Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapted Lenses & Shake Reduction Settings

I'm wondering if anyone has done any experimenting with shake reduction settings and lenses originally intended for other mounts? Also is the focal length for all lenses multiplied by the 5.5X factor or is it less for lenses that started small to begin with like a 110 lens?

03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You simply need to enter the focal length that's indicated on the lens. No need for multiplying or anything like that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While Adam is correct, and focal length is focal length, irrespective of format, while not documented, I personally have noted and reported that at least for the Q, that the SR seems over active and performance and IQ are improved if you enter about 70% of the true focal length. I think this is because you hold the lens differently than you would hold a Q with a small Q lens
03-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 to the 70% - 80% of focal length for adapted lenses I did some trial and error testing and some of the info is in the adapted lens thread

03-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
+1 to the 70% - 80% of focal length for adapted lenses I did some trial and error testing and some of the info is in the adapted lens thread
+2
I believe it was after Hans posted his test that I tried it, and my images improved.
03-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies folks! I'll try this out and see what I get.
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Thank you for the replies folks! I'll try this out and see what I get.
Have fun. It is a great little camera. I am still playing, but have not tried beyond 200mm seriously yet. When the snow finally melts (yes in toronto hell has frozen over) I plan to put this on my tamron 200-500/5.6 and see what I can do

03-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have found the FL settings for SR in the Q just about right up to and including 300mm. I probably just accidentally fit the default shake profile for Pentax SR. . . I found early on that Pentax SR works best for me when I hold my cameras more casually than I would think appropriate for a given FL. For me, relaxation is the key.

Scott
03-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I have found the FL settings for SR in the Q just about right up to and including 300mm.
I have found this also -- after reading about Lowell's experiences I did some experimenting with different settings and found that the actual focal length worked best.
03-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a curious point, how are people using the camera with K mount lenses.

I use he Q with an eye level adaptor / screen shield, holding the camera like an SLR. If you hold it using only the LCD at arms length the experience might be different
03-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As a curious point, how are people using the camera with K mount lenses.
Both methods -- with a sensor loupe and without. You might be onto something -- holding the camera at arms length might result in more rotational movement and perhaps the SR is better at some types of motion than others.
03-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Both methods -- with a sensor loupe and without. You might be onto something -- holding the camera at arms length might result in more rotational movement and perhaps the SR is better at some types of motion than others.
This is what I thought about with respect to the use of the k adaptor. I support the body and lens about this point, which is different than supporting everything from the body. This causes rotation around the adaptor, as opposed to perhaps rotation about the body, as it would be on an SLR, or with small light weight lenses
03-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Lowell,

I always use a loupe and hold the camera like a DSLR when using anything over about 50mm.

With the shorter lenses, without a loupe, I usually hold a lot closer than arm's length -- as close as I can while still being able to reasonably see the LCD image and the focus peaking artifacts. My eyes don't focus that close, even with my trifocals, so the LCD image is blurry, but I can see it well enough to frame the shot and i trust the peaking will give me a reasonably focused shot. I usually can brace my elbows against my body when shooting like this, so the hold is pretty stable. It's a very strange way to shoot, not really seeing a focused image, but it works reasonably well for me.

Scott
03-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a very strange way to shoot, not really seeing a focused image, but it works reasonably well for me.
Dang, much respect because your shots are dead on, didn't know you were having trouble seeing the screen !
03-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Lowell,

I always use a loupe and hold the camera like a DSLR when using anything over about 50mm.

With the shorter lenses, without a loupe, I usually hold a lot closer than arm's length -- as close as I can while still being able to reasonably see the LCD image and the focus peaking artifacts. My eyes don't focus that close, even with my trifocals, so the LCD image is blurry, but I can see it well enough to frame the shot and i trust the peaking will give me a reasonably focused shot. I usually can brace my elbows against my body when shooting like this, so the hold is pretty stable. It's a very strange way to shoot, not really seeing a focused image, but it works reasonably well for me.

Scott
You mean I should be shooting with a blurry display to get sharp images

Maybe when you see clearly you concentrate too much on the wrong place in the image? I'll have to try this