Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 04:46 AM   #1

First post - some questions regarding the Q

Hello everyone.

So, I have been thinking about getting a Pentax Q for some time now.
The reason is that I would like to have a solution for some extreme long range shooting on a budget.
I am talking about both Astro-photography (been interested in Astronomy for all my life basically) as well as shooting wildlife (There is a lot of Deer, Moose and other shy creatures that likes to feed on a meadow not far from my countryside house).

So I was thinking about getting a good APO telescope (like Skywatcher's 900mm Apo ED) and a Q10 (maximum pixels on target) and thus I would like to ask around here if anyone have any experiences with a similar setup, and can advice me on if it is a good idea or not. As far as I understand, the Q7 has slightly better iq, but lacks the range(pixel density) of the Q10.

I would be grateful for any informed comments on this matter.

/Expeditioneer

03-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check out the 2 threads below they have all the info you are looking for, the Q is a ball, lots of fun to play with and get images you couldn't on a budget with a DSLR. But adapting lenses has issues and is all manual focus. Check out the threads

Adapted lenses what lenses work well and not so well on a Q and how
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

Astro
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/212387-astro-q-club.html

Lots of info for LCD eye hood, tripods, etc...
03-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your main issue with anything adapted to the Q is that without the official Pentax K mount adapter, you are limited to using the electronic shutter, which means max exposure of 2 secs, and anything faster than 1/13 sec will be shot not quite as you expect (reads each line of the sensor separately)

So long as you go with the official adapter (which is quite expensive) you are good to go
03-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #4

AP

well i'm trying with my nexstar 4se and the q10 the problem is that my telescope have a focal lenght of 1325 with the 5.5x crop factor from the small sensor, the effective focal lenght would be like 7300mm :S and the telescope is F 13 :S so the images are very very zoomed,an example is M42 if i try to take a picture the picture would be like seeing with a 9mm ocular so 1325/9=147.2x ...... i think you can do better astrophotography with other camera or other lens kinda 300 or 500 mm

03-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Check out the 2 threads below they have all the info you are looking for, the Q is a ball, lots of fun to play with and get images you couldn't on a budget with a DSLR. But adapting lenses has issues and is all manual focus. Check out the threads

Adapted lenses what lenses work well and not so well on a Q and how
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

Astro
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/212387-astro-q-club.html

Lots of info for LCD eye hood, tripods, etc...
Thank you for the links, I will check them out.
03-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Your main issue with anything adapted to the Q is that without the official Pentax K mount adapter, you are limited to using the electronic shutter, which means max exposure of 2 secs, and anything faster than 1/13 sec will be shot not quite as you expect (reads each line of the sensor separately)

So long as you go with the official adapter (which is quite expensive) you are good to go
Thank you for replying.
Hmmm... It seems the K mount adapter is quite necessary as 2 secs to 1/13 is quite limiting indeed, especially if you want to use it with a 900mm telescope like me. Things tend to move in nature.
03-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

you can still get reasonable shots at faster than 1/13, but you can get the jello effect in shots. This is totally eliminated with the Pentax adapter as the shutter is built into the adapter
03-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
you can still get reasonable shots at faster than 1/13, but you can get the jello effect in shots. This is totally eliminated with the Pentax adapter as the shutter is built into the adapter
You mean one risk getting a rolling shutter effect faster than 1/13. Alright. Yeah, I will need the Pentax adapter.

03-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

yeah thats the one