Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

How to find out what lens uses what mount?

Hi Guys,
I am fairly new to photography and I am not sure how you would find who uses what mounts. I know about C, D and FD but I see others that I am not sure of such as Nikon using both F and G mounts?

If I want a cheap telephoto lens to mess around with moon shots, and I came up with something like this:

Sigma DL 100-300 mm F/4.5-6.7 DL AF Lens For Nikon

I can't find out how to know what mount it is, and for some reason, most sellers are not aware.
Is there a site with a chart of basic lenses i.e. if Sigma makes a lens that fits Nikon, then it will be X-mount, etc.?

Thanks

04-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here in Pentax-Land, almost everything is K-Mount. Makes it easy.
04-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure there is a simple chart. Lots of info on the web but you might have to go to brand specific sites to find what you want. Since this is a Pentax forum, easy to answer your question re Pentax stuff, but with other brands it gets complicated. Best advice is find out what mount the lens you are looking at has and then research it from there.
04-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

This should be what you're looking for : Lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

04-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nickhodak6 Quote
Hi Guys,
I am fairly new to photography and I am not sure how you would find who uses what mounts. I know about C, D and FD but I see others that I am not sure of such as Nikon using both F and G mounts?

If I want a cheap telephoto lens to mess around with moon shots, and I came up with something like this:

Sigma DL 100-300 mm F/4.5-6.7 DL AF Lens For Nikon

I can't find out how to know what mount it is, and for some reason, most sellers are not aware.
Is there a site with a chart of basic lenses i.e. if Sigma makes a lens that fits Nikon, then it will be X-mount, etc.?

Thanks
All current Sigma lenses for Nikon use the F mount. Canon lenses use the EF (EOS) mount. Pentax lenses use the K-mount (specifically KAF2 or KAF3, but they're all interchangeable).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
here is another list of lens mounts, but honestly, I don't this will help you that much.

Alphabetical List of Camera Mounts

for the Q, you can adapt many, many different brands of lenses. a quick search on ebay or B+H photo for "Pentax q adapter" will show you the possibilities.

do not expect that any of the automatic functions on adapted lenses will work on the Q - adapted lenses will be completely manual. luckily, the Q has focus peaking to help focus manual lenses (you can read up on focus peaking here on the forum or in your Q manual). regarding the Sigma you mention above - there would be little use in buying an auto focus lens only to use on the Q since you will not be able to use those automatic functions. but if it's really cheap, then it doesn't really matter...

I would recommend that you purchase a cheap manual focus lens (with a manual aperture ring) and a cheap adapter at first. the genuine Pentax K to Q adapter is vastly superior to the cheap chinese-made adapters, but it is also much more expensive. best to try it out on the cheap first until you have a good idea of what the adapted lenses can do for your images. if you're shooting the moon, best to look for an adapter with a tripod mount built in - you'll need it!

stick to the more common mounts - Pentax K or M42 (pentax's early screw mount), Nikon F, Canon ES, EOS or FD (their manual focus mount), Leica M or M39 (their early screw mount), Minolta MD, Olympus OM.

hope this helps.

Last edited by emergo; 05-11-2014 at 06:51 PM.
05-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
do not expect that any of the automatic functions on adapted lenses will work on the Q - adapted lenses will be completely manual.
The original Pentax K to Q adapter will give you automatic aperture control,
so you can shoot in Av mode with A type lenses,
or use DA lenses which don't have an aperture ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
best to look for an adapter with a tripod mount built in - you'll need it!
You can always get additional tripod mounts, if the adapter doesn't have one built in.

05-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The original Pentax K to Q adapter will give you automatic aperture control,
so you can shoot in Av mode with A type lenses,
or use DA lenses which don't have an aperture ring.
This is incorrect. There is no aperture control of the lens, other than the ability to hold it at a fixed and different aperture even for DA lenses which do not have a ring.

In effect it is like shooting with M42 lenses, but I have found that you can also shoot TAV mode, by putting the camera in manual, selecting a shutter speed, and also having Auto ISO, which is something you cannot do on a DSLR.

As for tripod mount, you can also get a cannon 100/2.8 macro mount 3rd party ones too, or a sigma 70-200/2.8 mount, and padd the mount with an appropriate thickness leather
05-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This is incorrect. There is no aperture control of the lens other than the ability to hold it at a fixed and different aperture even for DA lenses which do not have a ring.
Ah, yes, I see that the review here speaks about "manual" control of the aperture:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-mount-to-q-adapter/features.html

That was never apparent to me in practice,
as I was using lenses close to or at maximum aperture to avoid diffraction,
and with the way that the live view automatically adjusted its brightness.

---------- Post added 05-12-14 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As for tripod mount, you can also get a cannon 100/2.8 macro mount 3rd party ones too, or a sigma 70-200/2.8 mount, and padd the mount with an appropriate thickness leather
SRB Griturn also has mounts, which can be custom ordered.

Last edited by lytrytyr; 05-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
05-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not look at Canon EOS lenses to adapt, unless you have an EOS camera already. These lenses require power to adjust the aperture. You would have to put the lens on a Canon body and remove it to change apertures.

Newer Nikon lenses have eliminated the aperture ring. A lot of generic adapters don't allow adjusting the aperture with these lenses. Make sure the adapter you get does.

Pentax lenses have also followed this plan. The Pentax oem adapter takes care of this with an aperture ring. Some 3rd party adapters do.

The orphaned lens mounts ( Minolta MC/ MD, Canon FD) will likely give the best lens values.
The Q is great fun with adapted lenses. Enjoy.
thanks
barondla