Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've found PF to be friendly and laid back overall - I guess I haven't visited those other sub-forums. I also participate in a Sony E-mount forum, and it is friendly and laid back, too. I have a Sony NEX-5R, a K-30, and a Q. All 3 have important niches in my schedule, and the Q is about to enter the aerial photography realm. It is always a risk when you launch a model plane with a camera, but the rewards are well worth it.

03-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All join hands now for a chorus of Qumbaya.

I've had the original Q for several months now, my son noticed it the other day for the first time and said:
What a neat looking little camera!
03-31-2014, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've had the original Q for several months now, my son noticed it the other day for the first time and said:
What a neat looking little camera!
For some reason my Q7 just doesn't get the same visceral response.

When I take my original Q out for a walk people literally stop me to talk about it. (Is that an Interchangeable Lens Camera???!!!!). When I have the Q7, smiles, but . . . . . crickets.
03-31-2014, 09:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Take that as a blessing. It allows you to work in stealth mode and shoot like a photographic ninja!

03-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Absolutely.

I think there's a tendency to obsess about ultimate image quality in larger (than 1/1.7) formats,
to the detriment of the fun factor and the creativity of the photography.

Maybe this is why the Q system can be so liberating
(on top of the portability and relative cheapness of the equipment).
THIS^

That pretty much sums it up. We are more worried about having fun with a camera that embodies fun, instead of worrying about sensor size.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the real point is people bought into the Q system with no grand illusion that it would evolve into full frame. Sadly, although the statements from pentax, for years stayed committed to APS-C people made rants about not having FF
Wait...WHAT?! You mean they ARENT going to put a FF sensor into this camera?!?! I spent all those hard earned few dollars on a camera thats fun and Ricoh isnt going to put a class leading sensor in it?! Time to sell!

(Checks calendar)...Oh, its only March 31st. I guess Im a day early for an April Fools joke about a FF camera. /shrug. I guess Ill just have to go enjoy my Q a little more
03-31-2014, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For some reason my Q7 just doesn't get the same visceral response.

When I take my original Q out for a walk people literally stop me to talk about it. (Is that an Interchangeable Lens Camera???!!!!). When I have the Q7, smiles, but . . . . . crickets.
I just tell them that all that noise about WR cameras is pure BS. I hold up the Q and say look what happened to the K5 when it got wet
03-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lowell, I have to use your response next time. What a great come back. Hilarious.

TonyTurley, please be careful with the aerial Q. Can't wait to see your pics. Would love to see your rig.

Thanks
barondla

Monochrome, I didn't realize whole forums could be ignored.

04-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Anson Quote
I tried the Q in store and had difficulties with it's size. It was so tiny in my hands..That's the reason I passed on it....
that's where one of these really helps - I have one on each of my Qs and find them invaluable!

Thumb Up Grip Black for Fujifilm X100 X100S x E1 x20 x Pro1 Pentax Q Q7 Q10 K10 | eBay
04-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just tell them that all that noise about WR cameras is pure BS. I hold up the Q and say look what happened to the K5 when it got wet
I did, in fact, Laugh. Out. Loud.
04-05-2014, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Monochrome, I didn't realize whole forums could be ignored.
>> User Profile
>> Edit Options
>> Big box of choices at the bottom of the page
>> CTRL+Click all the Forums and/or Sub-Forums you want to skip
>> Save Changes

04-05-2014, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Anson Quote
I tried the Q in store and had difficulties with it's size. It was so tiny in my hands..That's the reason I passed on it....It has proved to be a stunning camera in both it's conception and realisation. Hats off to Pentax for this.
Some of you guys must have tennis rackets for hands, I have no problem with the size at all. Maybe it says more about my hands?
04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But if you tumble dry instead of hang drying per instructions!
04-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
>> User Profile
>> Edit Options
>> Big box of choices at the bottom of the page
>> CTRL+Click all the Forums and/or Sub-Forums you want to skip
>> Save Changes

Thanks for the tip monochrome. At the moment I will keep the complete site enabled. There must be rough areas when a mod blocks and skips reading them.
thanks
barondla
04-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #44
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Some of you guys must have tennis rackets for hands, I have no problem with the size at all. Maybe it says more about my hands?
I have, sadly, never had the chance to hold a Q, but I would expect it to be a bit too small for me to comfortably hold it. I did try one of those Canon M things, and that was very hard to hold properly. I expect the Q to have a more sensible layout, but it is also quite a bit smaller. Won't buy one without having tried it - which is a good thing! I don't need another world of lenses opened up

That doesn't change the fact that the Q is a seriously cool concept, and just perfect for having fun.
04-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I have pretty large hands and the thing disappears into my paws. Original Q. It is tiny. The challenge isn't the buttons, they are well placed and work well, it is keeping various digits behind the lens.