Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Pentax 110 lens & Lens Baby disks

I recently picked up a Pentax Q which is a much nicer camera than i expected. I have had a lot of fun playing with it but have not had a chance to try it on a nice, sunny day. Too much in the way of clouds and/or rain on my days off lately. My dogs are getting camera shy from me pointing the Q at them all the time.

I have done quite a bit of reading in the Pentax Q forum and am interested in trying some Pentax 110 lenses that I have laying around on the Pentax Q. I picked up a Fotodiox adapter, pulled the old Pentax 110 bag out of the closet and dug out the lenses. I have the 18, 24 & 50 mm lens. As various posts have said, they seem a little soft at f2.8 for my taste. The 18 & 24, especially, could use a way to stop down a f-stop or two.

I read that Lens Baby had a set of aperture disks that would create a smaller aperture to sharpen things up a bit. B&H has them for a reasonable price as well as blanks to make your size.

Now for some questions:

Has anyone used the blanks to make custom aperture disks and if so, what size hole did you drill?

While I am asking questions, are there any suggestions regarding the 110 lenses?

Last edited by bencason; 04-25-2014 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added a question
04-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the 110 lenses, too... and I have exactly the same question. For others who have experimented, what have you found to be the optimum modified aperture for these, the 18 and the 50 in particular... especially if you've adapted these to m4/3! Thanks.
04-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the LB aperture discs with my 110 lenses. The discs friction fit perfectly into the adapter. It takes a much smaller aperture than you might think. If memory serves, I am using the f11 & f16 Lensbaby discs. This closes down the 110 lenses to f4 & f5.6. Have never tried the f22 aperture disc since the equivalent f8 would be getting pretty deep into diffraction territory. It might work fine, just haven't had time to try it. The LB discs do improve the 110 lens quality.

I have made custom ap discs for the Lensbaby, but never for the Q. I don't see any real advantage on the Q/110 lenses. Well, maybe two:
1. You want non round aperture shapes for interesting bokeh.
2. You want 1/2 or 1/3 step aperture discs instead of the full step provided in the Lensbaby kit.

The LB discs are some kind of rubbery plastic that are attracted to magnetsl. I think they would be very hard to drill as precisely as LB does. They most likely stamp theirs.

I have a m4/3 Olympus EPL1, but have never purchased a 110 adapter. Hmm, might have to fix that. It is difficult to get enough time to try every thing.

Just bought new, indate, color film for the Pentax 110. Never thought that would be possible again. Thank you Lomo, thank you so much.

Get those 110 lenses shooting on the Q's.
thanks
barondla.

The Q is fun and a serious tool.

Last edited by barondla; 04-26-2014 at 12:28 PM.
04-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi bencason,

You might have missed GUB's contributions to this subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ml#post2738293

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ml#post2770369

A very ingenious and inexpensive solution IMO! I keep forgetting to go out and get some of these for my 110 lenses. . .

Scott

04-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience & knowledge.

The 110 lens I have did not come with lens hoods. Would adding a hood to these little lens make a improvement to contrast & color? Most of my "test" shots have been inside where I wouldn't expect a hood to help.

My long term plans would be to use them as small, light telephoto lens for birds, squirrels, and other wildlife which where a hood might help.
04-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Yes, a hood will improve image quality. The lens coatings do not match what Pentx has today. The other nice thing about LB ap discs is the reduction of flare inside the adapter. It is like putting fieldstops in.

Enjoy the Q & 110 lenses.
thanks
barondla
04-26-2014, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

On M43, I found the longitudinal position of the stop on the Pentax 110 lens to affect sharpness at the corners.
With help of PF member MysteryOnion I put this sketch of the original Pentax 110 stop positions.
(posted before)
The stop is very close to the lens
I machined the stop of brass. it is tapered to the edges so the stop is sharp (thin as possible on inner diameter)
https://app.box.com/s/b9319930073aad14e911

https://app.box.com/s/8o3thsu0cssjlcbz2jji

Here is a typical photo ( posted before) on M43 showing the edge condition and overall dof
using that stop.
https://app.box.com/s/ekcx42yyv6i1y2vdzok0
04-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi bencason,

You might have missed GUB's contributions to this subject:

A very ingenious and inexpensive solution IMO! I keep forgetting to go out and get some of these for my 110 lenses. . .

Scott
yeah I went the Gub method with clear improvement.
Had to splash out nearly $4 on the reinforcements though so not cheap

04-30-2014, 01:19 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
I recently picked up a Pentax Q which is a much nicer camera than i expected. I have had a lot of fun playing with it but have not had a chance to try it on a nice, sunny day. Too much in the way of clouds and/or rain on my days off lately. My dogs are getting camera shy from me pointing the Q at them all the time.

I have done quite a bit of reading in the Pentax Q forum and am interested in trying some Pentax 110 lenses that I have laying around on the Pentax Q. I picked up a Fotodiox adapter, pulled the old Pentax 110 bag out of the closet and dug out the lenses. I have the 18, 24 & 50 mm lens. As various posts have said, they seem a little soft at f2.8 for my taste. The 18 & 24, especially, could use a way to stop down a f-stop or two.

I read that Lens Baby had a set of aperture disks that would create a smaller aperture to sharpen things up a bit. B&H has them for a reasonable price as well as blanks to make your size.

Now for some questions:

Has anyone used the blanks to make custom aperture disks and if so, what size hole did you drill?

While I am asking questions, are there any suggestions regarding the 110 lenses?
The rear element of all the 110s is 9mm diameter. So if that is f2.8 then f4 will be just over 6mm (9mm squared, divided by 2 and square root) , f5.6 will be the square root of 20 => 4.5mm and f8 the square root of 10 => 3.2mm.
This is so long as it is near to the lens, which is where it should be.
04-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for taking time to provide these guidelines, Pentaxians.