Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #1

03 lens doesn't have MF autozoom on Q7?

I remember it was working on Q, but on Q7 nothing happens when I turn the ring. All of my other lenses work just fine with MF autozoom. May it's a defective lens? It's still under warranty and I can send it beck to Pentax. I'm running firware ver. 1.01 on Q7

05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome.
Are you talking about the fisheye lens? Its a fixed focal length (also called Prime), it has no zoom. Zoom is when you can change the field of view of the lens, making its angle wider or longer.
Or are you talking about the focusing? MF usually refers to "manual focus" - as opposed to AF, autofocus. Focus decides which distance from the photographer will be "sharp" (in focus). The fisheye is pretty special in this regards, because it has a big depth of focus (DoF, the width of the area that is in focus. It depends on the focus, aperture, and lens focal length). This is why the fisheye only has the focus options of near and far instead of a distance scale. Its a manual focus lens, it doesn't allow AF. But since its DoF is so wide, you probably don't need AF anyway.
05-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome.
Are you talking about the fisheye lens? Its a fixed focal length (also called Prime), it has no zoom. Zoom is when you can change the field of view of the lens, making its angle wider or longer.
Or are you talking about the focusing? MF usually refers to "manual focus" - as opposed to AF, autofocus. Focus decides which distance from the photographer will be "sharp" (in focus). The fisheye is pretty special in this regards, because it has a big depth of focus (DoF, the width of the area that is in focus. It depends on the focus, aperture, and lens focal length). This is why the fisheye only has the focus options of near and far instead of a distance scale. Its a manual focus lens, it doesn't allow AF. But since its DoF is so wide, you probably don't need AF anyway.
I'm talking about MF autozoom. It' when you turn the focus ring, it zooms the area in the center by 2x, 4x, or 6x. With 03 lens it doesn't do that for some reason on Q7, but it was doing it on Q. I don't have Q anymore, so I can't check.
05-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yugi Quote
I'm talking about MF autozoom. It' when you turn the focus ring, it zooms the area in the middle by 2x, 4x, or 6x. With 03 lens it doesn't do that for some reason on Q7, but it was doing it on Q.
I've always pushed the OK button on the original Q to get my set 6x zoom for focusing the 03 fisheye.

---------- Post added 05-11-14 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
the fisheye only has the focus options of near and far instead of a distance scale.
It has a continuous manual focus range from beyond infinity all the way down to 9cm.

05-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by yugi Quote
I remember it was working on Q, but on Q7 nothing happens when I turn the ring. All of my other lenses work just fine with MF autozoom. May it's a defective lens? It's still under warranty and I can send it beck to Pentax. I'm running firware ver. 1.01 on Q7
Maybe you need to enable this option first in the menu? I need to do this when I want the 2x or 4x help for manual focusing with my original Q & 01 lens.
05-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No auto zoom on the toy lenses, only the AF ones.
Q or Q7 is same behavior.
Your recall is incorrect, sorry.
05-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I've always pushed the OK button on the original Q to get my set 6x zoom for focusing the 03 fisheye.
Yes, it did the trick! I forgot to press OK button. Thank you.
05-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
No auto zoom on the toy lenses, only the AF ones.
Q or Q7 is same behavior.
Your recall is incorrect, sorry.
Correct, OK button is the go for the 03

05-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just snagged a Q7 earlier this morning. While it's in shipment, can anyone answer if the 03 Fisheye lens covers the full image circle for the Q7? I'm guessing mild vignetting but I'd love to hear from some of you with first hand experience!
05-12-2014, 05:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I just snagged a Q7 earlier this morning. While it's in shipment, can anyone answer if the 03 Fisheye lens covers the full image circle for the Q7? I'm guessing mild vignetting but I'd love to hear from some of you with first hand experience!
I doesn't cover full sensor, thus it's cropped. But goes wider than on Q (173 vs 160 degrees). It's one of my favorite Q lenses together with 01, 06 and 07.
05-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Q7 autocrops for you when it detects the 03

The RAW will contain the full data, but the RAW preview/profile corrections will be cropped already for you
05-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
The Q7 autocrops for you when it detects the 03

The RAW will contain the full data, but the RAW preview/profile corrections will be cropped already for you
Didn't someone here on the forum write a script to remove the cropping info from the file? It was written in Python I believe.