Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

What would be your Choice? Complete Ricoh GR Kit or Pentax Q7 Complete Kit?

Hello Pentax/Ricoh Community!

Right now I own a Ricoh GR Kit which is almost complete. I have the Viewfinder + Hood and Filtertube + UV Filter for it. The only thing missing is the Ricoh GW-3 Wideangle Adapter which I planned to purchase next month. I really enjoy the camera and it's handling is really great!

Now i also had the original Q which was the most fun camera i have ever used. I was also very impressed what Pentax could squeeze out of such a small sensor.
I just saw that the Pentax Q7 Complete KIT is also available here and it's reeeaaallyy tempting. I need some time (and maybe some insight from you guys ) to think about it first, but what would you do if you could choose freely between the two?

Complete Ricoh GR Kit or the Pentax Q7 Complete Kit?

I'm looking forward to your opinions

04-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Senduy Quote
Hello Pentax/Ricoh Community!

Right now I own a Ricoh GR Kit which is almost complete. I have the Viewfinder + Hood and Filtertube + UV Filter for it. The only thing missing is the Ricoh GW-3 Wideangle Adapter which I planned to purchase next month. I really enjoy the camera and it's handling is really great!

Now i also had the original Q which was the most fun camera i have ever used. I was also very impressed what Pentax could squeeze out of such a small sensor.
I just saw that the Pentax Q7 Complete KIT is also available here and it's reeeaaallyy tempting. I need some time (and maybe some insight from you guys ) to think about it first, but what would you do if you could choose freely between the two?

Complete Ricoh GR Kit or the Pentax Q7 Complete Kit?

I'm looking forward to your opinions
What do you mean by a complete GR kit? As in all of the accessories?

The Q can't really complete with the GR's image quality, and it's not pocketable, though it is more versatile thanks to the interchangeable lens system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. In posing such a question, I think the appropriate answer really depends on what is important to you in your practice of photography. Are you a collector or a photographer? And how would your shots improve by owning a new Q vs. what you already have. I own the original Q and think it is fun and convenient, though the optical output quality to me is pretty average at best. While I'm sure the Q7 is a big step up, if I had to make the choice today I'd go with the GR because of its outstanding handling and output.

If you hang at camera brand agnostic forums, you'll see that the GR is really the only Ricoh/Pentax product (besides the 645D and the new Z) that folks talk about and show off photos from.

M
04-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you mean by a complete GR kit? As in all of the accessories?

The Q can't really complete with the GR's image quality, and it's not pocketable, though it is more versatile thanks to the interchangeable lens system.
Yes all of the accessories if you buy the Ricoh GR + all the Ricoh accessories you get about the same price as the Pentax Q7 Premium Kit (at least in Germany).

(...I actually meant the Premium Kit of the Q7 and not the Complete Kit in my first post but I cant edit it)

04-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Welcome to the forum. In posing such a question, I think the appropriate answer really depends on what is important to you in your practice of photography. Are you a collector or a photographer? And how would your shots improve by owning a new Q vs. what you already have. I own the original Q and think it is fun and convenient, though the optical output quality to me is pretty average at best. While I'm sure the Q7 is a big step up, if I had to make the choice today I'd go with the GR because of its outstanding handling and output.

If you hang at camera brand agnostic forums, you'll see that the GR is really the only Ricoh/Pentax product (besides the 645D and the new Z) that folks talk about and show off photos from.

M
That's really true! Image Quality and Handling of the GR are outstanding. The Q7 would give me that awesome Wideangle zoom and that 2.8 aperture zoom which I could use sometimes at concerts. My other alternative would be to just keep the GR and get a bridgecamera with it
04-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

A little off-topic, but just wondering... Q7 + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 + adapter, for concert coverage. Any thoughts on that setup?
04-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should have both.
The GR is not complete by any mean, because it does not have a tele converter. It has a wide converter, but to get more than 28mm you need to crop. A plain oversight that lack of tele converter, if you ask me. Ricoh better switch to thinking-forward gear and deliver a GR that somehow reaches beyond 28mm in a sensible way.

The Q7 system, on the other hand, has an outstanding 08 wide zoom lens, excellent 01 prime at 40mm, and really good 06 70-210mm equivalent zoom. Plus a 03 fisheye. The GR and Q7 complement beautifully.
04-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You should have both.
The GR is not complete by any mean, because it does not have a tele converter. It has a wide converter, but to get more than 28mm you need to crop. A plain oversight that lack of tele converter, if you ask me. Ricoh better switch to thinking-forward gear and deliver a GR that somehow reaches beyond 28mm in a sensible way.

The Q7 system, on the other hand, has an outstanding 08 wide zoom lens, excellent 01 prime at 40mm, and really good 06 70-210mm equivalent zoom. Plus a 03 fisheye. The GR and Q7 complement beautifully.
Agreed! I plan on getting a GR eventually but I will first be upgrading my much loved Q to the Q7.

04-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been tempted by both of these options for a while now. I recently caved and ordered a Q7 (holding off on the K-3 for a while longer). I'm not sure if I will end up talking myself into a GR (or its successor) eventually or not. I'm at my limit for DSLRs. When I get the K-3 (probably) I will have to get rid of either the K10D or the K-7, perhaps both.
04-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #10

I'd go for Pentax Q7, mostly because of the lenses and the familiar handling (not to be underesrimated).
04-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

People have different criteria for picking A over B or vice versa. I would go for Q.
04-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Q is much more versatile IMO, but GR will have better IQ in the wide angles (obviously)

I am constantly surprised by the quality of my Q images. Its really quite good at what it does. It does not compare to my DSLRs but as I use it more I am happier and happier with it. I definitely plan on upgrading to the Q7 (or the next model) at some point. If I had the 08 zoom and 06 zooms along with my 01 & 03, I wouldn't hesitate to leave the DSLR at home for most stuff I shoot
04-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Which system will depend on what type of shooting that you do. The Q7 if fine for good light shooting, has a variety of lenses and good prints can be made up to 12 by 18. However, if you are doing low light work the GR will be much better.

Dale