Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Now it looks I need to retire my 50mm Taks on the Q for the 06. So be it!
yeah-- bit depressing really

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
First test I shot my 06 and my (2) 50's I never adapt my 50 because I assumed the 06 was a better and easier solution in that range, I tested the DA 50 f1.8, the SMC A 50 f1.7 and the 06 at 45mm then just for grins I also shot my SMC F 80-200 zoom and shot test shots at 80 and 150mm. The 06 did out perform the (2) 50's and at a larger aperture. I was also happy with the performance of the zoom. All were shot with the original Q with SR off and triggered with a timer the 50's with 2 sec and the zoom with 12 sec. too much mass and shake at the longer FL. That little 06 is a great little lens and it has AF

Pentax 06 @ 45mm no PP f4

Pentax SMC A 50 f1.7 no PP f5.6

Pentax DA 50 f1.8 no PP f5.6

Pentax SMC F 80-200 @80 no PP f5.6

Pentax SMC F 80-200 @150 no PP f8

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

Just for the hell of it I PP'ed the above shots in my normal Q process in LR5

Pentax 06 @ 45mm

Pentax SMC A 50 f1.7

Pentax DA 50 f1.8

Pentax SMC F 80-200 @80

Pentax SMC F 80-200 @150
What format did you take these off the camera? I wonder if the Q electronically favours the lens it knows (the 06) when converting to jpeg. ie it is probably controlling distortion and possibly PF-- why wouldn't it be tuned to enhance it's dedicated lens? What made me think of this is the fact the gap has closed somewhat between the 06 and the others with your PPed images. This could possibly occur with raw images too. What do you think?

Last edited by GUB; 04-07-2014 at 07:14 PM.
04-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I may have missed it, but what adapter are you using for the K & m42 lenses? Fotodiox (with or without modification) or Pentax OEM?
04-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pentax 110 50mm @ f4.5

f4.5 is an approximation coz I am using my super technical technique() of a black ringbinder reinforcing ring over the back lens to stop it down.
Saved in camera as jpeg and not pped.
Uploaded the sharpest of taken images which interestingly was the one taken at ISO 250 compared to ISO125 for the others. Is that because of shutter speed/ camera shake on my crappy tripod or does the higher iso grain make for a visually sharper image?
I think I have done it correctly-- my 4x6 print doesn't resolve 5 or higher like you said but 4 is the relevant number anyway with your viewing distance(magnification). I distanced the camera so it just viewed the 12x9 square.
Sorry about the colour cast -- doing it at night.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I may have missed it, but what adapter are you using for the K & m42 lenses? Fotodiox (with or without modification) or Pentax OEM?
All mine are using a Fotodiox V1 unmodified. Tripod of course. No SR. 3 sec delay using IR remote. Compared to the Pentax adapter (and 06?) I could see how maybe contrast would be effected, but resolution and CA?

04-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think viewing distance/magnification could be quite a variable in results after shuffling the camera to fit the image. Wouldn't it be simpler to say 2inches of distance for every mm of focal length. That would be 100 inches for the 50mms which is about right. The smart thing about this is it would work for all focal lengths so long as you accurately know the focal length (ie zooms would be a problem)
04-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
f4.5 is an approximation coz I am using my super technical technique() of a black ringbinder reinforcing ring over the back lens to stop it down.
Saved in camera as jpeg and not pped.
Uploaded the sharpest of taken images which interestingly was the one taken at ISO 250 compared to ISO125 for the others. Is that because of shutter speed/ camera shake on my crappy tripod or does the higher iso grain make for a visually sharper image?
I think I have done it correctly-- my 4x6 print doesn't resolve 5 or higher like you said but 4 is the relevant number anyway with your viewing distance(magnification). I distanced the camera so it just viewed the 12x9 square.
Sorry about the colour cast -- doing it at night.
Looks like the 5 lp is just resolved - 250 lp/mm. Backs up why you are getting those great shots on the main Adapted thread. Your dog is famous

'So many lenses, so little time...'

PS - your 12 x 9 framing matches mine. Our results should be comparable.

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 01:50 AM ----------

I think viewing distance/magnification could be quite a variable in results after shuffling the camera to fit the image. Wouldn't it be simpler to say 2inches of distance for every mm of focal length. That would be 100 inches for the 50mms which is about right. The smart thing about this is it would work for all focal lengths so long as you accurately know the focal length (ie zooms would be a problem)
Interesting point. I started all this using Canon guy Atkins 'fit the frame' approach. But I find I generally under-fill the frame. I've been accepting that, as doing so conservatively shows the lp resolution... But now that I see the 06 from Hans....

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 02:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
On 28mm lens comparisons for FF or APS-c, I would also want to know how rectilinear each lens is. Straight lines that curve can ruin some shots. It can be fixed in post, but there is resolution loss.
Now that I think about it, using a FF 28mm on the Q makes no sense at all. Using the Q to assess a 28's resolution and contrast (for use on APS-C/FF), maybe.

Otherwise, we are dealing with all the complexities of a retrofocus design, without the need to do so - as Baz' 110 shots show...
04-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #22
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Looks like the 5 lp is just resolved - 250 lp/mm
But the 5 grid is barely resolved on my print so we are operating at the limit of the print. So here I doubled the viewing distance , (5 metres or a metre for every 10mm of focal length) cropped 600x400 and scaled 200% to get the same sized image. But now if I have this sorted right 2.5 = the old 5 resolution--- 250lpm. But now working in a well defined area of the print. Have I got this right? Remember I expect everything to be less sharp coz I am straining the lens more.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-08-2014, 03:00 AM   #23
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pentax 110 24mm @f4.5

Here is the 24mm done the same as above so if I have got that right thats better than 220 lpmm but perhaps not 250?
How does that compare to your 28s ?

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 10:15 PM ----------

Hang on a minute, now I am doing it the same way as Bob Atkin: Camera Lens Testing- Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Distortion - Bob Atkins Photography
Didn't you go the wrong way to solve the resolution problem of your print? Or have I got this totally cocked up?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just curious here, did you use the pentax q/PK adaptor, or a third party one. Does the shutter in a Q/PK adaptor make a difference?
04-08-2014, 03:46 AM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just curious here, did you use the pentax q/PK adaptor, or a third party one. Does the shutter in a Q/PK adaptor make a difference?
Given that there is no glass in a adapter I can't see how they can make an ounce of difference other than perhaps contrast if the insides are shiny.
I used a third party one for the 110 50mm and my own build for the 24mm and this 18mm sample. (basically thru a helicoid extension with a Q mount stuck to an m42 thread at the camera.)
I do wonder if the physical shutter may make a difference as against the scanning of the sensor and this would be a great test base to try it on. Given that it is a stationary subject I doubt there is a difference.
So this is the 110 18mm @f4.5 treated the same as above. (distance 1.8 metres)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-08-2014, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What format did you take these off the camera? I wonder if the Q electronically favours the lens it knows (the 06) when converting to jpeg. ie it is probably controlling distortion and possibly PF-- why wouldn't it be tuned to enhance it's dedicated lens? What made me think of this is the fact the gap has closed somewhat between the 06 and the others with your PPed images. This could possibly occur with raw images too. What do you think?
The images were all .jpeg and I used the Pentax adapter, I don't think the shutter makes a difference because I was on a tripod and SR was off

GUB you are not happy with your 55-300??? mine is my most used lens on my K30 and I am quite happy with my results. I do have to shoot it at F8 to get the best results, it also works very well on my Q
04-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The images were all .jpeg and I used the Pentax adapter, I don't think the shutter makes a difference because I was on a tripod and SR was off

GUB you are not happy with your 55-300??? mine is my most used lens on my K30 and I am quite happy with my results. I do have to shoot it at F8 to get the best results, it also works very well on my Q
The shutter might make a difference. It could theoretically be a bad difference. The shutter causes some vibration that the other adapter doesn't have. There are other ways adapters can degrade IQ. The adapter might not be perfectly parallel to the sensor. Wonder if the cheap adapters maintain tight tolerances that match the Pentax oem adapter? Contrast will also affect resolution.

I agree hnikesch, the Pentax DA55-300 is a super consumer zoom. Maybe GUB has a bad copy. Or if using AF, perhaps micro focus adjustment is needed? That it can even get good results on the Q, says something about its quality.
thanks
barondla
04-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok tho 06 lens corner sharpness chart, first chart the overall 12X9 chart, 2nd image center 06 lens, 3rd upper left corner, Just a quick test shots at f4 hand held

Center

Upper left corner

The little lens looses some in the corner but for me the size and AF make up for it

Added the 06 lens shot on the Q7 in tripod @45mm

Overall

Center

Upper Left Cnr

Last edited by hnikesch; 04-08-2014 at 08:36 AM.
04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok tho 06 lens corner sharpness chart, first chart the overall 12X9 chart, 2nd image center 06 lens, 3rd upper left corner, Just a quick test shots at f4 hand held

The little lens looses some in the corner but for me the size and AF make up for it

Added the 06 lens shot on the Q7 in tripod @45mm
Overall
Center
Upper Left Cnr
Great results, Hans. Thanks! I'm looking at the 06 $236 on Amazon... I might have to tie my hands behind my back... Or divert by looking at a Q7 package..

I did notice something a little different about your Atkins chart printout - the dark vertical bars seem a different width than the horizontal bars... On my printout, the bars are the same width all around. And the size - from outer edge of black bars - is 4" vertical and 6 1/4" + horizontal.

I did have a problem initially with my printer 'fitting' and not giving me the actual size. I had to uncheck something and recheck 'Print Actual' (or something like that)

No matter, your comparisons with your other lenses would have been consistent - and the 06 is stellar...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 

Last edited by cahudson42; 04-08-2014 at 10:12 AM.
04-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
02 @15mm

Wondered what the 02 looks like after the great 06 shots..

02_15_4.5Ctr
02_15_4.5Edge
02_15_8.0Ctr
02_15_8.0Edge

Pentax doing something right. Hard to beat let alone match with legacy glass, I do think I see a hint of CA creeping into the 4.5 Edge shot. And as expected, both F8.0 seem slightly lower contrast (and less Ctr resolution?) though the F8.0 Edge seems less CA... AF... 3 sec remote delay...SR Off
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo