Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

Q7 dynamic range

It is a bright, sunny day here in Maryland. My backyard has deep shadow under the trees and bright sun in the grassy areas. My Q handles it OK but burned out high lights are all too easy. I was playing around with the Q while my dogs wandered around doing doggy business. The snapshots were OK as long as the mix of shadow and light leaned mostly towards the bright light in the photo. I tinkered around with exposure and found I could avoid the burned out areas but lose detail in the shadows or have better shadow detail with the risk of burned out highlights. This is not a complaint, just the set up for my questions below.

My long term plan is to pick up a Q7 when their price, for a used or new one, drops enough. The Q7 review says "expanded dynamic range: yes" but I am hoping someone who has used both can give a better description. How does the dynamic range in the Q7 compare to the original Q?

06-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
It is a bright, sunny day here in Maryland. My backyard has deep shadow under the trees and bright sun in the grassy areas. My Q handles it OK but burned out high lights are all too easy. I was playing around with the Q while my dogs wandered around doing doggy business. The snapshots were OK as long as the mix of shadow and light leaned mostly towards the bright light in the photo. I tinkered around with exposure and found I could avoid the burned out areas but lose detail in the shadows or have better shadow detail with the risk of burned out highlights. This is not a complaint, just the set up for my questions below.

My long term plan is to pick up a Q7 when their price, for a used or new one, drops enough. The Q7 review says "expanded dynamic range: yes" but I am hoping someone who has used both can give a better description. How does the dynamic range in the Q7 compare to the original Q?
Expanded dynamic range is just a feature that enhances the shadows and highlights by boosting the ISO. The Q7 sensor itself does have a bit more dynamic range that that of the Q, but you're still going to be in point-and-shoot territory. You won't see a big bump unless you step up the sensor size.

With technology moving at its current rate, I'm sure that in a few years, whatever sensor they put in the upcoming Q will deliver performance closer to today's 1" sensors, so it might be worth waiting for now.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

Try to reduce the exposure so that the highlights are dark enough for not being burned out. Then increase brightness (especially of the shadows) by changing the picture parameters to "highkey + 2 or 3 or 4" in combination with a slightly reduced contrast-setting. This is IMHO the best looking way to deal with a high contrast scene.
06-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #4

Take the pics in raw.and fix the details in the shadow afterwards in software.
Maybe that works.

Regards
Christian