Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have, sadly, never had the chance to hold a Q, but I would expect it to be a bit too small for me to comfortably hold it. I did try one of those Canon M things, and that was very hard to hold properly. I expect the Q to have a more sensible layout, but it is also quite a bit smaller. Won't buy one without having tried it - which is a good thing! I don't need another world of lenses opened up

That doesn't change the fact that the Q is a seriously cool concept, and just perfect for having fun.
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I have pretty large hands and the thing disappears into my paws. Original Q. It is tiny. The challenge isn't the buttons, they are well placed and work well, it is keeping various digits behind the lens.
The Q is usable even with largish hands such as mine. It is all a matter of the palm-under grip I've never changed since film days. I don't hold it at arms' length.

If there is a challenge it is that the small buttons are also flat so that pushing them with a fingertip requires conscious thought (but that seems to only trouble me with the On/Off button). The Q7 buttons are slightly domed.

These days I actually use the Q7 more than the Q, but I still prefer the original. It is always in the bag.

04-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have, sadly, never had the chance to hold a Q, but I would expect it to be a bit too small for me to comfortably hold it.
That doesn't change the fact that the Q is a seriously cool concept, and just perfect for having fun.
Monochrome has it correct. Sit the Q in your left palm, with fingers around lens, and let your right fingers dance over the buttons. As stated, the Q10 & Q7 are a little easier with the raised buttons. If you can hold and use an ink pen, you can use a Q!

Get a Q and enjoy life more.
thanks
barondla
04-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I hold up the Q and say look what happened to the K5 when it got wet
I thought that that was where this one came from:

04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #49

I personally have large hands and have no issues wrapping my hands around the Q. It's a completely comfortable camera for me and I can reach all the buttons and controls just fine without fear of dropping the thing. That being said, my hands are large but thin, so those who have meatier mitts might have issues that I don't.

Here's a picture of me holding it the way I usually do:

Then just imagine my left hand wrapped around to steady the cam and turn the focus ring. Seems to work pretty great for me.

cheers,
~M

04-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery
Qs are an enjoyable camera, to be sure! it seems to have brought the fun back to photography for me.

Now is a good time to buy, as the original Q + 02 zoom kit is US$199 on Amazon - and if I didn't already have two, I'd be buying an extra body. they're going for $110.

oh, and there's a drop in price for the Q7

https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-q7-price-drop-376.html

Last edited by emergo; 04-06-2014 at 07:13 PM.
04-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Pleased as punch with mine. Already got 2 other people into one
Topic drift...In Av, how can I get exposure lock if using AF on the back button ?
04-07-2014, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MykeBatez Quote
Here's a picture of me holding it the way I usually do:
I recommend a Nintendo Wii strap on that right Q lug for safety's sake

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Topic drift...In Av, how can I get exposure lock if using AF on the back button ?
On the Q? There is no BBAF AFAIK.

04-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #53
Pentaxian

sorry the green button which is on the back
04-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #54
Veteran Member

The problem with you people is that you are enjoying taking photos and are audacious enough to post them online, even on a forum thread that's not supposed to be about photos!

Keep on keeping on, folks. Long live the Q point of view!
04-08-2014, 04:57 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The problem with you people is that you are enjoying taking photos and are audacious enough to post them online, even on a forum thread that's not supposed to be about photos!

Keep on keeping on, folks. Long live the Q point of view!
I agree, cameras are for posting MTF graphs only. Photos are so 80's...
04-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I recommend a Nintendo Wii strap on that right Q lug for safety's sake
I've been meaning to pick up a strap, but you know what? That sounds like a great (and cheap) way to do it, especially because I have a bunch of those lying around with my Wii collecting dust. I wouldn't have even thought of that, thanks

~M
04-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #57
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I agree, cameras are for posting MTF graphs only. Photos are so 80's...
Are you saying it's possible to shoot other subjects than test charts with the Q? Wow, I wonder if that would be possible with the K-5... Maybe it could be done with a firmware update?

I'm all fired up now!
04-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
anti test chart modes!

The Q even has anti-test chart modes! Pentax was thoughtful enough to place them on the front creative control dial. Try modifying your MTF and other measurements. Don't let measurements get in the way of a good shot. It is so liberating.

Savoche get a Q! Enjoy photography again. Guarantee it is painless.
thanks
barondla
04-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I'm embarrassed, I had to Google MTF graphs.
Now I vaguely know what they are, and that's more than good enough for me.
04-08-2014, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MykeBatez Quote
I've been meaning to pick up a strap, but you know what? That sounds like a great (and cheap) way to do it, especially because I have a bunch of those lying around with my Wii collecting dust. I wouldn't have even thought of that, thanks ~M
They are lightweight, comfy and perfectly sized for the Q.
And because they are made to withstand high speed flinging of an attached object, there is little danger that they will break and let your Q hit the ground.
I have one on each of my Q's.