Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Question regarding Metz AF24-1 and Q

Considering getting a small shoe flash for the Q (my 540FGZ looks rather comical on it). Ive read the posts regarding the small flashes on the market available, and would like to stick with a P-TTL compatible flash. The Metz AF24-1 (and all of its various clones) seem to be good options, but the price difference has me questioning some things...

The Metz reportedly has a USB port for firmware upgrades making the flash "future proof" as Metz calls it. I cant seem to find the USB port anywhere on images of this flash, nor do any of the clones of this model (Polaroid, Bolt, Vivitar) list that their flashes have said USB port. Does the Metz flash actually contain a USB port for firmware upgrades? If so, is the $30-50 cost increase of the Metz over the clones for said port worth it?

04-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe @snostorm uses this, maybe send him a PM. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/210478-there-small-cheap-bou...ml#post2226100
04-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Scott,

I've not found a USB port on my Metz 24. If there is one, it's pretty well hidden. I bought mine before any of the "clones" appeared, and have since concluded that Metz is probably rebadging this flash from another mfg -- they were just the first of the many who have done this to add a compact bounce-able external flash. . . I could be wrong though. . .

I have not compared the P-TTL performance to any of the "clones", but it is possible that Metz supplied their own P-TTL protocols to their version, which might make it different.

Metz does not claim that the firmware can be updated by the user -- their sites states that firmware can be updated through Metz Service though -- you'd have to send it in. I don't know if any of the clones offer this -- and I'd have some doubts that the "off brands" can be relied on to offer this service/support. Personally, I have no regrets as I'd rather have the backing of a reputable brand than save a few bucks upfront. . .YMMV

Scott
04-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Scott,

Thanks Scott!

Scott.

(LOL) Appreciate the help. The only differences I could find between the Metz and the clones, were that Metz put its own firmware on the AF24-1, and that the GN was ever so slightly higher. Other than that, all models were identical.

Having the support of a company like Metz behind the product is a big plus. In the big picture though, none of these flashes are expensive at all. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something important I was missing if one of the clones happened to come my way.