quite rare.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 03-08-2014 at 11:14 PM.
03-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Neat! Literally and figuratively! Much better than the elegant but flimsy miniature tripods of the 1950s and 60s.
Every so often a Leica silver one goes by that looks sturdy. But they're all missing one rubber foot - or $235! There's a folding back metal Pentax mini ballhead tripod from the 70's out there every so often, too.
You may have started a trend, but one that won't be satisfies soon: I imagine they're quite rare.
Yeah, it's really fun. Not a Wimberley by ANY means but tiny in my Q7 bag and great for the family snapshot part of the Q ethic. I haven't been outside for a real trial yet but I think it will be stable enough for real timer work.

The packaging has to be older than 2002 so I'd guess these were for PnS film cameras from the late 90's. I'd bet there are hundreds of them in groups of ten or twenty spread around the camera shop storerooms of the world.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-08-2014 at 04:40 PM.
03-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clever design. I like that it folds completely flat.

Chris

03-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
The flippy design is good, the mini-tripod can be mounted below the camera permanently.
03-08-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I like it's compactness, but there's just one problem with this design, there's no way to angle or tilt the camera. Probably a better idea to purchase a gorilla pod.
03-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinn Quote
I like it's compactness, but there's just one problem with this design, there's no way to angle or tilt the camera. Probably a better idea to purchase a gorilla pod.
The plate can be angled in small increments from vertical (portrait) horizontal (landscape) to below horizontal. For an angle on the line of sight one would mount the canera across rather than along the plate.

Granted, it isn't a Gorillapod- but it's only $15, not $70 with a ballhead or $35 without.

03-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

…and now I've won one, too! Double thanks for the information.
03-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
…and now I've won one, too! Double thanks for the information.
Excellent - good for you!!

My Good Turn for the day.
03-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very clever design. I'm afraid I would squish one of these with a heavy camera. Maybe as a flash-stand. Somebody send one off to China and tell them I'd like it in black-annodized aluminum, please.
I'm still looking for that elusive small tripod. I like the Leicas, but for the price, I will keep holding my breath.
03-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use something smaller still.

It's a Manfrotto MP1-C01, made for P&S cameras. Perfect for the Q, although to be honest, I've had it on the camera for a year and I can't recall using it once LOL!

Oh wait, there was that one mult-exposure photoshop that I think I used it for...

Or judging by the Dutch angle, maybe not...
03-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hah hah! Cool!
03-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #13

That is a nice mini tripod - I wonder if it was introduced with the Auto 110 since the name Asahi Pentax appeared on your package that it came in.

I came across a mini tripod at a flea market - I don't think I paid more than a buck - it's very small and folds so I could tuck it in my pocket. I believe it is made by Ultrapod and has a ball head and a velcro for attaching it to a fence or a tree. Maybe this one was a promo for Eddie Bauer but I see ones w/ no company advert written on ebay for cheap.

Velcro to my bicycle handle bar for video - or a tree post.

Rick
03-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's a neat one too!! I do recall those from maybe 8 or 9 years ago? and I think youa re correct about Ultrapod. I'd love to have my company name printed on a supply as an advertising specialty.

The Auto 110 and Auto 110 Super were 1978 - 1985. Maybe these were done then, but they're engineering plastic. It looks more like a 90's product than a 70's, but who knows?

I have a Product Manual from 1980. I'll look in Accessories and/or Auto 110 tonight.
03-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I use something smaller still.

It's a Manfrotto MP1-C01, made for P&S cameras. Perfect for the Q
Yeah I use that Manfrotto unit. Perfect for the Q as you say.

Monochrome : what is the bag you have your Q in that last pic? Been looking for a bag for mine for awhile and that looks like a great fit.