Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
getting the best from a third party lens adapter

hello .. am looking for a basic janet and john type introduction/insight into using a third party adapter with the q.
an adapter that gives me the ability to use a k mount lens .. specifically a 28-90mm zoom.
when invited what should I set the focal length to?
should I take the 5.5 x crop factor into consideration?
would I set the fl to 450mm .. the extreme end of the zoom OR 154mm .. the wider end?
alternatively should I set the fl to either 28 or 90mm?
the adapter I have does have a very crude aperture control.
should I leave it wide open and use the aperture control on the lens itself?
do I have auto aperture control available to me? if not .. what should my starting point be? aperture control? shutter speed control? manual?
can I or do I use the leaf shutter? is it electronic shutter control only with a non pentax adapter? do I have any sr abilities? are there no sr abilities?
does the use of a third party adapter limit me to manual usage only?
what are the best settings to use?
anticipated thanks

03-20-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't need to post the same thing in two different places. Look at my reply in the other thread.
03-20-2014, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the focal length, set it to whatever it says in the lens. There's no need to multiply it by anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You don't need to post the same thing in two different places. Look at my reply in the other thread.
am looking to get this answered so am not sure where the best place is. have (hence) submitted two threads. as it happens even with the two threads I cannot get the questions answered. I did not realise that there was a law (unwritten or otherwise) against it. with regard the question(s)..why have you invited the inputting of 28-90mm when invited to (for the fixed fl) on the camera? from what I can see/tell there is ABSOLUTELY no way that this is possible and you are (I believe) misleading me (and/or yourself) into thinking and suggesting that there is!?

---------- Post added 03-20-14 at 05:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For the focal length, set it to whatever it says in the lens. There's no need to multiply it by anything.
it says 28-90mm on the lens. set it to whatever it says IN the lens. sorry .. what does that mean? IN the lens. I'm invited (like all others) by the camera to INPUT the focal length. am looking to use a 28-90mm lens. WHAT focal length do I input (on the screen) when asked/invited?

03-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I input the length I plan on using when shooting a zoom, I sometimes need to change the SR setting when changing zoom settings. Close is ok I set my 80-200 zoom SR input to 135 when shooting between 100 to 200 seems ok