Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pickone Quote
If it wasn't for all the sensor snobs, I wouldn't be able to afford a couple of them at $850 a piece. Bring on the bad reviews, maybe I get a few more Qs.
I'm certainly a beneficiary of Pentax's previous "flops" (just look at my sig), but as much as I like cheap gear, I'd like the company that makes and promotes these wonderful systems to survive if not thrive.

03-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's always going to be trade off between size and durability. Personally, I'm ok with the Q's external size. Some heft is good since it gives you something to hold on to.

I'd rather Pentax figure out how to make the internals thinner and push the sensor back further. That would enable a larger sensor in the future.
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Not so! The lens has to be at the distance from the sensor it was designed for.
03-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Well, we would finally get alot of macro lenses to choose from.

03-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

he he!
03-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The current lenses may not be able to accommodate the bigger spot size necessary for a larger sensor that is pushed back deeper... But a whole new line could!
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Oh - I follow. Buy wouldn't that be a completely different camera then? Not another mount!
03-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Oh - I follow. Buy wouldn't that be a completely different camera then? Not another mount!

Maybe, maybe not. I would hope that the optical engineers at Pentax can figure it out. Didn't Nikon do something similar with one of their lens mounts? It's the same physical mount but the spot size can be either APS or FF sized. The camera does an automatic cropping based on the lens information.

03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Maybe, maybe not. I would hope that the optical engineers at Pentax can figure it out. Didn't Nikon do something similar with one of their lens mounts? It's the same physical mount but the spot size can be either APS or FF sized. The camera does an automatic cropping based on the lens information.
The still have the same register distance. If you increase the distance between the mount and the sensor the lenses designed for the old one won't be able to focus to infinity. Changing flange distance changes focus.
03-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The still have the same register distance. If you increase the distance between the mount and the sensor the lenses designed for the old one won't be able to focus to infinity. Changing flange distance changes focus.
But what if this new theoretical Q had a larger sensor that moved forward and backward, effectively changing the flange distance to accommodate the lens?
03-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
But what if this new theoretical Q had a larger sensor that moved forward and backward, effectively changing the flange distance to accommodate the lens?
That is a way too complex design, that will end up way too expensive.
It's probably hard to find users that want to spend a lot extra on a feature like that.
03-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
That is a way too complex design, that will end up way too expensive.
It's probably hard to find users that want to spend a lot extra on a feature like that.
Possibly, but point and shoot cameras lenses move automatically closer or further from the sensor when they're powered on and off. Is there really that big a difference from moving a sensor when you put certain lenses on and off?
03-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

It then has to be system capable of being as exact as about 0.01mm or better. To that it would probably make the camera bigger to housh the new system and why do it then?
03-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It then has to be system capable of being as exact as about 0.01mm or better. To that it would probably make the camera bigger to housh the new system and why do it then?
If it makes it bigger than it's not a good idea. I'm not an engineer, I'm an idea man.
03-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Possibly, but point and shoot cameras lenses move automatically closer or further from the sensor when they're powered on and off. Is there really that big a difference from moving a sensor when you put certain lenses on and off?
Of course it could be done, but is it worth it? We now have one system for the aperture, one for focusing, one for the shutter, one for shake reduction and everytime you add something more things becomes a lot more complex. The compact cameras you talk about use the focusing unit to achieve that, not an external sensor movement one.

Adding another system for the flange distance would probably cost as much that you rather buy two different cameras for the lenses instead. It just doesn't make sense since it's easier to kill the current system and build a new one instead.

---------- Post added 03-24-14 at 07:07 AM ----------

If it makes it bigger than it's not a good idea. I'm not an engineer, I'm an idea man.
No harm in brainstorming, that's were new great ideas come from! I bet that the Pentax engineers and the economy department have shaken their heads multiple times already this year.