Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NoRules Quote
It's so subjective. Not sciensy at all.
Oh I'm not into being anal about technicalities, I like to see the results so your comparison shots are fine for me, thanks - I can appreciate the difference now, you'll get no argument from me

03-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

If you make the baffles too narrow, you'd essentially just be adding an external aperture which would make the lens a bit sharper and give you a bit more DOF simply because it is equivalent to stopping the lens down a stop or two. (You can do the same thing with a very fast lens by masking the edges of the front element.) This is exactly how those of use who have adapted 110 lenses (which do not have apertures) for the Q have done it -- stick a black washer in the adapter up against the rear element to stop down the lens manually. Seems like you're getting at least some of that if you are losing that much EV. IF that's true, then if you start from wide-open and stop down, the light meter shouldn't react immediately, but I think you are saying it does?

In any case, looks like an easier solution for the cheapo adapters -- I tried the matte surface approach at first which was a messy disaster. And then to cover that up I ordered some black felt material, which turned out to be quite reflective! So I ended up using a black sharpie on the felt to blacken it up some more. I was glad to get the OEM adapter finally, which of course takes care of the other big problem with the other adapters -- they have no shutter so you are limited in your shutter speeds and you get those jello shots sometimes with a split in the image. I do like using the adapted 110 lenses though (much smaller adapter), the 50 and the 70 make very compact telephotos...
03-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I remember a mirror lens that had a telescoping internal baffle that could be adjusted to stop the lens down. Don't see that often on a mirror.

My Q-Pentax 110 adapter has a Lensbaby aperture disc inside, to close the 110 lens down. This greatly improves the IQ. This also is a baffle. NoRules, your post explains a lot about the IQ gain.
Thanks
barondla