Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q extension tubes

Metal Copper Mount Electronic AF Auto Focus Macro Extension Ring Tube For PentaxQ Pentax Q Q7 Q10 PR030-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com

Has anyone tried these chinese AF Q tubes?

05-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have not, good find though! Who is gonna jump first?
05-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I have not, good find though! Who is gonna jump first?
I am happy using manual adapted lens and a helicoid extension tube.
So you go first
05-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Good to see some third-party support for the Q.

05-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That was a bit expensive though.
05-06-2014, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Want to save a few bucks? look here:Aluminium Alloy Mount Electronic AF Auto Focus Macro Extension Ring Tube For PentaxQ Pentax Q Q7 Q10 PR031-in Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com
05-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

This is great news! Finally some useful third party Q support. Extension tubes are what I have been looking for. Exciting.

I have some questions though.

1. Copper vs aluminum. Does this mean the extension tube body? Either metal should hold up well with the ultra light Q lenses shouldn't it? Am I missing something?

2. There are 3 tubes shown at approx. 10, 16, and 21mm. Are all 3 included in the $90 price?

3. They list some payment options, and I am only familar with bank transfer. Do they take credit card or paypal? Are they available thru Amazon or Ebay store?

I want these tubes if I am smart enough to order them.

thanks
barondla

Big thanks to GUB and Heinrich Lohmann.
05-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Couldn't find them on ebay

If they are legit (aliexpress is not always!) they should show up elsewhere soon.

05-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This is great news! Finally some useful third party Q support. Extension tubes are what I have been looking for. Exciting.

1. Copper vs aluminum. Does this mean the extension tube body? Either metal should hold up well with the ultra light Q lenses shouldn't it? Am I missing something?

2. There are 3 tubes shown at approx. 10, 16, and 21mm. Are all 3 included in the $90 price?

3. They list some payment options, and I am only familar with bank transfer. Do they take credit card or paypal? Are they available thru Amazon or Ebay store?

thanks
barondla

They take pay pal
I have used them several times and only once had trouble and it was with a trader with no listed sales/feedback. I should have known better coz it was for a branded item (pentax) and the price was too good to be true.
Aliexpress itself stepped in and kicked the rogue traders butt.
The site should be treated as genuine and a credible evolving force. And enormous even now.
But stay aware.

The only thing that concerns me is their instruction which include setting to manual focus.
Is what they say consistent with the claim of an AF tube?
05-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Somebody buy this! I really want to know how they work out

Last edited by geomez; 05-06-2014 at 11:50 PM.
05-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I feel like the Q will have excellent possibilities as a macro camera, given its inherent massive depth of field.

These tubes paired with the upcoming macro lens could be super hot.
05-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
..... should be treated as genuine and a credible evolving force. And enormous even now.
But stay aware......
sounds like me in my younger days
05-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have used them several times and only once had trouble and it was with a trader with no listed sales/feedback. I should have known better coz it was for a branded item (pentax) and the price was too good to be true.
Aliexpress itself stepped in and kicked the rogue traders butt.
I made one purchase from AliExpress... It was a new lens that was full of grease. As in, literally running out of the front, back, and sides. It was also running across the elements inside the lens. I was able to send it back for a refund, but only after calling the Chinese seller and arguing with her for an hour. She could not understand why grease dribbling out everywhere would be a problem. The refund took a couple of months to show up. So I'm a bit reluctant to buy from them again.
05-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

thanks
barondla

This is how I read it:

The mounts are metal, alu or copper and the body is plastic.

All three tubes are included in the price.
05-07-2014, 06:41 AM   #15

Working distance

It appears to me that the working distance involved in going higher than 1:1 on, say, the 8.5mm 01 lens would become vanishingly small. This would render all but the shortest tube useless without the ability to reverse the lens. Even that would cause problems as the working distance will be the same as the Q register distance, not very convenient for handholding.

The more I think about this, the more obvious it becomes that for serious macro better than 1:1 the K to Q adapter and a regular macro set-up would be the way I'd go.

I don't think that the manufacturers have given the product much thought, but have continued with the old standard extension tube sizes. Caveat Emptor