Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentax Q 01 Prime/Q Changes?

Has anyone else noticed that it's getting difficult to find the 01 prime lens for the Q? Not impossible, mind you, but increasingly difficult. B&H doesn't even seem to have it listed any longer. And none of the Pentax Q7 kits seem to have an 01 lens option. Only the zooms or the body alone. I wonder if something is going on, big-picture-wise. Prices for the Q7 are dropping and perhaps the next Q is on the way. That wouldn't be a surprise. But I can't help but wonder if the next version will feature more changes than we might expect. Perhaps the 01 won't cover the next camera's image circle? I'm only thinking aloud here.

06-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
pqx

I think lessons have been learned and we are in for a good shock. Yes these lens 01 disappeared as fast as they came somehow quickly replaced by the lesser but respectable 02 and later 15-45 (could not remember #no haa..).

Anyway, i see sensor going up, size slightly bigger and controls in the same vein but (forum friendly) more of want was missing. Since companies included Pentax are in business to be in business we will not get everything though ;-)
06-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama still has it:
Pentax 01 Standard Prime 8.5mm f/1.9 Lens 22067

But yeah, it's strange that bundles with the 01 lens are no longer being offered in the US.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2014, 01:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bundles of the Qx with the 01 have disappeared form the UK as well and the 01 isn't sold separately.

06-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Think new Q body is about to appear, based on price drop of Q7. Pentax controls prices and only lets them drop so much, unless there is a replacement due. Guessing Photokina time. Will add the new camera or Q7 to my original Q.

Are any Q/ 01 kits available in Japan? Would be a shame to lose the best IQ lens of the whole Q system. The 01 is the last lens that needs updating. Will never let mine go.

Q could use more high speed, high quality primes. A pancake would be incredible. The leaf shutter might make it impossible.

The Q system is on a roll. Q can do. Have fun.
thanks
barondla
06-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

They are still available on amazon
06-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
They are still available on amazon
Yes, but I think only as Japanese imports
06-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

They are available in the U.S. through the Pentax Webstore. However, they are listed as a special order item that may take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery. Of course, it's only recently that they made a special version for the Q7 Premium Kit.

06-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
They are available in the U.S. through the Pentax Webstore. However, they are listed as a special order item that may take 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
April 2013 I and several other fellow PF members had a discussion with Ricoh Imaging Vice-President Jim Malcolm. As long ago as that, when we asked about stocking the 01 in the USA, we were told it was difficult for Ricoh-USA to get a supply to sell. Pentax apparently didn't manufacture a significant stand-alone quantity of the 01 lens and it appears they haven't done since - they seem to be limited to packaging in Premium kits.
06-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Yes, but I think only as Japanese imports
I ordered mine through a Japanese import from Amazon. The deal went well.
06-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The 01 has always been difficult to source, the best way was to buy it in a Q kit.

Not sure why they haven't made it more available but I don't see any big signals for a new Q version.
(I have been wrong before.)
06-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #12

FYI, there are still some original Q kits with the 01 Prime (only black) or the 01 Prime + 02 Zoom (black & white) available from the German Ricoh web store: PENTAX Q

I don't think that we will se a new Q body at Photokina. IIRC I have read in another thread that a Ricoh rep. said the next Q body will be released in 2015. That's still 7 months away (in the best case).