Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Lenses for the Q -- an idea for someone with the right skills

Hi All,

I was playing with my Panasonic FZ 1 -- I keep it for sentiment's sake as it was my first birding camera -- and the thought hit me that someone with the right skills could use the 4.6 - 55.2mm f2.8 (that would be @ 25-300 EQ at a constant f2.8 on a Q) Leica lens to make a great super zoom for the Q. On the FZ1, both zoom and focus are by wire, and the lens is collapsible, but the mechanical helicoids for each have to exist within the lens, so some manual mechanical linkage should be possible. The same goes for the aperture mechanism.

The FZ1 sensor is smaller than the Q's though, it's a 1/3.2" IIRC, so the image circle might not be large enough, but the cameras are going for @ $35 used on ebay, and that's for working ones. . . and there are a lot of other superzoom compacts from other mfgs that might be used, and there are probably some models that even use the same format sensor -- I haven't looked. . . It seems to me that this could be a worthwhile project because a lens of this high optical quality in Q mount done right would probably command a pretty high price.

Any thoughts?

Scott

06-07-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

Check if the backfocus large enough first. It might happen lens unusable on the Q at all.

Pentax Q electronic shutter X-sync is about 1/13 time, I guess think won't be good for birding. The FZ1 had only 2 megapixels, so probably lens resolution wasn't much better.
06-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Being most of us already have a 300mm lens for a DSLR a superzoom to me would be something much longer. I would like to see a 80-210 (400-1000mm) native Q AF zoom @ f2.8 or longer. Now that would be a project to build but I don't have the knowledge to do it. I wonder what it would take to get a 18-135 Pentax zoom with internal AF motor to wire to the Pentax K 2Q adapter to get the AF to work. Now we have a shutter and a AF motor. Nikon did it for the "1" system and some Nikon zooms.
06-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi All,

I was playing with my Panasonic FZ 1 -- I keep it for sentiment's sake as it was my first birding camera -- and the thought hit me that someone with the right skills could use the 4.6 - 55.2mm f2.8 (that would be @ 25-300 EQ at a constant f2.8 on a Q) Leica lens to make a great super zoom for the Q. On the FZ1, both zoom and focus are by wire, and the lens is collapsible, but the mechanical helicoids for each have to exist within the lens, so some manual mechanical linkage should be possible. The same goes for the aperture mechanism.

The FZ1 sensor is smaller than the Q's though, it's a 1/3.2" IIRC, so the image circle might not be large enough, but the cameras are going for @ $35 used on ebay, and that's for working ones. . . and there are a lot of other superzoom compacts from other mfgs that might be used, and there are probably some models that even use the same format sensor -- I haven't looked. . . It seems to me that this could be a worthwhile project because a lens of this high optical quality in Q mount done right would probably command a pretty high price.

Any thoughts?

Scott
If it's a large zoom range, the lens wasn't designed for a large sensor.

There are probably other donor cameras/lenses that would work. They might need to protrude into the mount a bit but I'd guess it wouldn't interfere with any of the parts.