Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adapter Q troubles

This is a bit different from the other problems I've seen reported with the official Adapter Q for K mount lenses, where the shutter became stuck closed. In my case the adapter will intermittently fail to complete its cycle in the usual way. You know that distinctive click-and-whirr noise it makes -- mine is now inconsistent. Sometimes it will click, then whirr a few seconds later (resulting in a massive overexposure if I am using a normal shutter speed). Sometimes the sound is different in another way, but the exposure is OK. This just started happening yesterday. Unfortunately the unit is a few months out of warranty, so I hope the repair will be substantially less than the cost of replacement.

I'm in the US -- I guess I should send it to CRIS?

03-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow sorry to hear that, no problems with mine yet, but I will keep an eye on it
03-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you tried cleaning camera and adapter electrical contacts? If that doesn't work you will have to send it to CRIS for an estimate.
thanks
barondla

There is also a well thought of independent Pentax repairman. Think his name is Eric. You might search for him. He fixed my 400 lens for very little money.
03-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Haven't tried cleaning contacts yet -- good idea. Eric does outstanding work but specializes in older gear so I don't know if this is something he'd work on. But if it does need repair it won't hurt to check with him.

03-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think best bet is to send it in.
03-30-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Haven't tried cleaning contacts yet -- good idea. Eric does outstanding work but specializes in older gear so I don't know if this is something he'd work on. But if it does need repair it won't hurt to check with him.
Eric repaired my K-20D. However it was a broken housing that needed replacement, nothing electronic. I dropped the camera with a flash unit attached and the housing broke around the flash attachment.

NaCl(he did do an excellent job)H2O
03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some testing this morning and the adapter worked pretty well, missing the first shot after powering up the camera but then working consistently. However, this afternoon I had a few more missed shots. Away for a trip soon and I probably won't get around to sending it in till afterward, but I need to try cleaning the contacts first. Thanks for all the input.
04-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had this happen to me a couple of times today:
Takes a shot, then you don't hear the ending 'clack.'
Next shot, the shutter stays open too long but eventually you hear the 'clack' and the pic is blown out.
Happened a couple of times in a row in the morning, then worked fine for the next hour, then it happened a couple of times again.
When I got home I ran it through it's paces without a lens on and it cycles normally.
Will have to keep an eye on it.
It was colder out today than usual, I wonder if it is temperature related?

04-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Damn, I hope I haven't started a trend.

Currently traveling and didn't bring the Q, so it'll be a bit before I can test again. Last run I found that after powering up the first shot would fail, but then it would work correctly; I powered up and down a few times and this was consistent. But then a later test had a couple of random failures mixed in.
04-05-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Might battery power have something to do with it. Almost like a tv remote with weak batteries. Hope you get it sorted out.

Could also be affected by camera. Crewl1, when yours acts up, have you ever switched it to a different Q body? You need to carry both and do a swap.
thanks
barondla
04-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Might battery power have something to do with it. Almost like a tv remote with weak batteries. Hope you get it sorted out.

Could also be affected by camera. Crewl1, when yours acts up, have you ever switched it to a different Q body? You need to carry both and do a swap.
thanks
barondla
Battery power could be an issue.
I did have to switch out battery because it was showing low soon after.
When it happened again later I think the second battery may have been getting low.
Will bring second body along next time to test.
This happened with my Q7, my other body is a Q.