Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where should sample lens photos be stored for the Q?

Let me start by saying that the forum member Crewl1 has done an admirable job with the lenses adapted to the Q image index and thread.

However, today, a forum member did something that has made me think perhaps there is a better way.

I presently maintain the archive listing of sample images for lenses, having taken over this from other forum members as it fell into disrepair.

Today, someone posted a new thread with images of an adapted lens onto the Q in that forum.

It made me think, should we use the sample image archive as the means of posting samples of lenses adapted on the Q.

What does everyone think? I would be curious to hear your answers.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-09-2014 at 01:45 PM.
04-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmmh, maybe the PF admins could step in and add a special part of the forum for that, similar to the Camera reviews and lens reviews sections. That would further differentiate this forum from others, generate traffic, and make the comments/reviews and sample photos easy to browse (and easy to add)
04-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hmmh, maybe the PF admins could step in and add a special part of the forum for that, similar to the Camera reviews and lens reviews sections. That would further differentiate this forum from others, generate traffic, and make the comments/reviews and sample photos easy to browse (and easy to add)
No offence to the admins, but if we can keep it out of their hands, the better. They have enough to do, and the sample image archive is alive and well, with typically 3-4 new lenses added monthly.

Had I been really thinking, I would have done this a long time ago, with an index separate in the archive for the Q but I had. Been late taking interest in the Q (because I did not own one til last year. My bad
04-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that a thread (or threads) in this forum, maintained by you guys, would be the way to go. Eventually I'll be able to reverse-engineer the sample photo search system and make it possible to tag images that don't have any lens info, thus allowing us to maintain a centralized database of all images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The advantage to using the lens sample archive is that it allows a thread to be populated with multiple users samples for one lens, while our current index thread above is impossible to navigate without the index for assistance (and requires that we point to the right post too )

Are there any disadvantages to moving everything over to the lens sample archive?

What I would envision is someone (Lowell?) would start a new thread for each lens on the Q in the lens archive forum, as well as copy over the posts and any for additional entries from our index thread for the same lens.

Lowell can you provide a link to the lens index and the Q lens entry that the person submitted so we can see how it works?

FYI the current Q lens index has 212 entries, but some are the same lens submitted more than once.
04-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The advantage to using the lens sample archive is that it allows a thread to be populated with multiple users samples for one lens, while our current index thread above is impossible to navigate without the index for assistance (and requires that we point to the right post too )

Are there any disadvantages to moving everything over to the lens sample archive?

What I would envision is someone (Lowell?) would start a new thread for each lens on the Q in the lens archive forum, as well as copy over the posts and any for additional entries from our index thread for the same lens.

Lowell can you provide a link to the lens index and the Q lens entry that the person submitted so we can see how it works?

FYI the current Q lens index has 212 entries, but some are the same lens submitted more than once.
Here is the new index I started in the lens archive

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/257214-arch...used-q-q7.html
04-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here is the list maintained by Crewl1 set out in a format similar to the sample archive see the second & third posts

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/257214-arch...ml#post2773441

04-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
here is the list maintained by Crewl1 set out in a format similar to the sample archive see the second & third posts

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/257214-arch...ml#post2773441
Did you that manually by parsing the index thread? I will send a PM. about that.

is it feasible to continue to keep the current method, but then also maintain your index in the lens samples forum?
if someone posts a lens over there but not here, would a single index be able to show the link to both locations?
Maybe the answer is to create a thread each time a new lens appears either here or there.
The maintenance of the links for multiple places would be difficult I think.
04-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you that manually by parsing the index thread? I will send a PM. about that.

is it feasible to continue to keep the current method, but then also maintain your index in the lens samples forum?
if someone posts a lens over there but not here, would a single index be able to show the link to both locations?
Maybe the answer is to create a thread each time a new lens appears either here or there.
The maintenance of the links for multiple places would be difficult I think.
for the purpose of clarity and so other members can understand a simple way to create indexes, i copied the content of your index, by starting a quote of the post. that gave me a way to copy your links. After all i am a lazy guy at heart.

I then copied into a text editor (word in this case) to do a sort and rearrange my manufacturer and series etc. I then pasted the content back into a new post.

For additions, it is relatively easy to manually update the lenses by watching for new threads, and then by clicking on the post number itself (upper right corner) that puts the post URL into your search bar, and you can copy and paste (with correct opening and closing syntax) into the index during an edit.

with the lens archive index, you copy the thread into the index as opposed to the individual posts.

it is all manual, but once running it only takes a few minutes per new addition to keep it up to date, now that you have done the first few hundred images and lenses. Same with the lens archive when I took it over, once i got it all up to date and structured, simple to maintain
04-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just don't get run over by a bus
04-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just don't get run over by a bus
in case your wondering, i'm into trains not buses
04-17-2014, 02:58 AM   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
for the purpose of clarity and so other members can understand a simple way to create indexes, i copied the content of your index, by starting a quote of the post. that gave me a way to copy your links. After all i am a lazy guy at heart.

I then copied into a text editor (word in this case) to do a sort and rearrange my manufacturer and series etc. I then pasted the content back into a new post.

For additions, it is relatively easy to manually update the lenses by watching for new threads, and then by clicking on the post number itself (upper right corner) that puts the post URL into your search bar, and you can copy and paste (with correct opening and closing syntax) into the index during an edit.

with the lens archive index, you copy the thread into the index as opposed to the individual posts.

it is all manual, but once running it only takes a few minutes per new addition to keep it up to date, now that you have done the first few hundred images and lenses. Same with the lens archive when I took it over, once i got it all up to date and structured, simple to maintain
So for example if I have a good 110 50mm Q image that I would like to upload as a sample how should I do it under this new system? Do I just add it to crew1 adapted lens as usual and leave it to you?
It is a great project but a lot of work for you. It is a real shortcoming to the adapted lens that same lens images are not together and can not be built on especially as a lot of the existing ones have had their images removed (or have poor examples).
But once more - great work guys.
04-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
So for example if I have a good 110 50mm Q image that I would like to upload as a sample how should I do it under this new system? Do I just add it to crew1 adapted lens as usual and leave it to you?
It is a great project but a lot of work for you. It is a real shortcoming to the adapted lens that same lens images are not together and can not be built on especially as a lot of the existing ones have had their images removed (or have poor examples).
But once more - great work guys.
You have two options. Start a new thread in the lens sample image archive, and I will put it into the index for samples in the archive, or post it in the thread started by crewl1 and I will catch it and add it to my list also. The preferable method is to put a thread in the sample image archive because multiple posters can add images for that lens in the tread and it does not need any additional administrative work once the thread for the lens is started.
04-18-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To all those interested, the image index for lenses on the Q is up and running and is a sticky on the Lens Sample Photo Archive.

You can, for any lens not in the first post of the archive index for the Q start a new thread in the archive, and I will add the lens to the index.

The second and third posts have an index cross linking all the posts in the sample thread here maintained by crewl1