Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help! What am I doing wrong? - Anhinga - M42 135mm on Q10

Q10 with SMCT M42 135/F3.5 at 5.6. 1/800, ISO 200 SR set at 100mm rather than 135mm. Hand held. Fotodiox adapter.

Bird is blurred, even at 1/800. Focus may be off (?) - water seems in focus. What is happening? 1/13 shutter effect?? Simply out of focus? (Best of a series of 5...)

Big question for me is: If I go for the Pentax K adapter @ $250 (with a 30120 M42 adapter on it) will I see a substantial improvement??

I'm sure a tripod might help, but setting one up on the edge of these FL ponds with the fire ant mounds all around is not something I would prefer to do.

All comments, suggestions, whatever - appreciated!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too slow I think. If the bird was shaking itself, 1/800 is not going to cut it. 1/800 may be enough to handle camera shake for that lens, but not fast enough for subject movement.
03-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't see that lens on the index yet https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html,

I believe that the older lenses with their coatings may not do as well as newer lenses with improved coatings.

You may want to experiment with the lens on a tripod and try different aperture settings to see if there is one better than the f5.6 you used.

In your picture above the highlights are blown out, I have always felt that the Q sensor give me better IQ if I shot it a -.5 to -1 exposure.

Use M mode so you can vary the shutter speed to get an exposure a bit on the negative side, that may help some of the haziness.

Accurate focus is critical as well, use the 4x magnification to help pinpoint the focus point.

Some folks here like @hnikesch may have advice on hand held techniques, I rely on a tripod pretty much all the time as I feel I am too shaky.

I also quickly gave up on old lenses as I felt I lost too much on IQ, and the results I wanted I could only get from newer lenses with better coatings.

Final thought - if your Fotodiox is the old funnel shape style, you will get some improvement by coating the inside with non reflective paint or other material.
03-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see camera motion and possibly missed focus. How does the lens perform with an easier subject and on tripod?

Steve

03-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Everyone!

The lens is the common M42 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F3.5 with the open-aperture gizmos on back - probably 1972 or so. Owned it since new...One of a couple that tested out with the best sharpness and contrast. (I did some resolution chart tests on a tripod with a bunch of M42 135's - this one came out among the best. Results seemed encouraging enough that I thought it might be usable in 'real life'..)

Here are a couple additional shots from the same walkaround - same lens, same F5.6 setting. Seems blown highlights on everything.. Have it on M - but apparently the menu settings are such I am not getting the Over/Under Bar.. I'll fiddle to get it - probably just need to go to a fixed ISO as I remember... Was a really Sunny day here in FL, bad time, too. About 1 PM

Wide open these lenses don't seem that sharp to me to begin with. But one-click down, resolution improves substantially. PF starts to go away at F5.6, and is really gone at F8 - which is the max probably I should be at with the Q anyway..

I was surprised that I got motion at 1/800. That's why I was wondering if I was seeing any effect because of the '1/13 second' electronic shutter...

I am using Larry's $15 Chinese Nikon loupe-thing at eye-level arms close in, lens cradled in left palm. Still finding it tough to focus hand-held. Practice..Prctice..Practice needed for sure

I'll repeat the walkaround as soon as I can, and work on the blown highlights

Thanks again advice, Any and all greatly appreciated! I am going to have to live with the best I can get out of these old Taks - as I am retired and a DA*300 is, unfortunately, not going to appear under the Christmas Tree anytime soon..
Chris
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
03-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Here are a couple additional shots from the same walkaround - same lens, same F5.6 setting. Seems blown highlights on everything.. Have it on M - but apparently the menu settings are such I am not getting the Over/Under Bar.. I'll fiddle to get it - probably just need to go to a fixed ISO as I remember.
Yes, Auto ISO will not show the EV value scale, need to set to fixed ISO, use lowest 100 when possible.

Keep at it, your results will improve. You are more enthusiastic than I, I tried shooting a 135mm this afternoon and I was shaking all over the place even with the $15 loupe

Maybe if Santa doesn't spring for a DA*300, perhaps the Pentax OEM adapter could make the list.
You could be running into the 1/13 effect, but usually what I have seen there is stretchy distortion, not usually blur.

Last edited by crewl1; 03-31-2014 at 12:04 AM.
03-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had that lens and it was sharp on my Q but no sharper than my SMC M 135 f3.5 so I sold the M42, I found that f5.6 was best. I did paint the inside of the adapter. I hand hold most all my Q shots. Use a LCD hood loupe 4X focus assist with peaking. I found the OEM adapter helped when hand holding. You have to be really really steady with a shutterless adapter. I shoot in P mode exposure at -.3 ISO 100. If I didn't have the SMC 135 I would have kept the M42 it was a great lens on the Q. I only get about 20% keepers shooting long lenses on my Q hand held.