Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could Pentax make the a smaller Q?

We have been hit with a tiny Panasonic and now a small Samsung. Looks like the doom priests were wrong about the worthiness of the Q system. Now every one wants in on the action. None have matched the Q features and controls.

It is amazing how thin the Samsung is. Looking at the Q with the lens off shows a sensor very close to the lens mount. The Samsung sensor must be soooo close to the mount opening. They did save some size by eliminating inbody image stabilization. A feature I would not do without.

Could Pentax counter by making the Q body even smaller? One thing that takes up extra room is the super extending flash. I would hate to lose the superb "big camera" handling we have now for a few mm in each direction.

Thanks
barondla

03-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Less battery space necessary without all those powerful features - the others might look sexy on paper, but once you get them out of the box . . . .
03-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Less battery space necessary without all those powerful features - the others might look sexy on paper, but once you get them out of the box . . . .
Exactly. I'd hate to have even shorter battery life than the Q does now.
03-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Exactly. I'd hate to have even shorter battery life than the Q does now.
Amen to that. If I go out for any serious shooting with the Q I always pack at least one spare battery, and frequently three. The Q is definitely a wonderful camera but I sure wish there was better battery technology out there.

03-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The battery life is certainly a big issue in further miniaturization. I also wouldn't want a smaller screen, or tighter/fewer controls, or to lose IBIS.
03-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Have you seen the massive battery in the NX Mini? It's bigger capacity than the one in K-5!
03-22-2014, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's most likely the SR mechanism that is the biggest limiting factor on size for Q.
Too me it looks like the SR mechanism require about the same space inside the camera that a APS-C sensor would. (probably a bit more as the SR mechanism is thicker than a APS-C sensor)
03-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Who want's a smaller Q? The damn thing is tiny. The Q is small enough with all the controls it has. Smaller Q means less controls means I don't want one. Now, a Q with a 1" sensor in the same body... I'd be all over that.

03-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Who want's a smaller Q? The damn thing is tiny. The Q is small enough with all the controls it has. Smaller Q means less controls means I don't want one. Now, a Q with a 1" sensor in the same body... I'd be all over that.
I have to agree I like our Q's just as they are, for me it's a great handling camera. Now if we could get a f2.8 auto focusing 100mm to 200mm zoom
03-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Agreed. And something can only be so small before it becomes difficult to use. I think Pentax got the ergonomics exactly right with the Q.
03-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Actually, I'd probably prefer a little more meat on the Q body for handheld use with adapted lenses, especially on the right side. I'd say that smaller would probably cause us to lose either battery capacity, SR, or processing power, and might result in overheating. The Q is a pretty densely packed little camera body. IMO, it really doesn't need the smallest body trophy, it's still the smallest ILC from a system standpoint (by quite a bit), and this will probably never be challenged by other mfgs.

Scott
03-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Agreed. And something can only be so small before it becomes difficult to use. I think Pentax got the ergonomics exactly right with the Q.
I can certainly agree with that. Of course anything can be improved but this one works very well.

As for sensor size, I find that I use the original Q almost as much as I use my newer Q7. I do like the improved quality of the larger sensor but the old one is still amazingly good as well. I would certainly watch with interest if Pentax went to a 1" sensor but I am afraid I would probably pass on it if the body had to be enlarged to get it in. The Q series occupies a very unique niche and I would hate to see Pentax walk away from it just to increase the sensor size. Bloat is a death knell for me. I have seen it happen with cameras (and cars), and eventually the goose dies because it gets too fat. Besides, what do you gain? A 1" sensor will still not be as good as large sensor cameras so the reviewers will still run it down.
03-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Besides, what do you gain? A 1" sensor will still not be as good as large sensor cameras so the reviewers will still run it down.
Plus, a bigger sensor means vignetting would be likely with existing Q lenses and adapted C-mount lenses. That wouldn't be a plus.
03-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter

The main reason I suggest a 1" sensor is for competitive purpose. Sensor size seems to be the number one gripe about the Q from reviewers and non-Q owners. Considering the new crop of mirrorless cams that are as small or smaller than the Q having at least 1" sensors, but lack physical controls, a 1" sensor Q would be the complete package.
I realize the current crop of Q lenses may not work with the 1" Q. Unfortunately I have no solution to that other than new lenses.
03-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #15
Forum Member

bad reviews

If it wasn't for all the sensor snobs, I wouldn't be able to afford a couple of them at $850 a piece. Bring on the bad reviews, maybe I get a few more Qs.