Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #1

Best Q7 settings

Hi
I just get Q7 (with 01, 06, 08 lenses) and now searching for best settings for this gem. There is no much info around internet for Q7
I mean settings for everything, can you share your settings with others? Thank you!

BTW: I like this forum!

04-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EdGuY Quote
Hi
I just get Q7 (with 01, 06, 08 lenses) and now searching for best settings for this gem. There is no much info around internet for Q7
I mean settings for everything, can you share your settings with others? Thank you!

BTW: I like this forum!
I'd start by reading the PF Review of the Q7. It's full of information about the camera and the effect the settings have on output. There's also a good comparison to the original Q. What you'll find is a starting point - where higher ISO begins to create unpleasant noise, where lenses begin to encounter diffraction, etc. Like a dSLR, best settings are determined situaltionally by conditions and intended image character The Q7 is quite flexible and capable for such a small camera.

What you might find is several useful combinations that meet frequent uses. These can be saved as User Modes and controlled by the front Dial.
04-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you! I check that out.

But if people can share what settings they use with Q7, I think I'm not the only one who is interested in them.
04-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I usually keep mine in spot focus select, raw+, awb - then I'll choose bold monochrome, brilliant color, user 1, or cross process using the front wheel if I'm wanting to play around a little. The nice thing about the q7 is that by pressing the info button, it's pretty easy to change settings quickly. That's about all I've done settings wise...

04-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

On a normal sunny day without dark shadows between 10AM and 2PM with native Q lenses I use P mode with exposure comp @ -0.3 AWB, ISO 100, center spot focus and shoot .jpeg then I change the exposure compensation as required to get the exposure looking the way I want the image to look. In all other types of lighting (Bright sun with deep shadows, evening, early morning, indoors, night) I shoot RAW+ and Auto ISO. still in P mode changing the exposure compensation as required to get the exposure looking the way I want the image to look. All this is assuming I am not dealing with motion or DOF issues and that I want to control shutter speed or aperture for some reason.
04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It really is just like a dSLR

'Best' is tough to answer since the camera is so versatile and we each seem to use it in the way we like. Your best settings depend on what you think is good - and might not agree with my best settings. Like I said before, I suggest you start with simple stuff and experiment - that's the fun part anyway!!

My current starting settings - what I always start with (comes back when I PowerOn):
  • Update to most recent Firmware
  • Change default "Bright" processing to "Natural"
  • Accept standard E-dial settings in Modes
  • 01 default lens mounted (usually)
    • f/2.8 usually
  • ISO Auto 1600 Limit (usually)
  • Av - as long as shutter speed stays above 1/60, otherwise M (GB = Off)
  • Multi-Segment metering
  • Flash Off
  • AF Spot (Smallest)
    • Enable MF/Autozoom (4x) - when touching up focus with Quick Shift LCD should zoom automatically
    • I use the focus and recompose method, like with a film camera
  • Peaking On
  • Single Frame
  • AE Lock only as necessary
    • AE linked to AF point OFF
  • EV Comp centered - change as necessary
I'm at work, but I think that's all of it. Of course all of this goes out the window for special needs such as backlit subjects with Fill Flash. Then I go into INFO Screen and adjust what needs adjusting - or even into Menu.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-10-2014 at 09:33 PM.
04-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

i think you'll find pinholecam's real world review of the Q7 very useful for settings and using the camera (search this forum to find it). i did find his review of the original Q to help me a lot and im still using some of the suggestions he made like assigning the reversal film to one of user modes on the front weel, imo with good light it renders very nice colors:

04-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
WoW! I get lot of hints from you, thank you all!

This camera is really something. I'm using A7R normally, bought this for every day use as a "pocket camera" and it is much better than I expected! Only need to find good viewfinder for this prime...

04-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Don't overlook the ND filter. With it you can avoid stopping down to small apertures and getting into diffraction, among other uses. It does have an "auto" setting, right? The MX-1 does.
04-11-2014, 06:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Don't overlook the ND filter. With it you can avoid stopping down to small apertures and getting into diffraction, among other uses. It does have an "auto" setting, right? The MX-1 does.
No the ND filter only has ON/OFF settings, too bad Auto would have been nice
04-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #11

It would be nice to be able to map the ND toggle to a button.
04-12-2014, 05:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Talos Quote
It would be nice to be able to map the ND toggle to a button.
On the Q7 you can program it to the front quick dial