Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #61
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cahudson42 Quote
Now for a few more of your doggie!
Trouble is all the paparazzi treatment is going to her head. She is starting to look down her nose at everyone
LPL 75mm pped in gimp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #62
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

About 23 C today - but humid as it usually is here in Orlando, FL
That is hard case-- my 110 70mm is coming from Spring Hill -- looks like about 100kms from you --all the way across to New Zealand
04-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #63
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

200mm test.

Ca is interesting here. There is little ca on the old M42 Tele-takumar preset and it is very close to the M at 5.6 and 8.
The M glows like a rainbow with ca and the Soligor is shite.
But the interesting thing is both the Soligor and the M200 seem to have less ca wide open compared to stopped down. This is not normally what happens with lens. I wonder if this result is repeatable by someone else?
I have cropped the relevant bit of the image so as to fit them as one. Be aware that the M200 is cropped at a slightly different place to the preset and it is slightly sharper.
But the preset would have to be my weapon of choice ! (And it is an engineering beauty and looking cool on the q is a bonus)
Attached Images

04-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #64
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Ca is interesting here. There is little ca on the old M42 Tele-takumar preset and it is very close to the M at 5.6 and 8.
The M glows like a rainbow with ca and the Soligor is shite.
But the interesting thing is both the Soligor and the M200 seem to have less ca wide open compared to stopped down. This is not normally what happens with lens. I wonder if this result is repeatable by someone else?
I have cropped the relevant bit of the image so as to fit them as one. Be aware that the M200 is cropped at a slightly different place to the preset and it is slightly sharper.
But the preset would have to be my weapon of choice ! (And it is an engineering beauty and looking cool on the q is a bonus)
Hi Baz

Interesting for sure. I don't have a 200mm Soligor, but I do have both M42 200mm Taks - the SMCT f4 and the f5.6 Preset. (with the Preset being the one in the Q bag at this point). I'll try to run a comparison sometime in the next few days (have to setup outside - not enough room on my porch..).

I can't remember any other comparison where CA got worse stopped down. Did you refocus? Any filter? Hood?

Chris

04-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #65
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Baz

Interesting for sure. I don't have a 200mm Soligor, but I do have both M42 200mm Taks - the SMCT f4 and the f5.6 Preset. (with the Preset being the one in the Q bag at this point). I'll try to run a comparison sometime in the next few days (have to setup outside - not enough room on my porch..).

I can't remember any other comparison where CA got worse stopped down. Did you refocus? Any filter? Hood?

Chris
Hi Chris
I refocus with every exposure, take 2 to 3 shots and select the best. Hoods on and no filters. I wonder if it is an illusion and I slightly misfocussed the other way in the open ones. There is a blue green tinge there but it may not contrast the same as the red. Remember how the colour of ca changes depending on focus.
04-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #66
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

70mm shootout

My 110 70mm turned up today-- what a beauty. Compared it against my enlarger lens.
It blows the enlarger lens away for sharpness but has a little more ca.
The enlarger lens seems to do special closeup work and may still have a place there.
Attached Images

04-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #67
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Hi Chris
I refocus with every exposure, take 2 to 3 shots and select the best. Hoods on and no filters. I wonder if it is an illusion and I slightly misfocussed the other way in the open ones. There is a blue green tinge there but it may not contrast the same as the red. Remember how the colour of ca changes depending on focus.
I too was wondering if the CA change was possibly a focus issue - thats why I asked if you refocused between shots. When I'm doing several f stops with a lens, I usually focus once wide open - and take the stopped-down shots at that same focus. Sometimes the entire series is out of focus and I can't really use it - but most of the time - using the Siemens Star 'smallest diameter shimmer' technique, they seem OK.

I'll try to test mine as soon as I can.

BTW - your 70mm looks great! Seems another 110 winner on the Q... Even at f 2.8... with less CA using the ring reinforcer.
04-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #68
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Even at f 2.8... with less CA using the ring reinforcer.
Yes I was thinking I would probably leave it wide open.
I usually focus once wide open - and take the stopped-down shots at that same focus. Sometimes the entire series is out of focus and I can't really use it - but most of the time - using the Siemens Star 'smallest diameter shimmer' technique, they seem OK.
Interesting difference. I usually refocus coz I feel I will probably manage to bump the focus while stopping down. Plus I have a 100year old 6inch lens here that changes focus as you stop down and I don,t trust the modern ones to not do that with the super fine focussing that we are trying to achieve.

04-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting about lenses possibly having more ca when stopped down. If this holds up with more testing, I have a theory. These lenses may have a fair amount of focus shift when stopped down. So the advantage we should gain from stopping down, may not balance the image focus being worse. This doesn't mean the image is out of focus since we have more depth of field.

Are you focusing the lens wide open or at the shooting aperture? Focusing at the shooting aperture would prove or disprove this theory.
thanks
barondla
04-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #70
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Interesting about lenses possibly having more ca when stopped down. If this holds up with more testing, I have a theory. These lenses may have a fair amount of focus shift when stopped down. So the advantage we should gain from stopping down, may not balance the image focus being worse. This doesn't mean the image is out of focus since we have more depth of field.

Are you focusing the lens wide open or at the shooting aperture? Focusing at the shooting aperture would prove or disprove this theory.
thanks
barondla
I focus at the shooting aperture but I have to admit I have never seen a focus shift(with the exception of the old lens)-- it is more a case that the contrast focus intensifies (on the siemian star) as you stop towards the optimum aperture and I like to observe this. It took me a long time to work out the obvious,that the old technique of focussing wide open for maximum visible effect doesn't apply with contrast focussing.
When I started doing these sort of testings I was getting a lot of variation in my bracketed shots and that bothered me as to the integrity of the results but I guess I am getting better at it and there is a lot less variation now. Remember all this stuff is a learning curve for me.
04-24-2014, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #71
Inactive Account

Original Poster
CA Stopped Down

Interesting Baz and Barondla,

When taking a series of shots with the same lens, as mentioned earlier, I usually just focus once at the widest opening. However, one exception is my test: Lensbaby f11 & 16 'discs in adapter' results - 110 50mm f2.8 lens.

50_2.8Ctr (no disc)
50_2.8Edge (no disc)
50_11Ctr
50_11Edge
50_16Ctr
50_16Edge

Here, I obviously had to refocus every time. And now that I look at them after Baz' finding on CA - I think I see the Edge CA of the 50 at f16 is a bit worse than the same Edge at f11 (f being the lensbaby disc). (More lateral CA?) Maybe diffraction here, though? Maybe not - as I think f16 lensbaby equates to a real f5.6/6.3 or so??

And Barondla, seeing your 110 50 and 1.7 Soligor TC on the main thread ('fisherman') I just got a NOS 1.7 Soligor. So far unused by me. But instruction sheet (PDF attached) says it makes the 110 50 into an 85mm f8 - this will be another interesting resolution/CA test - as soon as I get to it
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Soligor110_1.7TC.PDF (151.6 KB, 287 views)
04-24-2014, 04:41 AM   #72
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got a NOS 1.7 Soligor
Is that a fleaplay $69 one. To be NOS it would not have HongKong on it would it? Does it have the stopping down capacity?
04-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #73
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, it is a fleabay one. A listing where the seller had a bunch of 10 he found somewhere, and had sold then 6 of them - asking $59.95, with Best Offer available. I'm sure I overpaid as I often do, but $30 was rejected and $45 accepted. It is marked Hong Kong. But it came in a box marked AIC (Allied Impex - Soligor) - also Hong Kong, and a little Soligor pouch. Can't see anyone counterfeiting Soligor stuff, but who knows?

The iris is fixed - a disk with a hole in it - inside the elements. No adjustability.

No idea how good it is yet - just got it.. Maybe I can try it later today...
04-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #74
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

It is marked Hong Kong. But it came in a box marked AIC (Allied Impex - Soligor) - also Hong Kong, and a little Soligor pouch. Can't see anyone counterfeiting Soligor stuff
Barondla solve this puzzle Does yours have Hong Kong on it (Or did you get it from the same source?)
As for counterfeiting Soligor--- it is sort of like counterfeiting Ladas
04-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #75
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Soligor was purchased in the original Pentax Auto 110 days. There was no fleabay. Nor internet. Thanks to cahudson42 for linking to the original instructions. Think I bought my converter used, because I don't remember ever seeing a box or instructions.

Totally amazed that a 2 element converter can even work. Cheap DSLR converters are 4 element, with better quality ones having more elements. Neat to know the amount of light "absorbed" by the converter. My converter says Japan on it in big white letters. Need to use it and the 110 50mm more.

Makes me think a 1.5X multi element Q teleconverter would be a possibility!
interesting discussion
thanks
barondla