Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q is tiny, but still....

I find it to be just too bulky to pocket and have with me all the time. Granted, I only have the 02 lens, so that's part of the issue. I'm also fairly certain it's in part due to the fact that I've lost my photographic drive over the last year and a half or so and just go "eh" when I do think about grabbing it. How do all you Qsers keep yours with you? Do you have a slick system that I'm missing out on, cargo pants, or are you just so passionate about photography that even though the Q is too bulky to pocket (again, my perspective) that you just do whatever it takes, since it's much smaller than your favorite K-mount?

I have this case and use this sling, but I generally leave the Q at home on the shelf next to the K200D. (I do have the manfrotto mini tripod thing that is attached on the bottom at the tripod mount, but that doesn't add anything that the case setup I use can't handle, and is wonderfully convenient...).

06-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 02 lens is kinda annoying when all I wear are jeans. I'm thinking to get a 01 lens just to deal with that. At this time, I leave my Q at home because I carry my Timbuk2 all the time with me and that has my k-3. I only bring the Q to events where DSLRs are banned. Maybe that'll change when I get the 01 lens.
06-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I pretty much use 01 exclusively with Q and carry 06 when it is useful.
06-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I pretty much use 01 exclusively with Q and carry 06 when it is useful.
That's the ideal arrangement, especially when it is cool enough to wear a jacket. An 06 in the jeans pocket can elicit a paraphrase of the famous Mae West line. If I had the 08 I might also carry it.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The 02 lens is kinda annoying when all I wear are jeans. I'm thinking to get a 01 lens just to deal with that. At this time, I leave my Q at home because I carry my Timbuk2 all the time with me and that has my k-3. I only bring the Q to events where DSLRs are banned. Maybe that'll change when I get the 01 lens.
If you really want a truly pocketable, capable camera there's always the GR - but the Q/01 comes very, very close.

06-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's the ideal arrangement, especially when it is cool enough to wear a jacket. An 06 in the jeans pocket can elicit a paraphrase of the famous Mae West line. If I had the 08 I might also carry it.

If you really want a truly pocketable, capable camera there's always the GR - but the Q/01 comes very, very close.
Well considering I can get a 01 lens for about 1/5th the price of the GR, I think I'm going with the 01 lens
06-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cargo pants...that's what the pockets are for.
06-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #7

cargo pants, 08 lens fitted 06 in the wife's handbag.

06-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 01 lens is nice, it makes the Q act like a rangefinder!
06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like you (I suspect), when I go out, I try to carry the Q/Q7 in a way that's unobtrusive and discrete, yet offers quick and easy access.

Toward that end, I find using a travel vest, like this, works quite well...

Travel Vests, Travel Clothing, Wrinkle-Free, Lightweight:SCOTTEVEST, INC./SeV

For the camera, I've rigged both ends its neck strap to a ring with a pinch clip. I loop the strap with the logo turned inward around my neck (ID lanyard-style), then clip the open end to an old wrist strap that's been liberated from a P&S and attached to the camera. This creates an extended tether so the camera can be placed within an inside lower-pocket of the vest. The longer tether allows the weight of the camera to be comfortably carried by the vest/pocket, not my neck. As a result, both hands are free so everything is convenient and carried quite stealthily. The loop connection also helps protect the camera from harm, if it slips from my grip, or it falls out of the pocket by accident. I mount either the 06, or 01 on the camera. The interior pocket is large enough to handle either combo. In another lower vest pocket, I balance the weight with an extra charged battery, plus lenses I anticipate might be useful during the outing. When something interesting is encountered, I simply slip the camera out of its pocket, take the shot(s), then slip the camera back into its place and carry-on. No one is the wiser...

Anyway, just a suggestion that works for me... it might for you...

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 06-11-2014 at 06:32 PM.
06-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
pqx

I have a little pouch that i keep in my hand. The q has a wristrap connected so when needed it takes about 5-10 seconds to rip it out the pouch! I use tiny d-mount lens from 1938 and they are quite sharp and very light.
06-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got the leather Pentax Optio case. It's very small and fits the Q, 01, 02, 03, 06, and a few batteries and filters.
I don't pocket the Q at all, I opt for connecting it to my belt with a Peak Design Capture. I also use the capture for my K-3 and K-01s.
The Q is unobtrusive when is connected to the belt.
06-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

My wife puts her Q in her handbag. Problem solved! And I carry my K-01 in something that would probably be denounced as a 'manbag'.

It's quite interesting from a cultural point of view how people's lifestyles affect their choice of camera. It seems there is a real aversion to carrying a shoulder bag in America, but it's completely normal in Asia. The Q and other mirror less cameras will fit nicely into a shoulder bag.

If you go everywhere by car, size is not such a big issue, but it makes absolutely no sense to travel by car in Japan most of the time. On days when I take too many lenses, I really regret it. Also big rucksacks are considered a nuisance in busy public places because the wearer will tend to whack people in the face when they turn around.

Anyway my point is that what may seem an awkwardly in-between form factor in one country might be just right in another, because of people's lifestyles.
06-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will echo everyone's recommendation for the 01 lens. With that lens mounted on the Q the system is the biggest camera you could slip into a coat pocket. On a summer day it's still small enough to carry in one hand. I have a Tamron lens pouch with belt loops that I wear on my left hand side. The Q with any lens seems to fit just fine and the pouch is hardly a burden to beat. I've seen people carry their cellphones in pouches bigger than a lens pouch!
06-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Cargo pants...that's what the pockets are for.
06-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It seems there is a real aversion to carrying a shoulder bag in America, but it's completely normal in Asia.
It's interesting the subtle things that will affect the perception of this in America. If a man gets a 'messenger style' bag and wears it on the opposite shoulder by putting the strap over his head, he can get away with it a little more (though depending on other factors he might be called "geeky"), but if he wears something on the same shoulder, then it's a "man-bag," unless it's quite large (in which case it's a "book bag," a reference to the bags that college/university students sometimes use). Also, if it's too small, people will call it a "man-purse" no matter which shoulder he wears it on. Most men would not want something they use to be referred to as a "man-bag" or "man-purse."