Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sooooo, I bought a Q

A nice deal on the bay of E. It's an original Q and it comes with the 02 lens but no 01 sadly.

I'm just wondering where should I go from here now? I've got a crap ton of K lenses but very few with Aperture ring. I also have a few Minolta / Sony ones (no ring either). Should I get a legit Pentax K to Q adapter first or invest in a 01 lens? I like the idea of super duper telephoto that the adapter will provide but I normally live quite happily with shorter focal range (less than 200mm).

The Q is the 4th (and soon the 5th) camera in my kit and I am investing heavily in premium K mount lenses, so the K - Q adapter seems to make more sense but I've got nothing wider than 17 at the moment (~100mm on Q) and I know I will want something wider.

What should I do?

03-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
A nice deal on the bay of E. It's an original Q and it comes with the 02 lens but no 01 sadly.

I'm just wondering where should I go from here now? I've got a crap ton of K lenses but very few with Aperture ring. I also have a few Minolta / Sony ones (no ring either). Should I get a legit Pentax K to Q adapter first or invest in a 01 lens? I like the idea of super duper telephoto that the adapter will provide but I normally live quite happily with shorter focal range (less than 200mm).

The Q is the 4th (and soon the 5th) camera in my kit and I am investing heavily in premium K mount lenses, so the K - Q adapter seems to make more sense but I've got nothing wider than 17 at the moment (~100mm on Q) and I know I will want something wider.

What should I do?
The K mount adapter isn't really designed for wide-angle shooting. Even with an ultra-wide DSLR lens you'll end up being at least in the short tele range after the crop factor. Frankly, the Q doesn't lend itself well to wide-angle shooting due to the small sensor. The 02 lens is almost as wide as the widest offering for the Q (the 08 lens), so it should get the job done in most scenarios. If you need to go wider, I'd recommend using a DSLR.

If you pick up the genuine Pentax adapter, which I recommend, your lenses don't need an aperture ring. See details here:
Pentax K to Q-mount Adapter - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

The Q works especially well with the DA* 300mm for ultra-tele shots, by the way. There's a nice sample in the "reach" section of the review

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I started with a K2Q fotodiox adapter and it worked well as long as the subject or camera didn't move, I soon upgraded to the OEM Pentax adapter because I like to walk and hand hold shots. I shot a Polo match and the panning motion caused the background to destort "tilt" buildings. I use mostly a SMC M 135 f3.5, a SMC F 80 -200 and a DAL 55-300 with I believe good results
03-20-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

My opinion, based upon what I've done, is to suggest you read the Reference threads and the long photo posting threads on the Q Forum. The system is actually very flexible if your objective is to attempt to do things with a small camera that normally require a standard sensor - so the fun is in the experimenting. By reading you'll see the path others have taken and you can choose whether to try that yourself. If there's more than one thing interesting to you then I'd suggest you do one at a time and pick your order.

I started with an 02 kit. I added the 01 first (bought a kit and sold the camera), then the 06, so I had a small bag with a approx 50 equivalent, a 28~80 and an 80~250. For several months that was all I used and had a blast. For a Boca Grande, FL vacation that's all the camera I had and I don't feel like I missed anything. I carry that small kit (with Q7) pretty much everywhere now and use it the way I would have used a small film camera - when I see something I stiop and shoot it.

Then I bought the OEM K>Q adapter and tripod foot for my legacy SMC K-series lenses to use for reach, but I've never warmed to that, so unless spring changfes things I'll sell them. Alternatively I'll add the Red Dot finder and use my K200/2.5 and 55~300 and use a loupe.

I got the 03 Toy FishEye because it is fun, and upgraded to Q7. I prefer the Q for the construction but the Q7 is just fine.

IOW, I don't think one can tell you what you should do first. It depends what you want to acciomplish. But it is also hard to go wrong for the money.

03-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

For a long time, I found the 02 lens to be wide enough, but not nearly as wide as my 12-24 on my k5. I think the 02 lens was pretty close to the 18mm on the k5 (or 27mm in 35 fov). I've recently purchased the 08 lens and it has been much better for architectural shots, but I did fine with the 02 when it was my only option. Or you could get the 03 and defish it...

woops missed the jist of your question....

I've used the 35 macro on the Q and it did very well - that puts you right at 192 mm, or about 135 on your apsc cam. if you want to control aperture on a lens w/out an aperture ring, make sure you get an adapter w/ the aperture dial.
03-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My main concern about the Q is not that it is not wide enough, I agree that the 02 is decent enough for wide shots. I am hesitating because, with the adapter, even my "future" widest lens (Sigma 10-20) the Q will still be in the 50-60mm range. Also, I kinda bought the Q because, well it is as small as they make them. Monster lenses will stay on the K5, I want the Q to be with me at ALL time, with the 01 prime it would actually fit in a coat pocket without being annoying, which is the complete opposite of where I am heading with my DSLRs. But at the same time, I'd want to be able to use the K lenses either for creative use or ultra-telephoto for shooting critters this spring.

I know the decision will be mine to make, the Q will never be a DSLR and it serves a different purpose. To me it'll always be a bit of a gadget, or a novelty (albeit a handy one) so I don't want to go full LBA on yet another mount.

I shouldn't have posted this as a question but more as an invite for people to share their experience. Because there is always "that guy" who does something very funky with his setup, and him sharing his experience might be what will make me set my mind on either option.
03-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Q isn't "either or" with small and always with you, vs adapted lens tele monster. My Q does both- all the time.

I carry the Q and 01 every where. It is always ready. I love the controls that work just like big Pentax cameras.

I leave the Pentax Q<PK adapter, Pentax red dot sight, and wireless remote in the big K system bag. Drop the Q in a pocket and away you go. When the K cam/300 isn't enough, the Q takes up the slack. The Q will be used more with long lenses than you suspect. There is no camera like the Q!

No matter which way you go 1st, you will eventually take the other path as well. Enjoy the journey. The Q is far more than a gadget. It is one of the greatest Pentax inventions of all time.
thanks
barondla
03-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
If you only have one lens with the Q it needs to be the 01. The Q + 01 is small. Just what the Q is all about. I try other lenses. Picked up a cheap 06 but the 01 is the essential lens. cheers
bb2

03-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Frankly, the Q doesn't lend itself well to wide-angle shooting due to the small sensor.
I just picked up an 03 Fisheye lens.

It is very variable in its performance,
or maybe I haven't had time to learn it yet,
but one jpeg image on the original Q
came out at more than 5 MB,
with an amazing amount of detail in it.

The 03's big advantage over the other lenses in the Q series
is its ability to focus down to less than 10cm.
03-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats & welcome to the Qlub! If I were you, I'd use your 02 for wide, (it's actually quite good) buy an 03 fisheye (one of my favorite lenses) for ultra wide shooting, and K to Q adapter for tele. The 03 is awesome. I've never gotten a bad result with it.

For what it's worth, I don't have the 01 (yet), but I've tried a lot of lenses on mine & here's what I have distilled my setup down to:

02 - my general walkarounder: A perfectly competent lens, and better than some would have you believe.
03 - fisheye: Awesome, fun lens. The Q would be worth owning just to use with the 03. It's that good.
Computar 8.5/1.3 C-mount for occasional low light use: Lots of halo wide open, pretty decent stopped down a bit. It's my 01 stand-in for now
Fujian 35/1.7 C-mount: (200mm tele on the Q) Don't use this length much, but it's pretty good. Has some "character".
Industar 61/D 55/2.8 M39 (308mm tele on the Q.) A great and tiny long tele on the Q. Zero fringing even wide open. And it looks like it belongs on the Q.

And a couple of adapted lenses with the cheap fotodiox adapter:

SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm F4 (200-400mm equivalent on the Q) Pretty darn good long tele zoom on the Q. Also, compact.
SMC Pentax-M 135mm F3.5 (756mm monster tele on the Q) As long as I'd wanna go handheld on the Q, this one's very compact for the focal length, and a good performer stopped down to f4 to 5.6.

Because the Q is my "fun" camera, I have a preference for good, cheap, and small lenses for it. I prefer C-mounts or M39s for all but super long tele shooting, just because they fit the diminutive size of the Q better.

Me thinks you're in for some fun, though!
03-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I just picked up an 03 Fisheye lens.

It is very variable in its performance,
or maybe I haven't had time to learn it yet,
but one jpeg image on the original Q
came out at more than 5 MB,
with an amazing amount of detail in it.

The 03's big advantage over the other lenses in the Q series
is its ability to focus down to less than 10cm.
The 04 lens will get even closer. It can focus down to just a hair over 7 cm! In fact its really acts like a poor mans macro from indications here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/254409-spring-blossoms-who-n...-got-04-a.html

I have the original Q, 02 kit lens, and fotodiox K->Q adapter. I just bought the 03 fisheye lens, and while there are a few limitations, I can already tell this is going to be a FUN lens. It is plenty wide, and as long as you utilize the focus peaking while using this lens, Ive found it to be sharp enough. Additionally, you should be able to de-fish most of the distortion with proper post developing techniques. I have my eyes set on the 01 prime and the 06 telezoom as additional lenses for the Q. Also, when Ricoh releases a true macro lens for the Q, Ill be highly interested in that.

The Q has quickly become my go-to camera to use in situations where taking my K-5 is either unfeasible or unreasonable (such as going to an NCAA or professional sports event - they tend to frown on "professional" cameras unless you have credentials or authorization to have it. Another prime example is this past summer, my partner played in a sand volleyball league at a local bar/pub. Taking a $2k+ kit in there may get me the best pics, but week after week, I dont want to subject my camera to the possibility of death from beer or other drunken idiots. The Q was perfect for that!).