Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
First outing with the 03 Fisheye

I recently picked up the 03 Fisheye lens from Adorama during the recent big discount sale at Adorama. Knowing that this lens was a slow lens, that was MF and pretty much all plastic, I wasnt expecting stunning image quality for a sub $90 "toy" lens. However, I was pleasantly surprised...

Took a walk in downtown Columbia MO today, around the MU campus, and snapped a couple pics of some of the landmarks there while the weather was nice. The images captured were plenty sharp, even decently so around the edges of the frame, and benefitted greatly from some decently aggressive sharpening. The images were bright, albeit it there was a tendency to slightly underexpose. Contrast was great and the colors were well saturated in the cooler colors (namely the blues), but the warmer colors (oranges/yellows) needed a little extra saturation (not sure if its because all the plant life is still dormant from winter, or if the lens is just a little undersaturated in some circumstances). Flare resistance was very good, although I did what I could to minimize it.

For those like me who like the occasional shot with a fisheye lens, but really have a hard time justifying spending $250-400+ on a fisheye for DSLR (especially when I have quite the list of lenses to purchase with a higher priority), the sub-$100 spent for a fisheye on the Q is very well worth it!

For the full (albeit short) set of the days shoot, click here

03-23-2014, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shots look great! Congrats on the new lens.
I sold my DA 10-17 after I got my 03 since I didn't do that much fisheye and felt the IQ was close enough.
03-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #3
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shots looks great indeed!
Will show your photos to my wife, maybe she wants a FE lens after that
03-24-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
For those like me who like the occasional shot with a fisheye lens, but really have a hard time justifying spending $250-400+ on a fisheye for DSLR (especially when I have quite the list of lenses to purchase with a higher priority), the sub-$100 spent for a fisheye on the Q is very well worth it!here

Nice shots, You are exactly where I was, I like the thought of having a fisheye but don't use it enough to justify a the price of a DSLR lens. For me the Q has 3 major uses, walk around, super long and super wide.

03-24-2014, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I recently picked up the 03 Fisheye lens from Adorama during the recent big discount sale at Adorama. Knowing that this lens was a slow lens, that was MF and pretty much all plastic, I wasnt expecting stunning image quality for a sub $90 "toy" lens. However, I was pleasantly surprised...

Took a walk in downtown Columbia MO today, around the MU campus, and snapped a couple pics of some of the landmarks there while the weather was nice. The images captured were plenty sharp, even decently so around the edges of the frame, and benefitted greatly from some decently aggressive sharpening. The images were bright, albeit it there was a tendency to slightly underexpose. Contrast was great and the colors were well saturated in the cooler colors (namely the blues), but the warmer colors (oranges/yellows) needed a little extra saturation (not sure if its because all the plant life is still dormant from winter, or if the lens is just a little undersaturated in some circumstances). Flare resistance was very good, although I did what I could to minimize it.

For those like me who like the occasional shot with a fisheye lens, but really have a hard time justifying spending $250-400+ on a fisheye for DSLR (especially when I have quite the list of lenses to purchase with a higher priority), the sub-$100 spent for a fisheye on the Q is very well worth it!

For the full (albeit short) set of the days shoot, click here
Nice job Scott! I like the series alot.

For the price, the 03 fisheye is a great lens to have with the Q.
03-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The 03 is a favorite lens of mine. It's fun & easy to use and the IQ is excellent. I think you'll have some fun with it. Here's a few I shot with the 03:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/995676_568833003159614_1396038358_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1045031_568896959819885_96747754_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1376452_622950214414...96229712_n.jpg

It's a keeper!

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 03-24-2014 at 07:09 AM.
03-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone!

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
The shots looks great indeed!
Will show your photos to my wife, maybe she wants a FE lens after that
Best of luck there! With this lens being as affordable as it is, I imagine there wont be nearly as much resistance as if you told her her you wanted a new DA* lens

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
The 03 is a favorite lens of mine. It's fun & easy to use and the IQ is excellent. I think you'll have some fun with it. Here's a few I shot with the 03:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1045031_568896959819885_96747754_n.jpg
It's a keeper!
Gibby, that is a FANTASTIC shot, and exactly why I wanted to get the 03! Well done!
03-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Gibby, that is a FANTASTIC shot, and exactly why I wanted to get the 03! Well done!
Thanks very much. The cool thing about the 03 is that even though it's slow at f:5.6, it's focal length is extremely short, so you can do handheld shots down to 1/15th of a sec. That often lets you shoot indoors in available light. I consider it a must have lens for the Q.