Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A Pentax outing and more Q system impressions

Over here (Singapore), we have a nice small community of Pentaxians who meet up for an outing once a month.
This was started by Frank (for those who know him here) way back some 7-8yrs ago, and has been going on well till now.

This month (Mar), we took the opportunity to travel to Malaysia which is the country next door for more photo opportunities.

I have found myself caught up in quite a bit of GAS and wanted to really get back to the simplicity of photography.
You know... that feeling that some camera/lens was a 'must have' and one would not be able to get reliable performance or good photos w/o such and such equipment.
Yes, thats what I felt I was getting caught up with and wanted to break away from.
So I opted to bring the Q7 with the 01, fisheye and 06.
This would keep the encumbrance low and prevent me from thinking too much about the gear.

I would also have the chance to try out the 08 wide zoom that a friend had managed to loan from the local distributor for the purpose of letting Pentaxians try out this lens,

First stop, the local wet market.
Due to rapid urbanization and government policy, some aspects of a wet market has disappeared from Singapore.
So an old market provided good photo opportunities (as are all markets in the world)

Camera was just set to my favourite 'Reversal film' mode.
The 01 prime always proves a good focal length for walkabouts.
In the narrower confines of the market, the focal length worked well, able to give a good working distance w/o standing too far, and able to close in for close up shots.

Dim light was no issue to the Q7 focusing and the 01 with its larger DOF and f1.9 aperture made a lot of shots easy, almost thougthless w/o the need to worry over DOF/Exposure balances which would be a consideration for a larger sensor camera .

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-31-2014 at 08:20 AM.
03-31-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Very nice photos, and a very interesting market!
03-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Very nice photos, and a very interesting market!
Thanks. Yes, it was a very refreshing outing for me too.

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 07:11 AM ----------

There was quite a wait for the food during lunch, so finding some interesting faces amongst the tables, I reached for the 06 zoom.
The Q as a system provided me a fast normal prime with the 01 to about 250mm f2.8 reach with the 06 zoom, all in a small camera which people did not notice or bother with.

This is with the 01
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
An old bakery.
A pre-war bakery, with an interesting character to add to it.

I wanted to capture more of the old bakery and the fisheye suited this role well.

Some sweet looking treats after the 'chicken'

The oven area was dark, but it wasn't that bad since the Q7 with prime 01 had plenty of DOF at f2.2, keeping ISO to a lower ISO600

So to me, if I were to have a check list of what the camera did so far for the sort of photos taken on a easy trip, the Q system seem to have covered decently, imo.

04-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Over here (Singapore), we have a nice small community of Pentaxians who meet up for an outing once a month. This was started by Frank (for those who know him here) way back some 7-8yrs ago, and has been going on well till now. This month (Mar), we took the opportunity to travel to Malaysia which is the country next door for more photo opportunities. I have found myself caught up in quite a bit of GAS and wanted to really get back to the simplicity of photography. You know... that feeling that some camera/lens was a 'must have' and one would not be able to get reliable performance or good photos w/o such and such equipment. Yes, thats what I felt I was getting caught up with and wanted to break away from. So I opted to bring the Q7 with the 01, fisheye and 06. This would keep the encumbrance low and prevent me from thinking too much about the gear. I would also have the chance to try out the 08 wide zoom that a friend had managed to loan from the local distributor for the purpose of letting Pentaxians try out this lens, First stop, the local wet market. Due to rapid urbanization and government policy, some aspects of a wet market has disappeared from Singapore. So an old market provided good photo opportunities (as are all markets in the world)
All really great stuff. You really make the most of the Q system and inspire me to do the same (I've got the same kit you do).
Cheers!
04-02-2014, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
All really great stuff. You really make the most of the Q system and inspire me to do the same (I've got the same kit you do).
Cheers!
Thanks.
I do think that sometimes the sensor size thing gets overboard and the Q system takes a bad rep.
People went out there in the past with their prized cameras with ISO50 or ISO100 film and f3.5, f4 lenses and made pictures the best they could.
And they did it.
Nowadays there is so much fuss over needing this and that to take photos, when often the important thing is to get out there to do it (with whatever camera).

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 10:37 PM ----------

A couple of photos of the buildings around the Johore Bahru old town.

Pressed the fisheye for 'landscape duty'.
Sultan Ibrahim Building - It was completed in 1940 by the British, just in time for the Japanese to occupy it and use it to plan their invasion of Singapore.

01 Prime, I just love the Reversal Film mode for the contrast and colors

State mosque of Johore (previously a colonial building)

Last edited by pinholecam; 04-02-2014 at 07:42 AM.
04-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks.
I do think that sometimes the sensor size thing gets overboard and the Q system takes a bad rep.
People went out there in the past with their prized cameras with ISO50 or ISO100 film and f3.5, f4 lenses and made pictures the best they could.
And they did it.
Nowadays there is so much fuss over needing this and that to take photos, when often the important thing is to get out there to do it (with whatever camera).
It's almost unbelievable how good we have it today with our modern digital cameras. We can take shots today that were technically difficult, if not impossible, 30 years ago. Like you said, we all did the best we could with the film and the cameras we stuck them into back then. But now? No comparison. Don't get me wrong. I love film but I do love my digital cameras too!

04-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
It's almost unbelievable how good we have it today with our modern digital cameras. We can take shots today that were technically difficult, if not impossible, 30 years ago. Like you said, we all did the best we could with the film and the cameras we stuck them into back then. But now? No comparison. Don't get me wrong. I love film but I do love my digital cameras too!
I know what you mean.
In fact, I brought a MZ-5n with me too.
Wanted the trip to be fun, rather than too serious.
04-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A great set of shots! TFS.
04-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoyed these photos--and musings--a lot, Pinholecam.
04-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series Pinehole cam; you are using the Q to its abilities.

Dale
04-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
A great set of shots! TFS.
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Enjoyed these photos--and musings--a lot, Pinholecam.
QuoteOriginally posted by DDoram Quote
Nice series Pinehole cam; you are using the Q to its abilities.

Dale
Thanks for the encouragement.

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 06:47 AM ----------

Orang Asli (native peope - in the Malay language) village.

Got to be one of the highlights of the tour for me.
The kids at the jetty having un-restrained fun bathing/playing is something to remember.

These are taken with the 08 zoom.
After trying it, I got to say that its a wonderful compliment to the Q system.
Its like having a real ultra wide like the Sigma 10-20 ,but so small.
Most other compact cameras only do 24mm or 28mm widest, so this at about 17mm is an advantage to the Q.
With it, there really is no focal length that is uncovered as a system.
I'd wish it was cheaper around the 06 price though.

04-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These photos do really make me covet the 08.
04-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
These photos do really make me covet the 08.
I tell you this....
I did not bother with the 08 when it was released.
Same argument.... too expensive, no point for high IQ on small sensor, etc.

But after I used this loaned copy, my thoughts are a bit changed.
Its a good lens and it adds a lot to the Q as a system.
Like I mentioned above, the feeling is like having a Sigma 10-20, and that together with the fast 01 and the long 06, makes for almost every possible focal length that a photographer will need for most things (like this sort of short trip or day out)
IQ is also good.
I'd think about 06 level good (the 01 is best imo)

I still think its too expensive though.
But after trying it, I'd price it a bit higher than I did before, so sort of 06 price level +$80-$100 would be fine to me.
04-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tell you this....
I did not bother with the 08 when it was released.
Same argument.... too expensive, no point for high IQ on small sensor, etc.

But after I used this loaned copy, my thoughts are a bit changed.
Its a good lens and it adds a lot to the Q as a system.
Like I mentioned above, the feeling is like having a Sigma 10-20, and that together with the fast 01 and the long 06, makes for almost every possible focal length that a photographer will need for most things (like this sort of short trip or day out)
IQ is also good.
I'd think about 06 level good (the 01 is best imo)

I still think its too expensive though.
But after trying it, I'd price it a bit higher than I did before, so sort of 06 price level +$80-$100 would be fine to me.
With a bit of luck, the price may end up there. Let's hope so.

Couldn't agree more strongly that the Q is great for unambitious outings. While traveling a few weeks ago I found myself in South Station, the main railway station, on St Patrick's day, which I hadn't paid attention to. It was full of people on their way to and from celebrations of one sort or another, an ideal place for street photography, and because I had my Q I was ready for it.