Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax q lens correction in RAW files

Hi all,

A small question (a quick search with google didn't resolve it): do the RAW files from the Q already include the lens aberration corrections? Or do I need to do something in Silkypix (or other software) to perform the correction?

Thanks!
Thomas

05-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dijker_t Quote
Hi all,

A small question (a quick search with google didn't resolve it): do the RAW files from the Q already include the lens aberration corrections? Or do I need to do something in Silkypix (or other software) to perform the correction?

Thanks!
Thomas
The corrections need to be carried out by your raw converter or after the image has been developed. They're only applied automatically in JPEG mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The corrections need to be carried out by your raw converter or after the image has been developed. They're only applied automatically in JPEG mode.
Thanks! I have now been searching for a while for information on how to carry out the lens corrections in the Silkypix version that came with my Pentax Q. There is the lens aberration menu in Silkypix where I can set all kinds of paramters, but I was hoping for some automation (lens profiles for Silkypix that, I expected, would recognize the used lens). I have not found anything. I downloaded a trial version of Lightroom 5, and there I do find lens profiles. But I would prefer to use Silkypix to be closer to what the Pentax Q does with its own software.

Does anyone know if there are lens profiles for the Pentax Q Silkypix version, and how to use these.

Any answer is much appreciated!
Thomas
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Give LR a good trial. It will include "embedded" profiles (as well as Adobe Standard) to apply the Pentax look. If nothing else, the noise reduction will give you an advantage over the Silkypix platform, and LR gives you a more-comprehensive array of options to not only get the look you want, but provide you with organizational features as you build your catalog. The secret to getting higher quality images out of the Q cameras is to pump up sharpening - to around 65 on the Q/Q10. Probably a little less is needed on the Q7.

06-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Sharpening in camera ain't going to make any difference when he's shooting RAW.
06-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Sharpening in camera ain't going to make any difference when he's shooting RAW.
ScooterMaxi Jim was talking about sharpening in LightRoom, not sharpening in camera.
06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Is there any way to extract the embedded profiles from LR? I'm using rawtherapee - and it's been good with lenses that do not need correction (M lenses on K-5) but some correction would be nice on the Q/01. Rawtherapee does use the sasme .lcp profiles as LR - if anyone has one extracted?
06-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
ScooterMaxi Jim was talking about sharpening in LightRoom, not sharpening in camera.
Are you sure?
His words were:
>>The secret to getting higher quality images out of the Q cameras is to pump up sharpening - to around 65 on the Q/Q10. Probably a little less is needed on the Q7.<<

I didn't read :
>>The secret to getting higher quality images out of the Q cameras is to pump up sharpening in Lightroom - to around 65 on the Q/Q10. Probably a little less is needed on the Q7.<<

Open to interpretation maybe, but perhaps ScooterMaxi Jim should be the one to clear up his meaning

06-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Sorry, I was assuming folks were pretty familiar with LR, so I was less than clear. Steve is right to question.

LR v.5 has a default sharpening setting of 25 which is a pretty good starting point for most Pentax sensors (a bit high for low ISO, a bit low for high ISO where you would want to add in some noise reduction). For whatever reason - possibly due to pixel density - RAW images from the Q (I have the original) tend to be especially soft in LR at default 25 setting. At low ISO, you can dial in 65 and you will not oversharpen the image. This pretty much works with any lens - adapted or otherwise. Keep in mind that I only have an 02 and 03, so not sharpies like some others (01, 06). However, I have some very high quality adapted lenses that are far sharper than the 02 and 03, and they all benefit from a similar amount of sharpening.
06-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Are you sure?
His words were:
>>The secret to getting higher quality images out of the Q cameras is to pump up sharpening - to around 65 on the Q/Q10. Probably a little less is needed on the Q7.<<

I didn't read :
>>The secret to getting higher quality images out of the Q cameras is to pump up sharpening in Lightroom - to around 65 on the Q/Q10. Probably a little less is needed on the Q7.<<

Open to interpretation maybe, but perhaps ScooterMaxi Jim should be the one to clear up his meaning
Well, you're correct that his wording of those sentences wasn't clear. What I found confusing about the wording was his use of the word "on" rather than the word "with" when referring to the camera models. If he had used the word "with," or, better yet, the phrase, "with images from," I think that would have cleared up any ambiguity.

I was sure, though, for three reasons:
One was the very thing you mentioned. It wouldn't make sense to talk about sharpening in camera when talking about RAW files. The second reason was because the whole post was about LightRoom, so why would he suddenly switch gears and talk about sharpening in camera without even making a new paragraph when the post was all about LightRoom? The third and most compelling reason I was sure was that LightRoom has a sharpening setting where the value 65 has meaning, but, more importantly, the cameras don't have such a setting; they just have a little plus/minus slider with no numerical values.

Last edited by CFWhitman; 06-25-2014 at 06:37 AM.
06-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
Interesting discussion!

I already purchased Lightroom, not in the least for its archiving functionality. Great program, very fast cataloguing of all photos, even when they are all stored on my NAS (through Wifi). Very impressive. So I do not need the Silkypix program anymore for PP.

Still, the question keeps nagging me: how does the Pentax/Silkypix software apply lens profiles. It appears that it is something pretty sketchy for everyone.