Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian
littledrawe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Rock
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,454
Adapted Lenses & Shake Reduction Settings

I'm wondering if anyone has done any experimenting with shake reduction settings and lenses originally intended for other mounts? Also is the focal length for all lenses multiplied by the 5.5X factor or is it less for lenses that started small to begin with like a 110 lens?

03-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,132
You simply need to enter the focal length that's indicated on the lens. No need for multiplying or anything like that

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
While Adam is correct, and focal length is focal length, irrespective of format, while not documented, I personally have noted and reported that at least for the Q, that the SR seems over active and performance and IQ are improved if you enter about 70% of the true focal length. I think this is because you hold the lens differently than you would hold a Q with a small Q lens
03-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian
hnikesch's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,254
+1 to the 70% - 80% of focal length for adapted lenses I did some trial and error testing and some of the info is in the adapted lens thread

03-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,676
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
+1 to the 70% - 80% of focal length for adapted lenses I did some trial and error testing and some of the info is in the adapted lens thread
+2
I believe it was after Hans posted his test that I tried it, and my images improved.
03-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian
littledrawe's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Red Rock
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,454
Original Poster
Thank you for the replies folks! I'll try this out and see what I get.
03-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Thank you for the replies folks! I'll try this out and see what I get.
Have fun. It is a great little camera. I am still playing, but have not tried beyond 200mm seriously yet. When the snow finally melts (yes in toronto hell has frozen over) I plan to put this on my tamron 200-500/5.6 and see what I can do
03-20-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
I have found the FL settings for SR in the Q just about right up to and including 300mm. I probably just accidentally fit the default shake profile for Pentax SR. . . I found early on that Pentax SR works best for me when I hold my cameras more casually than I would think appropriate for a given FL. For me, relaxation is the key.

Scott

03-21-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,364
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I have found the FL settings for SR in the Q just about right up to and including 300mm.
I have found this also -- after reading about Lowell's experiences I did some experimenting with different settings and found that the actual focal length worked best.
03-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
As a curious point, how are people using the camera with K mount lenses.

I use he Q with an eye level adaptor / screen shield, holding the camera like an SLR. If you hold it using only the LCD at arms length the experience might be different
03-21-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,364
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As a curious point, how are people using the camera with K mount lenses.
Both methods -- with a sensor loupe and without. You might be onto something -- holding the camera at arms length might result in more rotational movement and perhaps the SR is better at some types of motion than others.
03-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Both methods -- with a sensor loupe and without. You might be onto something -- holding the camera at arms length might result in more rotational movement and perhaps the SR is better at some types of motion than others.
This is what I thought about with respect to the use of the k adaptor. I support the body and lens about this point, which is different than supporting everything from the body. This causes rotation around the adaptor, as opposed to perhaps rotation about the body, as it would be on an SLR, or with small light weight lenses
03-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
Hi Lowell,

I always use a loupe and hold the camera like a DSLR when using anything over about 50mm.

With the shorter lenses, without a loupe, I usually hold a lot closer than arm's length -- as close as I can while still being able to reasonably see the LCD image and the focus peaking artifacts. My eyes don't focus that close, even with my trifocals, so the LCD image is blurry, but I can see it well enough to frame the shot and i trust the peaking will give me a reasonably focused shot. I usually can brace my elbows against my body when shooting like this, so the hold is pretty stable. It's a very strange way to shoot, not really seeing a focused image, but it works reasonably well for me.

Scott
03-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
It's a very strange way to shoot, not really seeing a focused image, but it works reasonably well for me.
Dang, much respect because your shots are dead on, didn't know you were having trouble seeing the screen !
03-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Lowell,

I always use a loupe and hold the camera like a DSLR when using anything over about 50mm.

With the shorter lenses, without a loupe, I usually hold a lot closer than arm's length -- as close as I can while still being able to reasonably see the LCD image and the focus peaking artifacts. My eyes don't focus that close, even with my trifocals, so the LCD image is blurry, but I can see it well enough to frame the shot and i trust the peaking will give me a reasonably focused shot. I usually can brace my elbows against my body when shooting like this, so the hold is pretty stable. It's a very strange way to shoot, not really seeing a focused image, but it works reasonably well for me.

Scott
You mean I should be shooting with a blurry display to get sharp images

Maybe when you see clearly you concentrate too much on the wrong place in the image? I'll have to try this
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, folks, lenses, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, reduction, settings
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensor & Shake Reduction Wingincamera Pentax K-5 10 05-14-2013 12:11 AM
M42 lens' & shake reduction Big Bob Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 06-14-2009 06:49 AM
Using long telephotos & Shake reduction mr.voigtlander Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 06-04-2009 11:56 PM
K10D, Shake Reduction & Tripod switch79 Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 04-19-2007 06:18 PM
Shake reduction & camera life Brew1brew Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 09-27-2006 05:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top