Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-26-2014, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
Thanks Pinholecam.

I've actually been through all of your threads. I just sailed from Singapore and have spent a fair bit of time there, though I live in Canada. I recognized a number of areas in your shots.

Years ago I bought a Samsung that was the exact same as the Pentax K10D. $1000. Beautiful camera. Never used it! It was just too big so I'd never travel with it!

I've wanted a 4/3's style for a while now but the price always kept me out. The Q really speaks to me with its even smaller size.

I went for the Q10 because at the end of the day "you aren't buying a camera, you are buying a lens system". Getting the 02 & the 06 right off the hop is a good start I think and I'll be going for some of the cheaper toys soon enough. Once the next gen model comes out and the Q7's are on clearance I'll change up the body. But for now I think I'll be happy with the 10.

Any recommendations on a good lens size for one of these supertelephoto rigs?

S.

05-26-2014, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharp21 Quote

S.
A good start would be a generic K2Q adapter about $20 ebay and a SMC-M 135 f3.5 about $50 or less here in the market place or ebay. That would get you a 750 mm equiv. lens that is small and is known to work well with the Q. I have lately almost exclusively been using my SMC F 80-200 zoom that I found for under $30 it plays really well on my Q's with IQ equiv to my M 135. The F Zoom is a light lens with an internal zoom so it isn't too large or heavy on the Q and because it is a later design it has less CA than the 135 and gets you up to 440mm to 1100mm zoom. I find I can hand hold both lenses with practice.
05-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
A good start would be a generic K2Q adapter about $20 ebay ...
That would be a start. Just don't start comparing those to the (much more expensive) Pentax variant, because as soon as you do you will want it instead.
05-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #19

Original Poster
Great recommendation, exactly what I was looking for.

Very excited for the new camera! Seems like a cost effective way of getting the shots I want.

S.

05-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great recommendation, exactly what I was looking for.

Very excited for the new camera! Seems like a cost effective way of getting the shots I want.

S.
The generic adapters are fine but get one with the aperture adjustment in case you have some DA lenses to use in the future.
05-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Pinholecam.

I've actually been through all of your threads. I just sailed from Singapore and have spent a fair bit of time there, though I live in Canada. I recognized a number of areas in your shots.

Years ago I bought a Samsung that was the exact same as the Pentax K10D. $1000. Beautiful camera. Never used it! It was just too big so I'd never travel with it!

I've wanted a 4/3's style for a while now but the price always kept me out. The Q really speaks to me with its even smaller size.

I went for the Q10 because at the end of the day "you aren't buying a camera, you are buying a lens system". Getting the 02 & the 06 right off the hop is a good start I think and I'll be going for some of the cheaper toys soon enough. Once the next gen model comes out and the Q7's are on clearance I'll change up the body. But for now I think I'll be happy with the 10.

S.

Oh! you were in Singapore, cool.
Its pretty hot and humid here for the past month.
Hope you had a good time here.

Yes, the Q is a system, so no hurry to jump into Q7.
The Q10 body almost goes for free with a lens bundle purchase too and the lenses carry on to the next body.

There are 2 key differences for me between OEM and 3rd party PK>Q adapter
1. Flash sync 1/250 - makes a big difference for daytime macro with flash. One is stuck with 1/15 flash sync speed for the 3rd party one.
2. Rolling shutter effect, esp for very long teles - can be a problem with 300mm lenses and trying to pan or track a subject (for stuff that move less, its ok)

I was not satisfied with any of the fast Pentax 135mm I had on the Q.
Too much purple fringing.

As a guide, I suggest a lens with very high center resolution (the edges don't matter since the Q does not make use of it)
Just go to a len review site like Photozone and look at the lens resolutions and select the one that is in the right price range and focal length.
I'd suggest a 100/2.8 macro for both long reach and super macro opportunities at one go.
06-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #22

This is a very interesting post for me as I've been seeing Q10 body only for as little as £90 available in the UK, or a new body + 02 lens kit for about £170, and have been really tempted to get one.

The thing is, for the past few months I'd been setting myself up for getting a m43 camera, but have not been in a rush to spend the money. I had even limited my choice to 3-4 cameras in the £400-600 range. But after seeing how cheap the Q10s have become I'm really tempted to pick one of them up for a bit of fun, and wait a bit before buying a more expensive m43 camera..
I am a bit concerned that I might be a bit disappointed with a few things about the Q10, namely the slow startup times, and more importantly the image quality when compared with the Q7. I worry that I will keep comparing the two, but considering the price difference, and the fact that I would only be using it for fun and get me back into taking pictures which I have stopped doing for a while, then it may not be that important, and if I really do fall in love with the Q system, then I could always upgrade later..

Have you made a decision on which one you're going with??

06-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Q forum whatuser. The more you read this forum, the more you want a Q! Doesn't matter which Q. Just pick one. You will buy more later.

My 4/3 and m4/3 cameras mostly sit. The Q is one of my most used cameras. From camera that is always with you, to telemonster, to fisheye lens, the Q is ready and fun.
thanks
barondla
06-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
The quality of the early Qs is more than sufficient to meet the needs of the majority of photographers. Have a look at the Q pictures on this Forum; they are outstanding. It is when one photographs in conditions that push the limits of the equipment, that one sees the advantages of more expensive equipment.
I would agree with this. I have the original Q as well as a couple of Pentax K-x DSLRs. I use the Q a lot, and it holds it's own very well, as long as you keep the ISO down. Plus, the audio quality on the original Q is the best of the bunch. It's stereo, with a very wide frequency response and excellent automatic gain control. The audio is as good as my Zoom digital field recorder. It's awesome for taking video of live music events:

(please excuse the shameless plug for my band in the 2nd vid.) :P

Another thing about the original Q is the crop factor is a bit more than the Q7, so you get a bit more telephoto "bang for your buck", if shooting tele is your thing. In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of the Q.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 06-20-2014 at 06:27 AM.
06-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
A good start would be a generic K2Q adapter about $20 ebay and a SMC-M 135 f3.5 about $50 or less here in the market place or ebay. That would get you a 750 mm equiv. lens that is small and is known to work well with the Q.
Great suggestion! I have the same rig & it works quite well. 750mm equivalent about as long as I'd want to go with handheld shots, though. I might also add that the Leica M39 mount Industar 61 55mm f/2.8 lens is a superb little 308mm equivalent tele on the Q. It has zero fringing, even wide open. Stopped down a little, it's nice and sharp. It's tiny, and looks at home on the Q:

06-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #26

I wish I could find an original Q at the same price as the Q10, the metal body does make quite a difference.. Oh well, I think I'll pick one up regardless and play around with it. Now just gotta decide on the color
06-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #27
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whatuser Quote
I wish I could find an original Q at the same price as the Q10, the metal body does make quite a difference.. Oh well, I think I'll pick one up regardless and play around with it. Now just gotta decide on the color
There are plenty on the PF Marketplace at reasonable prices - link is an example. That is where I got mine.
06-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by whatuser Quote
I just found the original Q body only (new) on Amazon from a reputable seller (I think they had over 20k positive feedback) for $115 shipped.
I ordered one yesterday because I too want that metal body. I have the Q10, but it's soo light, I need a little weight in my hands. Looks like the Q10 will be a surprise gift to the wife with my 02 lens
Pentax Q 12.4 MP CMOS Digital Camera Body (Black):Amazon:Camera & Photo
06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #29

Nice Nick,
I bought one from one of the users on the UK Pentax users group. Now comes the agony of waiting for delivery.
06-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At $195 with the 02 I bought them and gave them away as gifts. I've kept one Q, my wife uses hers almost daily and I carry a Q7 that I bought here almost brand new in my briefcase.

I actually prefer the Q and take it for walks regularly. It's the camera that caused my son's father-in-law to exclaim, "Is that an interchangeable lens camera?"