Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

macro lens filters

I just learned about macro lens filters (diopters) and wanted to get some for my k500 and then thought, why not also for the Q? The 06 lens could take the diopters and do better with the macro shooting I would imagine. I have not seen it discussed on here so am curious if anyone has tried them?

I am thinking of this Kodak set: http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-40-5mm-Pro-Macro-Photography/dp/B00I2VQCME/ref=s...y+Kit+Includes

05-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You get what you pay for. At $15 for a set of four, you will see why they are so cheap. Hold a magnifying glass from the dollar store in front of your lens and it will do exactly the same thing. If that's the look you want, then yes, those filters would be more convenient.

The only diopter that has marginally acceptable image quality IMO is made by Canon and costs roughly $200. The one I have is 77mm - I don't know if they come in small enough sizes to fit the Q lenses. There are two far better options (short of buying a macro lens): extension tubes or a lens reversal ring. If you really want to try out macro without spending much, either of those options would give much better results than any diopter out there. I'm thinking of your K500 - these may not even be available (yet) for the Q...

Last edited by OregonJim; 05-18-2014 at 06:02 PM.
05-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Get a 40.5 to 49mm step up ring, then you can use any of the standard ones. I have a set of Hoya diopters that I bought for $10.00 at
a show, they are very good.
I also made up a wide adapter from an old lens element that give around .4 not quite fisheye but near a 20mm equivalent
Also have a 49mm doubler, some noname brand. Gives excellent results.
All of these on the 01 prime lens, no light loss and auto focus !
If you start playing with tubes you will loose the auto focus and a lot of light.
05-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Mechanical issues + achromatic type macro lens

I would be a bit careful to hang too much mass in front of one of the tiny Q lenses. Especially the 06 which extends from its storage position can't be too strong. I was in contact with a Pentax Q user on the dp review forum who has wrecked his 06 by mounting a front - teleconverter to it. I would avoid bigger diameter macro lenses an stick to 40,5 to 49mm.

Macro lenses: The cheap single lenses deliver images that deteriorate outside of the middle of the image unless the macro lens happens to fit perfectly to the camera lens (unlikely).
Much better: Achromatic macro lenses which are made by glueing two lenses together. I know of the following makers: Nikon, Canon, Minolta and Sigma. Probably there are/were some more. Sigma made special achromatic marco lenses for some of their lenses. Sometimes you can get an old zoom with such a lens of next to nothing. I had a 35mm frame enlarged to 20 x 30 inch that was exposed with a weak Minolta achromatic lenson a good camera lens. Perfect image quality.
What to look for: If you just want to get closer to the subject than minimum focal range allows and maintain a good image quality you should look for macro lenses of 1 dpt (Focal length 1000mm) to 2 dpt (Focal lenght 500mm. Stronger lenses allow more magnification but introduce more errors.