Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #1

Traditional Street Shooting Setup?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey Guys,
I just ordered an old Yashica OVF (similar to the one in this bundle) and it got me wondering what a good setup for traditional rangefinder-style shooting would be with the Q.

I already know you can turn off the LCD by double-pressing the info button and I'd like to do that along with using the OVF. From there I'm left wondering what lens I should be using in order to manually zone-focus in the traditional rangefinder style. I looked around on Ebay and found an old Pentax 28mm 2.8 wide angle m42 lens that might be good but with the Q's crop factor it wouldn't be so wide-angle anymore...

Just was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of a lens that I could use to experiment with this rangefinder style of shooting. I'd also love to hear what you guys' street setups look like.

Thanks guys
~M

03-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For me, the 01 prime is the best street lens for the Q/Q7.

Fast 1.9, fast AF, good FL, good sharpness

Incidentally, someone on my local forum said he went to this same place with a whiz bang Sony A7 with f1.2 lens and complained about not being able to stop motion or focus.
I had to chuckle.

03-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That viewfinder matches well to the 01 prime and the 02 zoomed in.
My favorite lens for street with the Q is the 02 zoomed out.
Haven't taken the Q7 out for street work yet but I figure I will try the 01 since it will be a bit wider.
I prefer wide angles for street to get the surroundings.