Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Request Help: Defective Pentax Q K Adapter?

I received the adapter and it seemed to work for several test shots w/ a super takumar and an M lens, and then not. Following is what I observed.
1) The adapter aperture was fully open, and the small silver latch inside was loose, and worked OK w/ 2 lenses.
2) After dismounting I noticed the aperture blades are/stay closed, the silver latch is no longer loose, and aperture opening doesn't look precisely symmetric.
3) Remounting it on Q and adding lens, the adapter shutter stays closed.

I have attached some photos. The 3rd photo shows the silver latch best.
Is there an interlock somewhere on the adapter?
Does it seem the aperture blades have "crashed?" BTW there was no physical touching of the aperture blades (by me) at any time.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
04-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you updated your camera's firmware to the latest version?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam, yes for the camera--Ver 1.14 (and for my 02 lens).

Is there one for the adapter?

(Looking now) I do not find one at Pentax/Ricoh site--but I also no longer see where the 02 lens firmware update is--so maybe I missed it.
04-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nope, none for the adapter. The latest camera firmware is all you need, as without it the leaf shutter may lock up as you're describing.

It's been a while since I've used the adapter so I'm afraid I can't be of any further help, but what I do know is that there are no other switches on it to release the diaphragm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam--as you say the leaf shutter would lock up as I described--w/o the latest firmware--it suggests possibly an error in lens-adapter communication. I will try mounting/using/dismounting to see if it "clears." Thanks again.
04-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1.)The shutter blades (not aperture) stay semi closed when there is no power to the adapter.
2.)If you install it and turn on the camera the shutter opens up so the sensor is exposed to the lens for viewing on the LCD.
3.)When you take a picture the shutter snaps closed at the end of the exposure then opens up again once the picture is recorded.
4.)If you turn off the power the shutter goes semi closed again.
5.)The little silver lever is the mechanical aperture control for non apertured lenses such as DA types. It is loose when not installed on a lens.
6.)If you tilt the adapter a certain way you will see it move when you turn the aperture dial on the adapter from open to closed.
7.)If your lens has an aperture ring such as your M lens, leave the adapter in the closed position and control the aperture via the lens
04-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

does the problems seem like what is listed here...https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/147-pentax-mirrorless-cameras/213018-prob...x-adapter.html

mine was defective and once i got a new one all was well in q land

04-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tried mounting/using/dismounting and no change.
Crewl1--The silver lever was free moving when I received the adapter, but is stationary now. But I could have sworn the blades were retracted when I got it.
Pearsaab--I will review the link you sent--but looks like I cannot get to it till Friday late.
Will let let you know the status/what I tried/etc.
Thanks
04-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Tried mounting/using/dismounting and no change.
Crewl1--The silver lever was free moving when I received the adapter, but is stationary now. But I could have sworn the blades were retracted when I got it.
Pearsaab--I will review the link you sent--but looks like I cannot get to it till Friday late.
Will let let you know the status/what I tried/etc.
Thanks
Mine works normally, and shutter goes to that lazy pentagon shape when I turn off the camera or remove the adapter.
Silver lever will be free when you have the aperture dial at 'closed', it will be stationary when the dial is at 'open' position.

If the shutter does not open when you install it and you turn on the camera then it is defective.
04-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Crewl1--OK my adapter now works exactly as you said.

Works fine w/ couple of Pentax M42's, Vivitar PKA and Pentax K, but not my 50mm f/1.7 M--but I had bent the aperture lever to work on my K20d/K-x--so that lens is a questionable copy.

I cleaned contacts and put a fully charge battery in. [Thanks Pearsaab--I believe your link suggested this.] Bottom line is I am not sure what worked/why. If I figure it out/it happens again--and it seems like it is a useful post to caution others--I will do so.

Only few pictures so far but having never used auto WB before (I only shot raw), I am amazed how good it is. The need to rely on AF is also not something I ever did before--and that is an area I wished the 02 5-15mm lens had real manual focus and distance scale. I am thinking of getting the 04 toy wide lens so I have real mf--possibly I can calibrate it's distance scale.

I have found the Q so far to be an amazing/liberating camera. Except for the Nikon Nikonos III (my any weather "point and shoot" camera) I don't remember ever being as impressed with a camera as I am with it.

Again thanks--now waiting for the tripod foot/arca plate--and will give it/likely lenses a real test.

Last edited by dms; 04-10-2014 at 10:26 PM.
04-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Crewl1--OK my adapter now works exactly as you said.

Works fine w/ couple of Pentax M42's, Vivitar PKA and Pentax K, but not my 50mm f/1.7 M--but I had bent the aperture lever to work on my K20d/K-x--so that lens is a questionable copy.

I cleaned contacts and put a fully charge battery in. Bottom line is I am not sure what worked/why. If I figure it out/it happens again--and it seems like it is a useful post to caution others--I will do so.

Only few pictures so far but having never used auto WB before (I only shot raw), I am amazed how good it is. The need to rely on AF is also not something I ever did before--and that is an area I wished the 02 5-15mm lens had real manual focus and distance scale. I am thinking of getting the 04 toy wide lens so I have real mf--possibly I can calibrate it's distance scale.

I have found the Q so far to be an amazing/liberating camera. Except for the Nikon Nikonos III (my any weather "point and shoot" camera) I don't remember ever being as impressed with a camera as I am with it.

Again thanks--now waiting for the tripod foot/arca plate--and will give it/likely lenses a real test.
Good to hear that it is working. Too bad about your M, I used M lenses on my K-x and K10D, K-5 and I did not need to bend a lever.
If you start using your Q a lot you will want to get extra batteries, they run down pretty fast, especially when making that big leaf shutter on the adapter do its thing.