Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2014, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Q 04 Toy Lens Wide: DIY Filter Ring

You may be interested in attaching a filter ring--in order to attach filters, hood, and (regular) lens cap. Removed the glass from a 30.5 mm filter and attached the ring w/ gaffer's tape.
Using gray tape it almost looks like it came this way! (And even more so if I had been really careful cutting the tape.)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by dms; 05-15-2014 at 12:46 PM.
05-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Great idea for adding filter capability to the 04 wideangle. What filters have you tried? I have a pola and IR filters. should be interesting. Have fun with your Q!
thanks for sharing
barondla
05-15-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did it to (1) add a PL filter, and (2) add a hood. The Q's DR is limited, and cityscapes with proper street exposure have overexposed blue sky--thus the real/pressing need for adding filter.
10-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

plus the 04 wide has an excessively long lens cap that comes with it so it adds a 0.9mm onto the width of the camera with the lens cap. For lomography, you want to be FAST so you don't really want a lens cap per se. Am thinking since the toy lenses are plastic, it makes good sense to cover them with a piece of glass and forgo the lens cap.

10-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am pretty sure the toy lenses are glass--just may not be multi-coated. In any event adding filter (w/o clear overall advantage) will cause needless additional flare.

I find the 04 lens to be quite good and setting the focus/taped at roughly the hyperfocal distance most convenient. I use it most of the time--over the 01 and 02 lens.
10-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I am pretty sure the toy lenses are glass--just may not be multi-coated. In any event adding filter (w/o clear overall advantage) will cause needless additional flare.

I find the 04 lens to be quite good and setting the focus/taped at roughly the hyperfocal distance most convenient. I use it most of the time--over the 01 and 02 lens.
what do you use for a lens cap? I noticed the one that comes with it is excessively long and takes up another centimeter. I guess I could trim it.
10-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
dms
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Look above (my thread)--you will see my Q w/ the 04 lens, and a 30.5 mm filter ring (w/glass removed) taped to the lens, and a standard lens cap (the lens cap says 30 mm inside--although I thought it was 30.5 mm also). This allows you to add a filter when desired.
I have used it for over a year, very robust (it is in my jacket pocket or backpack almost every day w/o padding), although the lens cap has gotten pushed on to the point I had to pry it off a few times.