Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

New Q10 or Q7

Hi Gang,

I've wanted a small changeable lens camera for years but was always priced out with the 4/3's. I'm no pro, just an enthusiastic amateur. My birthday is coming up so I thought I'd take another look and I discovered the Q series. Perfect!

I can buy a NIB used Q10 locally for $200. The Q7 from the store is $450 (Canadian). I'm leaning towards the Q10 then adding an additional lens but I wanted to see what the pro's here think.

And if somebody knows where to get a Q7 cheaper I'm all ears!

S.

05-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharp21 Quote
Hi Gang,

I've wanted a small changeable lens camera for years but was always priced out with the 4/3's. I'm no pro, just an enthusiastic amateur. My birthday is coming up so I thought I'd take another look and I discovered the Q series. Perfect!

I can buy a NIB used Q10 locally for $200. The Q7 from the store is $450 (Canadian). I'm leaning towards the Q10 then adding an additional lens but I wanted to see what the pro's here think.

And if somebody knows where to get a Q7 cheaper I'm all ears!

S.
The Q7 has a larger sensor, better image quality, and several performance improvements; the Q10 is pretty much the original Q in a different body. So I'd recommend the Q7

Here's our Q7 review, I hope it helps make the decision easier:
Pentax Q7 Review - Introduction - Pentax Camera Forums

The Q7 is $376 in the US ($396 with lens), I'd recommend checking how much international shipping is at B&H:
Pentax Q7 Cameras | B&H Photo Video

If it's going to Canada it may be cheaper, plus there's no tax.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't overlook the original Q - they can be had off PF Marketplace for a very reasonable price, and most of them have had very few clicks.

The original Q is a very well built camera - quality from end to end - worth thinking about. I enjoy mine
05-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep, if they'd have not altered the shape and kept the magnesium alloy body, I might have upgraded to the Q7, as it is I'll keep the original Q.

05-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Q10 at half the price of the Q7. (Pertinent information: I do not own the Q7). I do own the Q and Q10.

However, these are my secondary cams. For me personally, I have gotten too used to the features of my K cams to rely solely on the Q series for my photographic desires... two control dials, optical viewfinder, more direct controls, higher dynamic range, more responsive operation, etc.

I only say this since you imply that the Q will be your only camera. It is lovely and I'll keep mine, but if I have the choice (space, time...) I'll use my K-5II every time.

Just another opinion... You do what you want with no apologies!
05-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Id go for the Q7 due to the improved image quality, but its up to you whether you think its worth the extra $$!
05-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #7

if it's your only camera and you'll keep it for a while, it must be the greatly improved q7.
Yes it's more expensive, but it is noticeably better.
J

05-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The quality of the early Qs is more than sufficient to meet the needs of the majority of photographers. Have a look at the Q pictures on this Forum; they are outstanding. It is when one photographs in conditions that push the limits of the equipment, that one sees the advantages of more expensive equipment.
05-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I like the original Q as well, have 3 of them in fact.
You can often get great deals on eBay and PF with lenses etc., might be worth a look.
My wote go to the Original Q, just can't beat a magnesium body.
05-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Comp my Q to my Q7... It's Q7, hands down.

Cheers... M
05-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
Wow, great feedback!

Thing about the Q10 is that they are on clearance at Target right now for $200, or locally with both lenses for $400.

I have no issues being a generation behind.

The other camera I'm considering in the PM-2 as it can be had now for $400 with 2 lenses as well. The reviews I've read say the sensor is better but the user experience is worse.

Ive noticed the passion from the Pentax users as well. Seems like it's a joy to use plus the toy lenses aren't too spendy, whereas the M4/3 lenses are pricey.

S.
05-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharp21, you can't go wrong with any of the Q. Go ahead and get the Q10. This will get you started. You can always add another Q, maybe the 7 later. The important thing is to start the fun.

Love my original Q. Will likely add the model after the Q7, when it is announced. The Q7 has better image quality but the Q/Q10 have a greater crop factor. This gives a little more reach with big tele lenses. Tele reach is one of my main uses of the Q. Doubt Pentax will ever go back to the smaller size sensor. Don't miss the chance.

The Pana will not be as nice to shoot nor as compact with tele lenses. The Q value also shnes thru with super inexpensive lenses like the 03 fisheye. Watch the bunty3000 review.
thanks
barondla
05-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I debated the same question a few months ago between the original Q and the Q7. This was just before the Q was priced to clear out all inventory. I found a used Q with the 01 lens. The 01 lens by itself was not readily offered. If it was, either new or used, it was very expensive. I purchased this bundle and then the blow out pricing began. That's when I got another Q but this time with the 02 lens. I sold the first used Q and this resulting in the 01 prime costing me around $50.

I have been very happy with my Q. The IQ in bright light situations is excellent although I had to admit that as a RAW shooter I do need to pump up some of the settings like contrast, saturation, etc. I'm sure the camera's JPG engine will take care of this for you. Sample images, both good and bad, from the Q/Q10 and Q7 abound on the web. Take a look and zoom in at 100%. That's where you will see the differences. Also, the field of view will be different since the Q7 has a larger sensor.

I think I will skip out on the Q7 and wait for the next generation. Hopefully the IQ will be even better! Or, maybe the camera will have an EVF. Hey, we can all dream, right? For now I will continue saving up for extra Q lenses. That's where the value for me lies.
05-24-2014, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
Just pulled the trigger on the Q10 in Red with 2 lenses! $400 for the works.

I figure I can add some of the other lenses and get to know this one, then I'll get the Q7 body when they start clearing those out. I'm a Previous Generation guy.

S.
05-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Congrats on your Q10.

Looks like I am too late to this thread....

I have sort of reviewed all of them on a personal basis.
Real world use to actually take photos and not some boring "How my Q gets beaten up by a larger sensor camera" type spec sheet review.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/194467-pentax-q-real-world-u...x+q+real+world
Pentax Q10 - a quick review
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/233063-tokyo-story-pentax-q7...ld-review.html

Personally, I recommend a Q7.
Much better than the Q or Q10 (no real diff between those too in performance)
Better AF speed, better sensor, a better compromise of the crop factor for most stuff.
More useful features like good shutter release options, more options on filters and stuff to put on the quick dial.

As the only camera, it is certainly very capable so long as you don't need the highest IQ for very large prints or pixel peep.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/256302-pentax-outing-more-q-...q7+impressions