Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #1

Trouble with Stabilization & Firmware

I've been lurking here for a good year or two reading about the many wonderful antique lenses that I use on my K1000 or Micro Four Thirds camera. Well, why not get awesome macro and telephoto using the same lenses, on a Q!

So, a buy a virtually new Q for $100 after an eBay coupon. Then I realize a few things: if I don't buy a native lens, I can't use anything longer than a 2" shutter, I can't use scene modes, I can't use blur control. Boo, Pentax. I have no intention of buying one because my Pentax M 50mm f1.7 or better yet 135mm f3.5 will beat every single Q lens in terms of macro, telephoto, and build-quality.

Ignoring those disappointments, I need to know how to turn on the Shake Reduction so I can set it to the focal length for my various adapted lenses. The camera simply doesn't let me and the menu won't let me go to that option. I did some reading and can't find anyone with this issue. I thought maybe updating the firmware would help, but, how do you update the firmware? I have it on the sd but when I highlight or go to Firmware Version Info, no matter what button I press, I have no option to update the firmware. I've tried two different SD cards formatting them using the Q. The option isn't even there. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a native lens to do all this.

On a less important note, if I want noise reduction off, do I put it on Low or Auto? Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-02-14 at 11:35 PM ----------

I found it! The problem was installing the update and I was finally able to get it. It was a format problem with with my computer. Annnd......after doing that it let me set the focal length. Yess!

---------- Post added 05-02-14 at 11:40 PM ----------

So, I guess all I need to do now is find a quick tutorial about if I should leave the NR on Auto or Low; and whether or not the highlight correction and shadow correction should be on or off. From experience, things like that are usually left off

05-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tjdean01 Quote
I've been lurking here for a good year or two reading about the many wonderful antique lenses that I use on my K1000 or Micro Four Thirds camera. Well, why not get awesome macro and telephoto using the same lenses, on a Q!

So, a buy a virtually new Q for $100 after an eBay coupon. Then I realize a few things: if I don't buy a native lens, I can't use anything longer than a 2" shutter, I can't use scene modes, I can't use blur control. Boo, Pentax. I have no intention of buying one because my Pentax M 50mm f1.7 or better yet 135mm f3.5 will beat every single Q lens in terms of macro, telephoto, and build-quality.

Ignoring those disappointments, I need to know how to turn on the Shake Reduction so I can set it to the focal length for my various adapted lenses. The camera simply doesn't let me and the menu won't let me go to that option. I did some reading and can't find anyone with this issue. I thought maybe updating the firmware would help, but, how do you update the firmware? I have it on the sd but when I highlight or go to Firmware Version Info, no matter what button I press, I have no option to update the firmware. I've tried two different SD cards formatting them using the Q. The option isn't even there. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a native lens to do all this.

On a less important note, if I want noise reduction off, do I put it on Low or Auto? Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-02-14 at 11:35 PM ----------

I found it! The problem was installing the update and I was finally able to get it. It was a format problem with with my computer. Annnd......after doing that it let me set the focal length. Yess!

---------- Post added 05-02-14 at 11:40 PM ----------

So, I guess all I need to do now is find a quick tutorial about if I should leave the NR on Auto or Low; and whether or not the highlight correction and shadow correction should be on or off. From experience, things like that are usually left off
QuoteOriginally posted by tjdean01 Quote
If you're mostly a JPEG shooter then I'd set NR to auto and use shadow/highlight correction as needed. If you shoot raw, leave the ISO at 125 for the best possible image quality, and you can fiddle with shadows and highlights during development.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're willing to shell out the money for the Pentax Q to K adapter with the built in shutter, then I believe you can use longer shutter speeds with K mount lenses. I don't actually have a Q yet, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
05-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you turn the Q on without a Q lens mounted it should ask for the focal length. Mine does anyway

Is the firmware in the correct spot on the SD card, in the root? (not inside any folders). Is it also definitely the correct firmware? For the Q and not Q7?

05-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi, guys, thanks for the replies. I have my answers. My Q was the very first model with firmware 1.0. It didn't update for a few reasons that I solved in order: the sd card needs to be clear > sd card needs to be formatted IN CAMERA before plugging into Windows to add the software update > the software updates, even when downloaded from Pentax.com, need to have the *.exe file clicked on and "unzipped" before placing that resulting file on the sd card. RESULTS: Stabilization now works and it does ask me what lens I'm using when I turn the camera on. Slow shutter and the other things I mentioned I'll have to live without.

RESULTS WITH KONICA HEXANON LENSES: I'll probably write more info on this in other places as time goes on, but since this is really all I have to contribute--and it isn't much, I'll write it here too. All my Hexanon lenses which are very sharp, contrasty lenses on Micro Four Thirds--40/1.8, 50/1.7, 55/3.5 macro, 135/3.2, 200/4--perform poorly on the Q. Sharpness seems to be there. Contrast does not.

I don't know what I'm going to do about this because buying Q glass defeats the purpose of what I was trying to do. What I wanted to do I pretty much still can do: throw the Q in my bag with say, a 135mm lens (while out shooting with my other camera for general purposes) and when I need macro or super tele, pull out the Q. The Q body itself is smaller than most of the lenses I just mentioned anyway. I just need to do more reading to find out which lenses actually give me good color I picked Hexanon because I have the most of them, but I have more older lenses as well.